Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, for some ungodly reason, I got rid of my 89 chevy 1500 when I graduated college and bought a mom car; a 2012 Nissan Rogue. I think I have found the perfect gheenoe (15'4 with a 9.9 merc) to get me into the world of motorized fishing, but I am a little worried from some of the things I have heard about towing with these little fuel efficient sedan-like engines and transmissions.

Should I be worried? I don't think the rig would even be close to being over the towing capacity that is listed online (1,000 lbs), but the local Nissan dealer scared me when I asked and they mentioned it could put too much stress on whats under the hood. Side note, I live about 400 yards from the boat ramp I'll be utilizing most of the time...

I appreciate any knowledge you all can provide.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
400 yards???

A rope and garden tractor would get the job done.
Lol, I know. Could probably walk it down there. But what about when I want to make the trip across the panhandle to fish the flood tides in Jacksonville...

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,489 Posts
Just get a decent hitch or mabey that mom car has one. You'll be fine

Reactions: derf1865

·
Registered
247 Posts
So, for some ungodly reason, I got rid of my 89 chevy 1500 when I graduated college and bought a mom car; a 2012 Nissan Rogue. I think I have found the perfect gheenoe (15'4 with a 9.9 merc) to get me into the world of motorized fishing, but I am a little worried from some of the things I have heard about towing with these little fuel efficient sedan-like engines and transmissions.

Should I be worried? I don't think the rig would even be close to being over the towing capacity that is listed online (1,000 lbs), but the local Nissan dealer scared me when I asked and they mentioned it could put too much stress on whats under the hood. Side note, I live about 400 yards from the boat ramp I'll be utilizing most of the time...

I appreciate any knowledge you all can provide.
I tow my Gheenoe with a Honda Fit

·
Registered
852 Posts
Back when I fished Conroe a lot I encountered a young couple with a Pontiac Sunbird towing a twenty-something foot I/O cabin cruiser. They would launch at the free public launch and drive into a gentler-sloped pay to launch marina to recover it, acting like they had paid. The girl told me that it would drag their car down steep ramps, and that they took forever to stop when towing it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts