Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Paddling away...
6,540 Posts
i am looking at the topper 1436 from bass pro
it is the new 2010 that holds 20 hp instead of 15 hp
i have a 30hp motor that i want to put on a boat
do you believe this boat will handle it?
I'm sure that it will handle it. But you might have problems if you get stopped by FWC.

·
Paddling away...
6,540 Posts
i didnt think it was actually a law but a recommendation? at least thats what every one has told me. and i also dont live in florida so i wonder if the sc game wardens would be to strict on it?
Oh, I have no clue on that. That's what I have always heard though. I know an insurance company wouldn't insure a boat that is overpowered, but who's going to insure a jon boat.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah i have no plans to insure it. i am going to look into the regulations on the hp ratings though if it is not a law then i will pro put it on. i had the motor on a boat that was rated for a about a ten and really beefed up the transom but i still knew it was to much so i took it off after one trip and am now looking for an affordable boat that will handle it

·
> PRO STAFF <
7,532 Posts
Specs for the hull:

http://www.trackerboats.com/boat/specs.cfm?boat=3124

Regulations for South Carolina:

http://www.boat-ed.com/sc/course/p2-1_knowyourcapacity.htm

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:ALzxZgNaz6MJ:www.boater101.com/Course/documents/SC/SCstatelaws.pdf+south+carolina+boating+regulations+maximum+horsepower&cd=6&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Looks like SC enforces the federal rules regarding horsepower. Which is controlled under the US Coast Guard regulations.
So overpowering can cause you problems if the LEO feels like enforcing the statutes.

5. Maximum Loading and Horsepower
The State of South Carolina does not have any maximum loading and horsepower
requirements that are in addition to federal regulations. To review federal regulations, refer to
the section on Capacity Plates included in Chapter 1 of this course.
The following information was approved by NASBLA and is included in Chapter 1 of the
Boater101 Course:
Capacity Plates
It is required for all mono-hull boats under 20 feet built on or after November 1, 1972 to have
a capacity plate approved by the USCG. In addition some manufacturers voluntarily install
capacity plates on boats larger than 20 feet. This plate must be visible from the operator’s
station. The capacity plate lists a safe motor size, the maximum number of persons to be
carried onboard, and the total weight the boat can carry including persons, motor, and gear.
When operating your boat be sure to adhere to the restrictions listed on the capacity plate.
Not only is it dangerous to overpower or overload a small boat, since they can swamp or
capsize more easily, but it is also illegal. In many states, there are fines and penalties for
exceeding capacity recommendations, including carrying more than the maximum number of
peopl

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum [smiley=cheers.gif]
   I wouldn't think you are planning to "car top"
  the boat since it would mean removing and
  dragging around a 30 HP motor. The 1436
  is a pretty narrow jon... Why not get a wider
  boat that is rated for 30 HP and have a safer,
  more useable package all the way around.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Specs for the hull:

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:ALzxZgNaz6MJ:www.boater101.com/Course/documents/SC/SCstatelaws.pdf+south+carolina+boating+regulations+maximum+horsepower&cd=6&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Looks like SC enforces the federal rules regarding horsepower. Which is controlled under the US Coast Guard regulations.
So overpowering can cause you problems if the LEO feels like enforcing the statutes.

requirements that are in addition to federal regulations. To review federal regulations, refer to
The following information was approved by NASBLA and is included in Chapter 1 of the
Boater101 Course:
Capacity Plates
It is required for all mono-hull boats under 20 feet built on or after November 1, 1972 to have
a capacity plate approved by the USCG. In addition some manufacturers voluntarily install
capacity plates on boats larger than 20 feet. This plate must be visible from the operator’s
station. The capacity plate lists a safe motor size, the maximum number of persons to be
carried onboard, and the total weight the boat can carry including persons, motor, and gear.
When operating your boat be sure to adhere to the restrictions listed on the capacity plate.
Not only is it dangerous to overpower or overload a small boat, since they can swamp or
capsize more easily, but it is also illegal. In many states, there are fines and penalties for
exceeding capacity recommendations, including carrying more than the maximum number of
peopl

ok thank you that is what i needed to know. i looked around alot but never came across that some how. i would like to have a bigger boat and am really looking for one but i am 18 and dont really have to much money to play with i have saved about 1000 and don know how much more can come up with. i have looked every where for used and check craigslist constantly but nothing comes up in my price range for the boat i need. so thank you for researching that and keeping me from a ticket haha.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Specs for the hull:

