Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Beavertail B2
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2006 ETEC 60 Hp is going to cost more than I want to put into it. I figure now is the time repower. The Tohatsu is 10 lbs less which I'm not sure if is a big weight difference to be concerned about for hole shot and top speed. The engine will be mounted on a 2007 Beavertail B2 and I will get a prop from Forman. Looks like I can't get either until January. There are many Suzuki dealers locally in Corpus. And a Tohatsu an hour away and two hours away that I could do business with. I'm looking for opinions of why one engine over the other. I've looked thru a lot of post about each choice. Any and all opinions appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
961 Posts
I have heard great about the Tohatsu 60. I personally have a Suzuki 60 on the Osprey. Great motor can’t complain.
Definitely don’t worry about the 10 lbs. I’d be curious about how the Tohatsu ran on my boat too.

·
Waitin' on the flood !
2009 Beavertail BTX powered by a 2020 Tohatsu MFS60
211 Posts
Both are good choices. I went with the Tohatsu.

·
Registered
719 Posts
What are the prices your seeing out there? I been looking to replace my etec 50 on the osprey as well. Also neither are available locally here in Jacksonville.

·
Registered
2007 Beavertail B2
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Suzuki will run a little over 9K which will include all gauges and binnacal. Prop not included. No price on Tohatsu yet. My big worry is the 10 lbs difference which I see there is one vote to not worry.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a 60 zuke on a 16 Whipray, LOVE IT. I have owned Tohatsu, Mercs, yamaha’s. The zuke is awesome fuel economy. Gauges are slick, easy to operate. Really like the fuel consumption info instead of a gauge reading......weight difference should be no concern, draft difference with mine was not noticeable.....

·
Fly Fishing Shaman
6,429 Posts
Suzuki will run a little over 9K which will include all gauges and binnacal. Prop not included. No price on Tohatsu yet. My big worry is the 10 lbs difference which I see there is one vote to not worry.
Wow, you may want to shop around. That's well over $2k+ on what I'm seeing here in Florida. about $7k on the Tohatsu, tho they are out of stock currently. For me, I can get the Zuke cheaper than the Hatsu. I too have several Zuke dealers within 10mins from my house. But if it wasn't that I found a Hatsu dealer 25mins from me, the choice would be easy.

If I was in your situation, if the Zuke was cheaper and you had dealers in your town, then it would be a no brainer. But $9k? Geeze!

·
Registered
719 Posts
Wow 9k... dang man wonder if shortsges are moving the price up. Only other dealer near me is yamaha but im sure a 60hp would be over 10k and weigh more than the other two.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I now own a Tohatsu 50hp and like it just fine. Keep in mind, it's on a very, very light weight skiff but seems to have lots of low end torque. I previously had a 60hp Suzuki on a heavy skiff and thought that engine suffered from lack of low end torque but again, very different skiffs. (Chittum carbon vs BT Mosquito). I know some guides who have had Tohatsu problems but mine has 101 trouble free hours on it and I love it.
Best,

Reactions: Sublime

·
Registered
2007 Beavertail B2
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
From what I noticed by looking online is that Tohatsu cost less but local markets likely vary. Suzuki prices vary a lot. Appreciate everyone posting what their local prices are. Will continue shopping. May need to commit to driving a little to save a lot. This could be present day supply and demand pricing!

·
Registered
961 Posts
Wow 9k... dang man wonder if shortsges are moving the price up. Only other dealer near me is yamaha but im sure a 60hp would be over 10k and weigh more than the other two.
Looks like everyone is having trouble getting their hands on outboards and trolling motors lately (I just got lucky with my new Motorguide).

I paid around $7400 or so minus my trade in on my etec at advanced Marine back in 2017.
Now Idk if they have access to them now, but the owner is all about Tohatsu and can get them easier.

Check out boattronics as they will rig your boat better than Advanced or Dell marine I can guarantee it

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
I have a 60 zuke on a 16 Whipray, LOVE IT. I have owned Tohatsu, Mercs, yamaha’s. The zuke is awesome fuel economy. Gauges are slick, easy to operate. Really like the fuel consumption info instead of a gauge reading......weight difference should be no concern, draft difference with mine was not noticeable.....
that's a lot of power and weight on a 16 whipray. I have a 50 hatsu on a 16 waterman and it's a lot.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,235 Posts
I originally wanted a Hatsu 60 for my new EVOx instead of the Zuke 60. The cost difference was about $2k more for the Hatsu over the Zuke. This was last November when I ordered my boat and I went with the Zuke. They are both great motors but my buddy who ordered a skiff pretty much at the same time I ordered mine, still doesn't have a motor for his skiff and I got mine delivered last week. From what I'm hearing, Tohatsu's aren't really available until January some time. The Zukes have been coming in randomly but I still had to wait a month to get a motor.
Two things I can tell you, the Zuke has a larger diameter prop shaft vs the Tohatsu and the Foreman prop I have on my Suzuki is a monster. My Suzuki may weigh 10+lbs more than the Tohatsu but if that weight is in the prop shaft and other drive train components, I'm happy to have that extra weight to sling that big prop. My hole shot is 1/2 a boat length to plane at full jack plate up.

·
Registered
2007 Beavertail B2
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My Suzuki may weigh 10+lbs more than the Tohatsu but if that weight is in the prop shaft and other drive train components, I'm happy to have that extra weight to sling that big prop.
I have read that the hatsu shaft may be prone to shear. Good point. Much appreciated

·
I Love microskiff.com!
172 Posts
Lots of good info above. I have 113 flawless hours on my Tohatsu 60. All of those hours put on in the last 8 months. I personally went with the Tohatsu because I needed a 15" shaft.
Based on my experience and others, I don't think you can go wrong with either manufacturer.
Convenient and quality service would be the criteria that would drive my decision (assuming you need a 20" shaft)

·
Registered
162 Posts
I am looking at the Tohatsu, but only one dealer near me. I called Tohatsu and they said pricing is based on how many units that location sells. So, if they sell a lot of motors, prices will be lower. The place near me is 7K rigged for the 60. I had a Zuke 25 on my last boat...had some positives and a lot of negatives. I'm interested in an unbiased opinion if someone has ran boat motors or has a buddy with they same hull, but different motor.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,694 Posts
I am looking at the Tohatsu, but only one dealer near me. I called Tohatsu and they said pricing is based on how many units that location sells. So, if they sell a lot of motors, prices will be lower. The place near me is 7K rigged for the 60. I had a Zuke 25 on my last boat...had some positives and a lot of negatives. I'm interested in an unbiased opinion if someone has ran boat motors or has a buddy with they same hull, but different motor.
Have you asked Jack Foreman? He will go on and on about why you should get the tohatsu. Worth a call anyway. He knows both from a gearcase standpoint.

·
Registered
‘07 B2
55 Posts
Running the Tohatsu 60 on my 07 B2 since July. Great engine, no complaints. Bought from Citrus Marine in Homosassa and get my parts / service from Advance Marine in Jacksonville. Close to 100 hours so far.

·
BBA Counselor
6,897 Posts
just FYI.

I called NE Marine and they have 60hp 20" Hatsu's in stock for $6500. They are running about 2 weeks out.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts