Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Tough week fishing wise.

742 8
We just got back home yesterday for a week at the gulf. We stayed on Okaloosa Island, & I fished around the area. The first couple days, it was raining & stormy. Rough surf and full of grass. I really wanted to hang into a redfish off the beach this year since I’ve never managed to do so. That was my main focus that I intended on. But, Mother Nature didn’t want to cooperate. The grass hung around in the surf most of the week & was so thick most days that you couldn’t fish without it pilling up on the line & washing it down the beach. If I used spider weights to hold, it would just pile so much on the line, that anything I hooked would shake itself free be I could get it in. There were a few days that it was light enough to fish though. I managed some ladyfish, some small Spanish Macks, & a small shark that I somehow managed to tail hook. No redfish though. I went out in the kayak without much luck. I caught a few trash fish & a small species of barracuda. I was a little excited about that. I’d never caught a barracuda & sure wasn’t expecting one inshore from the yak. The last morning there, I was a little aggravated at the fishing so I went to the pier. I avoided it the whole trip. I don’t know why, I guess I really was just set on catching a red from the beach. Anyway I talked to the cashier, who was tying leaders on gotcha plugs. He said that they were catching a few Spanish off the end of the pier. I already had 2 gotchas rigged up, one with a red head & the other with green. That’s my go to lure on the pier. I’ve caught all kinds of stuff on them. When I made it out there, the Spanish bite was on fire!!! I really didn’t even have time to take pics. Most everyone out there was keeping them. I didn’t take a cooler since it was our last day there. So I was just measuring them on the notches they had carved in the pier rail & tossing them in random peoples coolers. Mostly local guys, but they were appreciative and let me have a good spot on the rail to cast. The dolphins were in there thick too. So if only one person hooked up, they were probably loosing their fish & lure to them. We figured out real quick that if a few of us casted at the same time & get hooked up, it would usually confuse the dolphins enough that we could all land our fish. With everyone working together like that, it was a good time. Outside of the first 2 days & grass being there most of the week, the weather was beautiful. We spent plenty of time lounging on the beach, met some cool people, & we ate good!!! Overall it was a good trip other than fishing was a little rough.

Glasses Water Cloud Sky Hat

Water Sky Plant Water resources Tire

Water Sky Lake Fisherman Boat

Water Sky People in nature Shorts Beach
Reactions: Drifter
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,515 Posts
Id recommend grabbing them sharks by the top of the head behind their gills.

What were you trying to catch the reds with?

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The channelocks are a strong move.
Lol, I normally use a homemade hook removal tool when shark fishing. But, I was targeting redfish & grabbed the channellocks just in case. They actually work pretty good for a budget shark dehooker or if you don’t know anyone to weld or make you a custom one.

· Registered
102 Posts
The barracuda is actually it’s one of its close cousins the southern sennet or a guachanche barracuda. Can’t remember which. Cool catch though!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts