Trailer Rehab - Hubs and Tires?

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by alexjaume, Jul 24, 2013.

1. alexjaume

alexjaume I Love microskiff.com!

I'm in the process of fixing a MasterRyde trailer that my Riverhawk B-60 rides on for an upcoming 6 hour haul.

I added new lights and also added a trailer jack wheel.

I removed the old painted hubs and decided to get galvanized Tie Down replacement hubs. My trailer came with super/posi lube straight spindles. Anybody have any good or bad experiences with tie down engineering products?

I would also like to replace the tires and get a spare here shortly. Any brands to avoid? The trailer came to me with Duros on it but I've read some bad reviews on them. Read great things about Maxxis but at a hefty price. Any input on the Wally World tire/rim combo?

I also read that for such a light load, passenger vehicle tires can be used.

What tires are y'all running on your light skiff trailers?

Any other areas i need to think about besides lights, tires, and hubs/bearings before a 6 hour road trip?

Also, why is the search function on here so hard to use?!?! I had better luck with a google search "microskiff forum and" then whatever I was searching for... Kind of annoying!

Anyway, thanks for the help!

-Alex

2. alexjaume

alexjaume I Love microskiff.com!

Got the Tie Down Eng galvanized hubs mounted yesterday... Much smoother than the old hub and bearings. Not sure when the original bearings were repacked but the grease looked pretty milky.

Still need some new shoes though... What tires does microskiff recommend for a 12" wheel?

Looked at maxxis and I didn't see any trailer tires for 12"ers.

3. BugDopeforENP

BugDopeforENP I Love microskiff.com!

Post this in the general discussion you will get a fast response. I never had 12" tires. Walmart will have them. Honestly I don't think it's going to make a difference which brand you choose. Let a little air out of your tires (2-3 psi from max psi) to prevent from bouncing so much going down the interstate and they will track a little better. Good luck and don't forget the boat strap.