Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a running light issue on my trailer. All lights, brake lights and turn signals work except the driver side rear running light. I took that individual ground off and cleaned the frame up good and that didnt help. Thought maybe the light was bad so I swapped in a new one. Same thing. Works fine except the running light.

Any thoughts on what I should try next?

Thanks.

Registered
Sounds like you have a connection problem in the brown wire? Check for any connection sleeves/aka Butt splices ive had issues with them in past check any side marker connections as well ....

And when you find it use dielectric grease on the new connection 馃憤 i like to solder all my connections and coat with dielectric grease then slide a heat shrink over the connection when it tightens down grease will squeeze out aint no water getting to that connection 馃憤馃槑 just remember to put the heat shrink on before you solder LOL and have it far enough away the heat dont make the shrink start shrinking the wire gets hot ....

I Love microskiff.com!
1820 Action Craft
Use an Ohm meter and confirm a good ground connection between the vehicle and where your ground wire attaches at the light. I had a trailer that was grounded at the tongue but there was enough corrosion where the tongue connected to the trailer frame that the ground was no good, Ended up running a ground wire directly to the trailer frame.

Registered
1999 Carolina Skiff 16
Is the side marker light working? If so, the issue is between the marker and tail light.
If the brake/turn signal light is working, I would assume the ground is good. Check the brown wire for any sign of damage or corroded connectors.
When you say you swapped in a new light, are you saying a whole new light, or just a new bulb? If all else fails, temporary a new wire from the harness connector directly to the rear light and see if it works. Electrical issues can drive you insane

Registered
Stop That 馃榿 if it was a Ground the other lights wouldnt work 馃 its a faulty brown wire Happy Thanksgiving 馃構

If that side marker isnt lit up it might be the plug prongs at truck ,a while back i had to clean mine to get good contact but i bet its the connection at side marker or after ....

Registered
Being somewhat of a 鈥渞oad runner鈥 here鈥檚 the next check if your problem is not a ground issue鈥 Occasionally you鈥檒l have a break in a wire that鈥檚 not obvious. I use a jumper to connect the tongue end of that wire so that I can do an ohms check at rear of the trailer鈥 If that test shows a break I don鈥檛 waste a minute trying to find it 鈥 Instead I run a new wire from tongue to stern鈥 Job done - back on the road鈥

Registered
Surprised no one has said to do the simplest test of all. Turn the lights on, confirm all others are working, then pull the lens off the bad one and pull the bulb. Check with a test light or volt meter to see if you have 12 volts at the socket. If not, check between each wire and ground. If still no power, then work back till you find it.

Mine gave me fits when I 1st got it. Did all like you - cleaned grounds, ran new wires, and the marker lights worked and tail lights didn't. Turned out that it's a tilt bed trailer and there was corrosion in the pivot, therefore no ground behind that. Simple, but it was a hair puller at the time.

As said, if the other lights are working and you cleaned the ground and the other lights are grounded the same way, then tried it with a whole new light, then it's likely the hot wire is broken or a hot wire connection failed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts