Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have always had super slicked out bunks for my dry launching. Use the wax all the time. The past few times I’ve launched the boat the damn boat is sticking to the wax. Idk if it is cause of the colder weather or what. I reapplied heavily some more wax last time and it still sticks bad. To the point that I have to dunk the trailer and have someone push it off hard.

My thought is get some silicone spray and soak the bunks and maybe scrape off some wax and then apply.

Anyone had this issue? Pisses me off as my boat would normally fly off the trailer to now giving my fishing partner a hernia. And yes all the rollers spin freely.

·
Towee Calusa
297 Posts
So I have always had super slicked out bunks for my dry launching. Use the wax all the time. The past few times I’ve launched the boat the damn boat is sticking to the wax. Idk if it is cause of the colder weather or what. I reapplied heavily some more wax last time and it still sticks bad. To the point that I have to dunk the trailer and have someone push it off hard.

My thought is get some silicone spray and soak the bunks and maybe scrape off some wax and then apply.

Anyone had this issue? Pisses me off as my boat would normally fly off the trailer to now giving my fishing partner a hernia. And yes all the rollers spin freely.
I got some skid plates (plastic I think - I might have gotten them at Bass). I have not had to spray them with anything. I would caution you to be very careful if you put them on your bunks as my skiff was more slippery than a banana peel and it would be easy to have the skiff unintentionally off load if you did not secure until in the water to launch...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Would try scraping the old wax off, scrubbing clean and rewarding.
As the poster above mentions, if you go to the plastic ones, they are slippery as all get out.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea I’ve seen the plastic. Probably not going that route, but I’m just going to scrape off the old and apply the silicone most likely. It should fall off then. I have a SS safety release clip that stays on after I take off my winch clip. It’s one of those snatch release sailing swivels and I have it attached to my safety chain so no more trying to unhook the winch as the boat wants to slide down the trailer while launching.

·
Panhandler
2,716 Posts
Only use Gulf Wax on my bunks. Launched the other day in chilly conditions and it slid right off. I wrap the dock line around the winch stand to keep in place until I'm aboard.

I apply the wax after the trailer has sat in the lot while fishing. The sun warms the carpet and the wax really goes on easily and into the carpet fibers. Strange that yours is suddenly tacky/gummy.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thought about new carpet and starting fresh too. I wax the whole bunk as well. Last time I waxed the hell out of it too.

I’m gonna try cleaning it and dousing it with silicone.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,525 Posts
Sounds like you should hit it with a hair dryer and scrape the top layer off, then reapply if you want to keep using Gulf wax.
I use Liquid Rollers for my Vantage trailer. I have to hold onto the boat and get ready to jump on when I disconnect the idiot chain and winch strap. As soon as I let go, the boat slides quickly off. I like Zika's idea of using a dock line wrapped around the winch post and back to the bow cleat so I release the boat when I'm ready at the console.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds like you should hit it with a hair dryer and scrape the top layer off, then reapply if you want to keep using Gulf wax.
I use Liquid Rollers for my Vantage trailer. I have to hold onto the boat and get ready to jump on when I disconnect the idiot chain and winch strap. As soon as I let go, the boat slides quickly off. I like Zika's idea of using a dock line wrapped around the winch post and back to the bow cleat so I release the boat when I'm ready at the console.
If you saw my quick release swivel setup you’d jump on boat vs the rope and the bow cleat. Just let boat down with winch until short chain (safety chain) with snap swivel is tight, unhook winch strap and when you’re ready just pull chord on snap swivel and it releases the boat.

I need to post a pick.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,525 Posts
If you saw my quick release swivel setup you’d jump on boat vs the rope and the bow cleat. Just let boat down with winch until short chain (safety chain) with snap swivel is tight, unhook winch strap and when you’re ready just pull chord on snap swivel and it releases the boat.

I need to post a pick.
Yes please...

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes please...

Here you go... just shorten your safety chain and attach one of these. You pull the pin out with the small rope I attached and it releases and slides down after the winch is removed. Just remember to remove the winch or you’ll be trying to stop that 100 mph handle.
8BBA2BFF-9C6F-4746-9100-1E8350A609AE.jpeg

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,525 Posts
Thanks FSUDrew! I actually have some snap shackles. Should work great.

Reactions: FSUDrew99

·
Bait Hater
584 Posts
Gulf Wax never worked on my bunks. They were always sticky when i was using the wax. Went back to the Liquid Rollers spray and have not had a problem since

1 - 20 of 36 Posts