Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Fly-By-Night
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Traded my bro-in-law my 13' RiverHawk for a project boat a couple months back, because I needed more to work on after the hurricane. :)

Boat is called a Little Jewel. It's a 1992, 14' long and wider than a Gheenoe, with higher sides. Any of you guys seen one of these before? Has a center dry storage. Glass seems a little heavier and has flotation all along the sides. I have only found one mention of one online with a fair bit of searching.

So far I cleaned it out, we gutted the transom wit a chainsaw (super fast and easy, rotten wood). I dropped it off with Harry in Panacea and he put a composite transom in it for me, WAY more robust than the original. He also repaired the floor where the glass covering the keel was de-laminating.
Here are a couple with the transom gutted. Inside is going to be sand beige and outside will be dark green.
IMG_20181029_092146_01.jpg
IMG_20181029_092117_01.jpg
IMG_20181029_164118407_HDR.jpg
IMG_20181029_164123664_HDR.jpg

·
Fly-By-Night
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still have work to do, but it'll be a while before I get around to it. Here's what it looks like after I got a first coat mostly done on the inside.

Using Rustoleum marine paint since this ride doesn't warrant Awlgrip. Very satisfied with it so far, it lays down smooth, just did a bit of sanding and wiped down everything with mineral spirits before the first coat. Rolled on with a foam roller.
IMG_20190102_140447782_HDR.jpg IMG_20190107_155357718_HDR.jpg IMG_20190107_155403041.jpg

·
Fly-By-Night
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Come on, nobody has seen one of these before? You guys can ID a Hull and provide back story with way less info than this. I'm curious where they were built (I know the place was at least near Panama City), and what they were a splash of, or just inspired by Gheenoe or what.

·
Fly-By-Night
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A word of caution about wiping down with spirits. Sometimes it will leave a oily film and affects the adhesion of the paint. I've use denatured alcohol with good results.
Thanks, I'll find some alcohol before I get going on the next coat, or outside.

·
Fly-By-Night
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update.

I picked up my 9.9 Merc from having a carb job done the other day when I was at home. Still haven't done any sanding or painting on the outside.

I am thinking about building some type of alum cap for the bow so I can have an integrated trolling motor mount on the front.

I may have to mount some gunnel rails on this thing too, my buddy schooled me on how to get a good price on them again. @DuckNut I already have a Quart of some gloss dark green for the outside of the hull, what was the name of the coating/product you recommend for the bottom of duck boats? I think I remember reading a post you made with a recommendation for a specific one but can't remember, or find it.

·
Brandon, FL
10,094 Posts
Update.

I picked up my 9.9 Merc from having a carb job done the other day when I was at home. Still haven't done any sanding or painting on the outside.

I am thinking about building some type of alum cap for the bow so I can have an integrated trolling motor mount on the front.

I may have to mount some gunnel rails on this thing too, my buddy schooled me on how to get a good price on them again. @DuckNut I already have a Quart of some gloss dark green for the outside of the hull, what was the name of the coating/product you recommend for the bottom of duck boats? I think I remember reading a post you made with a recommendation for a specific one but can't remember, or find it.
Frog spit is one I have used. Some sort of silicone graphite.

Southern airboats has many of specific brand names.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I understand why the resin is dyed red. I'm a relative nubie to glass work, and what I don't know is exactly what it is that is used to make the resin reddish. Whatever it is, can I use it with epoxy? I've just about got all the glass cut for my Gheenoe refurb, and would like to give slightly colored resin a try, if I can.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts