Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
I’m on my second EZ Loader trailer for my old Maverick skiff -and it has oil bath hubs. Was very worried about them at first since I’m a high mileage user (towing an average of 20,000 miles yearly to one ramp or other....).

That was in 2005 - but they’ve been completely trouble free. Not one bit of oil loss and still have the original bearings... That’s over 250,000 miles trouble free. I did replace the axle last year since it was beginning to sag (and came with all new hubs, bearings- and now I have a new oil bath system in place..).

Can’t say enough good things about the “Reliable System” hubs that EZ Loaders come with. I’ve heard of problems with other makes...

Hope this helps.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
10,273 Posts
I had them on my last trailer. Never again. If it leaks you’ll smoke your bearings before you notice. I have the hubs that use air pressure to keep water out and they have been flawless. The previous owner had them on this trailer for over ten years...
http://www.airtighthubs.com/

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Can’t say enough good things about the “Reliable System” hubs that EZ Loaders come with
Had the same hubs on the same trailer. They were flawless in the time I owned the boat. I liked them so much I switched the hubs on my car hauler to oil bath. My only complaint was the sight glass was mostly worthless and I ended up switching to a different cap.

·
Towee Calusa
288 Posts
I had Bearing Buddies on a prior trailer. Was topping them off with grease the night before a long trip and could not get the pump line off - ended up popping out the little aluminum cover that holds the grease in the hub - NOT what you want to do before a long trip... A big part of my decision on my next trailer was that it came with non maintenance Vortex hubs which have been a dream - absolutely no maintenance... I will never not have them on any trailer that I own...

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
10,273 Posts
I had Bearing Buddies on a prior trailer. Was topping them off with grease the night before a long trip and could not get the pump line off - ended up popping out the little aluminum cover that holds the grease in the hub - NOT what you want to do before a long trip... A big part of my decision on my next trailer was that it came with non maintenance Vortex hubs which have been a dream - absolutely no maintenance... I will never not have them on any trailer that I own...
The Vortex hubs are very nice, they are what I had on the new trailer I had built for my last boat. Maintenance free.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Oil baths are great as long as the seals are good. When a seal fails you’ll have flaming hubs before you get home.with grease you can probably get home as long as you make sure there is no grease on the rims when you stop for fuel.

The vortex and vaults are sealed. ReplAce them every 10k miles and you are worry free.

I’ve already had to replace both seals on both wheels on my 2018 ramlin. I’d imagine if they were oil I’d have spent a while on the side of the road somewhere.

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Didnt realize so much out there. I don’t really get the Vortex hub ,looks like you’re playing with fire,not greasing up
Why couldn’t you use same said Grease in a greasable bearing set up ? It cant be all about the seals & cap
I think with my mess , 20 + years old , the oil bath might be trouble too. I handnt thought about spindle wear. If I ever buy a new trailer I will spec it though
Granddad always said “ put grease on your tool if you don’t keep it in the shed. “

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I think what affects most if not all is the rust that forms on axle right at the rear seal. I tried bearing saver stainless collars that cover this area and they seem good. I have no experience with anything other than plain old greased hubs. I’m sure all types work for some and fail for someone else. I’m also a believer in once you toast a bearing and damage a spindle or rear seal surface it is never ending maintenance and borrowed time. Never had a replacement hub/bearing last as long as original did before it failed.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts