Trailer Bearing Grease...how often...

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by CaptainRob, Jul 28, 2015.

1. CaptainRob

CaptainRob Hell's Bay 17.8 Whipray

How often do you all grease your trailer bearings...? A friend and I were having a discussion about this the other day and he said he only greases his about 1 time per month....because he uses a dry launch trailer and doesn't feel he looses any grease during transit.

I usually put a few pulls in before each trip, but find I am generally replacing grease that looks almost new. I also dry launch my boat.

So, whats everyone preference....each time, 1 time per month, depends on mileage....

2. MariettaMike

MariettaMike Wish'n I was Fish'n!

I change mine twice a year and I wet launch/load in saltwater over 70 times/year . Been using automotive grease rated for disc brakes to get higher temperature ratings. This stuff.

http://www.autozone.com/greases-and-gear-oil/lubricant-grease/valvoline-14-1-oz-399-728-g-gm-chrysler-european-and-japanese-vehicles-multipurpose-grease-tube/54182_0_0/

NO marine grease. Marine grease has parrafin (wax) in it that just leaks out when it gets warm while making long trips on hot summer days.

3. devrep

devrep Well-Known Member

jeez once a month is overkill when submerging the bearings let alone dry launching. I have 2 skiffs, one is too big to dry launch, I jack up the wheels about every 2 to 3 months and spin them. If they feel good I leave them alone.

4. RunningOnEmpty

RunningOnEmpty I Love microskiff.com!

I just checked mine today and the manufacture forgot to add grease after installing the bearing buddies.

5. MariettaMike

MariettaMike Wish'n I was Fish'n!

Are you sure the Bearing Buddy isn't pushing the grease out? (That's why I prefer Super Lube)

6. mike_parker

mike_parker I Love microskiff.com!

I can dry launch one trailer but must wet launch another. I'm pretty anal about checking bearings every trip or so, unless I've only done short runs. You'd be surprised how much water can find it's way into the wet launch trailer. I just keep pumping until the grease coming out appears moisture free. I didn't know about the wax in marine grease, I'll have to try Marietta's suggestion.

7. devrep

devrep Well-Known Member

http://www.microskiff.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1434558928

8. RunningOnEmpty

RunningOnEmpty I Love microskiff.com!

The seals looked clean. Really it's my own fault for not checking when I bought it new. The wheels are still tight so I'm assuming that I caught it in time.

9. CurtisWright

CurtisWright Light, Strong, Cheap. Pick Two.

A few pumps before a long road trip and again on the way home.

a few pumps a monthish going to my local ramps and wet launching.