trailer Question

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by kstovall82, Apr 25, 2011.

1. kstovall82

kstovall82 I Love microskiff.com!

I will be towing my skiff a lot and was wondering what trailer you would recomend? I live in north GA and will be making several trips per year to the coast and also will be doing a lot of lake hopping since I have so many within 1 hour drive time. I the Ramlin worth the extra $$$$$?

2. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

You didn't say what skiff it was. Personally I think it's a waste of money to get a fully custom, or very expensive trailer for a light weight boat. If it's a heavy rig then you need something that fits very well, but not usually for a skiff. I've seen guys buy a $3000 trailer for a $2000 hull and it baffles me. Can't say what brand I'd buy up there cause I don't know whats readily available, but most basic trailers have similar designs and features. I've been shopping and pricing alot of trailers lately down here. For a galvanized trailer you should be able to get it for under $800 easily, and a basic aluminum should run you under $1300 right now. I will be picking up my rolls axle aluminum trailer on thursday, with led lights and a jack it cost me $1180. Make sure whatever trailer you get either has LED lights, or buy a set from walmart and swap them out, theres no worse way to start a fishing trip then with glass shards in your hand :mad:.

3. kstovall82

kstovall82 I Love microskiff.com!

The skiff will be an Ankona SUV 17 cc.

4. firecat1981

firecat1981 BBA Counselor

If you are having it built just ask Mel what he recommends. I'm sure he can get a fairly cheap trailer and set it up right for your rig.

5. swaddict

swaddict Thread Killer

HB and ECC both use Ramlin, and in that situation the skiffs can be dry launched with those trailers. If that is an option with the SUV 17 then I would spend the extra for that trailer. Parts last longer when not dunked in saltwater. I personally like the side bunks that Ramlin uses verse the field goal posts that are on many trailers.

6. Rooster

Rooster Towee Calusa

Check out Tennessee Trailers. They are fairly near to you, I think that they are located in Soddy Daisy (what a name) Tennessee. I have one of their lightweight galavanized models and I thought that it was a reasonable price and good quality. You can see a picture of their trailer that I am referring to on toweeboats.com - go to the trailer photo link.

7. makin moves

makin moves Well-Known Member

Mel has the float on trailers built for the suv 17 and its a sweet trailer and a awsome ride. I have one under the 17 we have and going to order one for the copperhead soon

8. topnative2

topnative2 Well-Known Member

float on coming w/ my suv14

9. Gramps

Gramps Living & Dying in 3/4 Time

Float-On with the torsion axle is the tops! The torsion axle is only an option on the aluminum trailers now but I would love to see float-on use them on galvanized.