Boater101 Course:
Capacity Plates
peopl

ok thank you that is what i needed to know. i looked around alot but never came across that some how. i would like to have a bigger boat and am really looking for one but i am 18 and dont really have to much money to play with i have saved about 1000 and don know how much more can come up with. i have looked every where for used and check craigslist constantly but nothing comes up in my price range for the boat i need. so thank you for researching that and keeping me from a ticket haha.
A Carolina Skiff can easily be found for $1,000 14 or 16ft. Both will handle a 30 but the J16 has way more room and will plane easier.

·
> PRO STAFF <
7,532 Posts
Fiberglass jon boat
Carolina Skiff J16

Length (feet): 15
Length (inches): 8
Length (LOA): 15 ft. 8 in.
Beam: 64 in.
Height (transom): 15 / 20 in.
Draft (max): 3 - 6 in.
Weight (dry): 400 lbs.
Maximum Capacity: 1,015 lbs.
Maximum People: 5
Hull Type: Flat
Hull Material: Fiberglass
Drive Type: Outboard
Engine (Max): 40 hp

You'll find used hulls for about a thousand.
Watch your local classifieds and craigslist.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah i have actually looked that those alot and thought about getting one but i do alot of river fishing which involves alot of rocks so i think im leaning more toward an aluminum boat so i can get up in there instead of haveing to go in my buddies boats every once in a while.

·
Paddling away...
6,540 Posts
yeah i have actually looked that those alot and thought about getting one but i do alot of river fishing which involves alot of rocks so i think im leaning more toward an aluminum boat so i can get up in there instead of haveing to go in my buddies boats every once in a while.
I know it's far, but I had seen a 16 ft mod-v jon boat with trailer for $300 in Pembroke Pines FL. But I'm sure it's gone by now.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
wow that is a really good deal but yes to far.
i think unless i find a good deal on a used one and in really good shape which is what i want then i am just going to have to wait till i come up with about 500 to 750 more to play with so i can just get a bigger boat but i have no idea when more money is goin to come oh well. i still have my dads boats to use untill then so waiting will be best

·
Paddling away...
6,540 Posts
wow that is a really good deal but yes to far.
i think unless i find a good deal on a used one and in really good shape which is what i want then i am just going to have to wait till i come up with about 500 to 750 more to play with so i can just get a bigger boat but i have no idea when more money is goin to come oh well. i still have my dads boats to use untill then so waiting will be best

My suggestion would be to hold on to the cash. Save it and keep saving more. Keep checking on craigslist on a daily basis. Something WILL come up. You know how many times I had cash but I couldn't find any boats for sale. And then when I found great deals I didn't have any cash. My buddy was able to come across a 16'4 mod-v jon boat with a 40hp johnson, a motorguide trolling motor, trailer, everything in perfect working condition for $1200 on craigslist. We made the drive up to port charlotte and he bought it. The boat has been great.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
yeah when i didnt have money i saw all kinds of deals but now that i have had money i cant find anything. but ill prob just get new one so i know its good and i already have the motor and trailer so i want have to invest much more money in it to get it ready to go. i know there will always be more to add but it would work till i got more money to trick it out

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i actually found this and looks like it would be my best bet for a new boat. i will still look around but i really like this design

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2008-ALUMACRAFT-1648NCS-Riveted-Jon-94416567

1 - 20 of 20 Posts