Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 261 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A recent thread about prop choice got me thinking there should be a general Towee owners thread where we can share pictures, tips, mods and questions. I'll start...

I just bought a 2017 Calusa about 2 months ago. I've re-propped the 20 hp Suzuki with an 11p aluminum to avoid hitting the rev limiter, added tie downs for a cooler on the back bench, added V-marine push pole holders (plus home-built offset bracket) and added a quick release for the minn kota riptide. I'm kind of addicted to mods and DIY stuff so I'll probably be adding more crap. I'm currently shopping for a small anchor that will hold the boat but fit in the tiny hatches. I'm also curious to hear from people about storage ideas and how to deal with wet bench storage.
IMG_6682.jpg
IMG_6765.jpg
IMG_6808.jpg
IMG_6822.jpg
IMG_6823.jpg

Here's some pics:

·
I Love Skinny Water
5,281 Posts
Crazy Larry I guess no Towee owner's on here. I like their boats

·
Registered
22 Posts
What length is your trolling motor? And what bracket did you use? I am about to bite the bullet soon and buy the same thing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Running 54” on mine. It’s the shortest available for my model (Terrova). But like they say, you can go too short, but it’s hard to go too long.

If you haven’t checked out trolling motors.net, I would before you pull the trigger. I found them to have a wealth of knowledge, great customer service, and competitive prices. Call their number and you’ll be talking to the owner (George) in less than three rings.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine is also 54” Riptide powerdrive. It has a little over a foot sticking up when deployed.

The mount is the RTA-17. Got it on Amazon for $66. My bow cap wasn’t perfectly flat so I had to drill the puck out a little bit to get the locking pin through. I’m planning to make a similar puck out of wood and mount it to the garage wall to hang the motor

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I want to add this: the TM sticks out past the gunwale on both sides when it's up on the cradle. It's out enough that you have to watch it when pulling into a dock, so I wouldn't want it any longer. The angle and mounting position is such that it doesn't overhang the open area between the bench and bow cap. This trolling motor was on the boat when I got it but I suspect installed by Towee because it's positioned the same as most I've seen. I did see one picture where the motor was hanging just slightly to one side of the bow. Seems like that would overhang the space aft of the bow cap but probably give less chance of interference with docks.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Aha! you got the one from Texas. I was eyeing that one. Seemed like a well stocked set up for a great price. I will be interested in your thoughts about the jack plate for this boat. Are you going to be fishing rivers or salt or both?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Aha! you got the one from Texas. I was eyeing that one. Seemed like a well stocked set up for a great price. I will be interested in your thoughts about the jack plate for this boat. Are you going to be fishing rivers or salt or both?
Yeah, I made a whirlwind tour to get her- GA to Texas and back in 3 days.

Mostly Rivers. Musky, Stripers, Bass, i'll pole it for carp some as well- but she will probably be a freshwater boat for this portion of her life. I've got acess to a larger boat for the salt and the less I have to put this Towee in saltwater the better condition it will stay in. I definetly Like the Jack plate so far, with the anticavitation plate you can get this motor HIGH, which will be great for river running. But probably not nessisary by any means. I would honestly love to trade the 25 for a 20hp or I may end up going to a 2stroke jet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I want to add this: the TM sticks out past the gunwale on both sides when it's up on the cradle. It's out enough that you have to watch it when pulling into a dock, so I wouldn't want it any longer. The angle and mounting position is such that it doesn't overhang the open area between the bench and bow cap. This trolling motor was on the boat when I got it but I suspect installed by Towee because it's positioned the same as most I've seen. I did see one picture where the motor was hanging just slightly to one side of the bow. Seems like that would overhang the space aft of the bow cap but probably give less chance of interference with docks.
You answered my next question. I was going to ask how much space it took from the cap to the front bench. It just seems so in the way. I have thought about getting a cheap transom mount, but for some of the things I want to use it for, I think that would be a waste and I would eventually end up getting the bow mount.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looked at the trolling motor again. I was wrong about it not overhanging the space aft of the bow cap. I guess it didn’t bother me. Looks like the center mounting like @Ferrulewax above might be more out of the way. It definitely takes up most of the bow cap and makes standing up there difficult. That’s why I put the quick release on.

Pipsqueak for scale:

518A23D3-0BC7-4791-AB2F-E0B49D38623D.jpeg
31999048-796C-405C-89CE-65EF6FDF0C1E.jpeg

·
Registered
22 Posts
Looked at the trolling motor again. I was wrong about it not overhanging the space aft of the bow cap. I guess it didn’t bother me. Looks like the center mounting like @Ferrulewax above might be more out of the way. It definitely takes up most of the bow cap and makes standing up there difficult. That’s why I put the quick release on.

Pipsqueak for scale:

View attachment 89268 View attachment 89270
Awesome. Thanks.
It doesn’t seem too bad especially since you can just pull it off easily with the quick release when I know I won’t need it.

·
Forgotten Coaster
2,319 Posts
Towees are cool little boats. I've walked around one but have never fished one. Enjoy seeing the pix of how y'all are rigging them.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I’ve got two
One in fl and one in Ky.

Tohat 20 and Suzuki 20

Great little versatile boats.
Twins! Every man’s fantasy.

Do you have any detail pictures of the rear hinged deck in the 2nd picture? I was thinking about doing something like that. Also thinking about making some kind of removable deck for the front.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
609 Posts
Twins! Every man’s fantasy.

Do you have any detail pictures of the rear hinged deck in the 2nd picture? I was thinking about doing something like that. Also thinking about making some kind of removable deck for the front.
That #2 is in Florida and I’m not right now. It’s a simple 1” composite cut to fit and 1” composite slats to brace it .
Flush hinge on the seat. Simple and works.

1 - 20 of 261 Posts