Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After years of fishing in and owning a variety of boats - I decided with some trepidation to see if I could in fact build one - I went with Timm’s design Osprey 18 - so sad to hear his passing - he was welcoming and encouraging in all the chats we had.
I’m sure I’ll make a ton of mistakes but I think that’s all part of the fun and learning experience. Any tips and advice always welcome.
Here is the start .. strong back and added wheels

Attachments

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Looking good! Keep the build updates coming:D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well its been too long but finally got the build going. I struggled to get the frames / bulkheads aligned and after much checking and double checking I decided to break it down - re-cut the wood and re-squared up the strongback...hey presto all center lines lined up.
So this is where the build actually begins :)

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Steadily expoxying in the stringers in - making the cuts of the 3/4 x 1 longitudinally to allow for the bending - some trial and error but managed to get it sorted. Starting to see the shape coming together

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Looks like your doing a fine job and I like your well equipped shop.

·
Lowcountry Degen
2021 Conchfish 17.8
1,820 Posts
Looking great -- the Osprey is a beautiful boat; I look forward to seeing her come together!

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
After years of fishing in and owning a variety of boats - I decided with some trepidation to see if I could in fact build one - I went with Timm’s design Osprey 18 - so sad to hear his passing - he was welcoming and encouraging in all the chats we had.
I’m sure I’ll make a ton of mistakes but I think that’s all part of the fun and learning experience. Any tips and advice always welcome.
Here is the start .. strong back and added wheels
Looks great! I am just starting on mine this upcoming week. Received the plans a couple of weeks ago. Good luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Adding the first layer of plywood, cutting and "tacking" in place , started shaping the harpin to get the flow of the hull...that was a challenge and a leap of faith on some areas.. I was a little clumsy on the bow and had to scarf a piece in and re-shape

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Adding the second layer of ply - trying to get overlap on the previous section - the lines look very sharp - almost knife edge in the pictures but don't seem as extreme when viewed in the shop. Using plastic staples rather than screw and washer to adhere ply to frame and plywood to plywood

1 - 20 of 26 Posts