Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 6 of 7 Posts

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
13,674 Posts
I just installed a brand new warranty replacement lower unit on a customer’s Tohatsu 50 a couple of weeks ago for the same thing but the bearing took out the entire lower unit.

Shipping box Packing materials Rectangle Wood Packaging and labeling
Wood Font Material property Gas Rectangle
Automotive lighting Light Grille Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
13,674 Posts
Hmmmm.... not good, but glad you were able to get back and fix it.

My take is heat expands parts, so that could be why. Once it cooled a bit, and you went low speed, it kept it cooler.

@Smackdaddy53 - any theories on this issue? Seems silly for new engines to have such a major issue due to a damn bearing.
I have no idea but there have been quite a few Tohatsu defects. One of my other clients got a new powerhead under warranty because it never really made as much power as it should and he ended up blowing so much oil by the rings in one cylinder his oil level got too low and had a catastrophic failure. Tohatsu claimed a rippled cylinder wall caused the loss in compression, blow by etc. and it was a defect, not operator error.
The great news is Tohatsu has seen my pickup system and absolutely loves it. It will not effect warranty even on the lower unit after it has been drilled and tapped by me. The lower unit replaced was one I had done previously.

1 - 6 of 7 Posts