Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

221 - 240 of 261 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Check out Max Gain Systems to build your own anyway/length/diameter you want. I got an 8', /3/4" diameter superstick at Bass pro for around 90, for an Aero Rover powered paddle board.
Sidebar: Current plan would be to see what length I need to pole from my deck, and add an extension on the handle end to that desired length. By going to the handle end with the joint I'd still have a smooth 8' 'bottom' end to slide thru the anchoring device.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah man that thing works well for what I use it for. I also use it as a rowers seat but it’s a little long so I have to turn it longways and takes up a lot of room. I’m going to get the size down eventually.

And thanks! That is the dawn patrol grey. Really happy I went with it over the sage.
What is everyone using for anchor systems?
My wish list would be a power pole micro, but has anyone used the cheaper stick it type poles on a transom mount ?
Mostly fish slow flowing shallower river and TX flats.
Thanks!
i went with the jet sled anchor Todd offers but im mostly river fishing or lake fishing so that probably doesn’t help you out much.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah, That is the proper color, no doubt. I'll try to find similar.

Check out the Engel dry box / cooler. Got my 30 qt in white at Target for around 60. Bought the stainless hinges to replace the stupid plastic ones, and the Engel seat pad from Engel, probably another 50. Lightweight, well built and would certainly keep stuff cold for a day..I anticipate using it on the Aero Rover, if that ever gets shipped. Not as robust as a rotomold, but 1/3 the weight, and could use it for a rower seat. I wonder about the builds that have 1k and 70+# of multiple coolers on a day skiff. Best cooler seat I've had was the Canyon Pro Cube, now discontinued. 18" in each dimension. Hard to get a small cooler that is tall enough to row on but when I find a rotomold that works, I may glue a Tempress quick release pad on it and rig up a proper rower's seat..

Re: rowing. Had a good email exchange with Todd about the rowing frame, only thing that has held me back about Towees for the last decade and 2 other boats now. I know he's tried everything, but this duckboat already had generic lock mounts - inboard - on the gunnels in a good spot. I use Sawyers and Aaron's sending me out some 8' sticks setup the way I like. I can see it'll row fine like that, and if so I will probably rig new lock mounts outboard, pickup another 8-10" of width.

One of my old drift boats, I think it was Clack, used an HDPE block throughbolted in the gunnel turnover, with 3 vertical holes drilled front to back - lined up for rower's adjustment preferences. I'm leaning that way but going thru some proof of concept exercises before we start cutting stuff up. In fact the whole rig is proof of concept and after I pimp it out I'll either keep it for a fleet beater/loaner or sell it. This way I'll have determined how I want Todd to build my Towee...anyway Happy 4th, thanks again for the info, JW!
I will have to check those coolers out especially if you can get the cushion. Good luck getting that setup the way you like. I looked at those boats for a minute just trying to find a cheaper alternative and finally just pulled the trigger on the towee. Todd was great to work with too.
happy fourth to you

·
Registered
20 Posts
Putting a Lowrance Hook 2 7” withTriple Shot transducer on my 2014 Calusa. Looking for suggestions on how to mount the transducer. I always try to avoid drilling when possible. Thanks!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
74 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #227
99E1D4C0-089C-422F-A58C-3AAC83316B0D.jpeg

my solution at the moment is a short loop of bungee cord clipped to the transom eye. I use the 10’ push pole made by Carlisle (on sale thru old town canoe). it’s a 2 piece but I wanted it waterproof so I epoxied the two parts together. You might get away with a shorter one on the flats.

https://oldtowncanoe.johnsonoutdoors.com/otcsale/10-push-pole?id=22521

PP micro is on my wish list.

What is everyone using for anchor systems?
My wish list would be a power pole micro, but has anyone used the cheaper stick it type poles on a transom mount ?
Mostly fish slow flowing shallower river and TX flats.
Thanks!

·
Registered
60 Posts
And see
View attachment 144500

my solution at the moment is a short loop of bungee cord clipped to the transom eye. I use the 10’ push pole made by Carlisle (on sale thru old town canoe). it’s a 2 piece but I wanted it waterproof so I epoxied the two parts together. You might get away with a shorter one on the flats.

https://oldtowncanoe.johnsonoutdoors.com/otcsale/10-push-pole?id=22521

PP micro is on my wish list.
Seems to work well?
You fish rivers ?
Thanks

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #233
And see

Seems to work well?
You fish rivers ?
Thanks
I’ve been sight fishing snakehead in a shallow mud-bottom lake lately and the spike-bungee loop holds against the wind. The power pole or the other mounts would be quicker. The only issue is getting the spike into the loop since it’s hanging loose. Sometimes it takes a little fumbling. If the bottom is very hard or rocky I think this would not work because you have to get the spike down. My understanding is that the power pole holds on hard bottom by dragging on the surface.

·
Towee Calusa
291 Posts
Sorry, here’s a couple screenshots

https://imgur.com/a/wcCSLW2
https://imgur.com/a/VhJ4Q8p

I used a stern saver with the 3M adhesive and it has done well for me
x2 on the stern saver! I originally drilled a few holes that I was unhappy about the placement. Just went into "safe" mode and bought (what I think was called) a "Transom Saver" and mounted it over the holes I had drilled - can move transducer around to find best location with subtle adjustments...

·
Towee Calusa
291 Posts
Is anyone running one of the newer Yamaha 25's (non jet)? I'm re-powering (past Yamaha 20 stolen) and like the looks of the 25 - same weight, etc. Thoughts on running a motor that is slightly higher HP than CG Approval rating?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I will have to check those coolers out especially if you can get the cushion. Good luck getting that setup the way you like. I looked at those boats for a minute just trying to find a cheaper alternative and finally just pulled the trigger on the towee. Todd was great to work with too.
happy fourth to you
Great smallie action today, like old times... yeah, the Scott is rough, but it was here, in MN, and cheap! I have to fish it some with floors only, I built up a gheenoe and it was too tippy with a big pal of mine ion the deck. How's the stability on your rig in riverS? Thanks, JW

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for the responses on mounting transducer on 2014 Calusa. Bought the Stern Saver today. Also, going to install a Minn Kota Riptide Terrova 12v 55 with the Minn Kota Quick Release Bracket. I was wondering if you guys with a Minn Kota and the bracket could post some pics of these on the bow cap so I can get an idea of where exactly to install these.

Thanks!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Looking at getting a towee. Im pretty set on the skiff. I love everything about them. Just one question is there any hull slap on them?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #239
There's a couple pictures way back on page one of this thread of 2 different mounting styles. Mine's here:

https://www.microskiff.com/threads/towee-owners-thread-pics-tips-mods-and-questions.69362/#post-631378

Scroll up for @Ferrulewax

There's also some discussion of mounting experiences on page 3 (posts 49-53).

Thanks for the responses on mounting transducer on 2014 Calusa. Bought the Stern Saver today. Also, going to install a Minn Kota Riptide Terrova 12v 55 with the Minn Kota Quick Release Bracket. I was wondering if you guys with a Minn Kota and the bracket could post some pics of these on the bow cap so I can get an idea of where exactly to install these.

Thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Great smallie action today, like old times... yeah, the Scott is rough, but it was here, in MN, and cheap! I have to fish it some with floors only, I built up a gheenoe and it was too tippy with a big pal of mine ion the deck. How's the stability on your rig in riverS? Thanks, JW
It’s is very stable. When I fish solo I move front to back a good bit and never have any feeling of being tippy.
I also fish bigger rivers like the white in Arkansas on high flows with 2-3 guys with the same results. They are super stable.

221 - 240 of 261 Posts