Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
07 Ranger Banshee tiller 40 Hatsu 4stroke
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I posted the other day on this so I’m not sure what happened to my original post I can’t find it.
2019 Tohatsu 40 (200 hrs)
Seems I had a leaky seal somewhere in my lower unit which had my lower unit low on oil and this caused the upper bearing to seize up luckily my entire lower unit isn’t toast.
Quick recap of my previous post:
We we’re running along and motor just died and was hard to start and when it did start motor would die immediately when planing off.
We we’re eventually able to start it and idle back.
Mechanic said the bearing was seizing is why the motor was hard to roll over my guess is after we sat awhile it cooled enough tfor us to idle in I’m not sure how that was possible.
Anyway I just wanted to update with what the problem was in case someone else runs into this issue.
He’s gonna replace the bearing and associated parts and the seals in the lower.
Unfortunately no warranty for a leaky seal but I’ll be sure to keep a check on the fluid level from here on out in between annual changes.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
13,299 Posts
I just installed a brand new warranty replacement lower unit on a customer’s Tohatsu 50 a couple of weeks ago for the same thing but the bearing took out the entire lower unit.

Shipping box Packing materials Rectangle Wood Packaging and labeling
Wood Font Material property Gas Rectangle
Automotive lighting Light Grille Bumper Automotive exterior

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
13,299 Posts
Hmmmm.... not good, but glad you were able to get back and fix it.

My take is heat expands parts, so that could be why. Once it cooled a bit, and you went low speed, it kept it cooler.

@Smackdaddy53 - any theories on this issue? Seems silly for new engines to have such a major issue due to a damn bearing.
I have no idea but there have been quite a few Tohatsu defects. One of my other clients got a new powerhead under warranty because it never really made as much power as it should and he ended up blowing so much oil by the rings in one cylinder his oil level got too low and had a catastrophic failure. Tohatsu claimed a rippled cylinder wall caused the loss in compression, blow by etc. and it was a defect, not operator error.
The great news is Tohatsu has seen my pickup system and absolutely loves it. It will not effect warranty even on the lower unit after it has been drilled and tapped by me. The lower unit replaced was one I had done previously.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Man
I was hoping to get years of service outta this engine I hope this isn’t a recurring issue.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Has anyone heard of or experienced a sudden but short loss of power?

when running full throttle, the engine looses RPMs and slows down by 2-4MPH. It only lasts a few seconds and then runs normal.
I had a problem like that with my tohatsu 20. Turns out there was a small (very small) fleck of something in the main jet. Almost missed it when I cleaned the carb. Once it was gone it runs like a champ.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
My crankshaft bearings went out at 480hrs on the 2020 MFS60, so I bought a 2021
That's a weird one. Any ideas about the cause? Oil analysis? Main bearings don't usually come apart from material fatigue at low hours unless it was a weird bearing defect from the factory. I guess it doesn't really matter if you replaced it but I'd be curious.

Back when I use to throw money at race cars all the main bearing failures we experienced were exclusively caused by mixed lube issues from sudden loading. Hard to believe Tohatsu would't plan for this.

If I were you I would be sending off samples from all my oil changes. It's cheap.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
428 Posts
That's a weird one. Any ideas about the cause? Oil analysis? Main bearings don't usually come apart from material fatigue at low hours unless it was a weird bearing defect from the factory. I guess it doesn't really matter if you replaced it but I'd be curious.

Back when I use to throw money at race cars all the main bearing failures we experienced were exclusively caused by mixed lube issues from sudden loading. Hard to believe Tohatsu would't plan for this.

If I were you I would be sending off samples from all my oil changes. It's cheap.
I ran the same lube in it and proper oil changes……. Probably 480 hours of 6200 rpms

·
I Love microskiff.com!
2,534 Posts
Good that ya'll are letting us know about power choice issues. I have had two issues with 2019 F60 , cracked cast shift rod link, still operating but hard shifting (replaced) and slow trim tilt bleed down starting in the first year. Warranty replaced the trim/tilt unit. A lot of failures are owner/operator induced. However, late model Tohatsu reliability is questionable

·
I Love microskiff.com!
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just to be clear my dealer is saying I had a little water in my lower unit oil and it was low so the bad seal is what caused the upper bearing failure which is why no warranty coverage.
Now I have no idea what caused the leak and don’t feel like it should be leaking on a 2019 with 200 hrs unless of course there was fishing line or something that caused it which my dealer didn’t mention it if it was.
That being said,
I had a 50 Honda on my Lostmen that had the skeg pretty much wore off also had to have a crack welded on the foot casing needless to say it was used pretty hard and never leaked a drop.
Anyway not bashing my new Tohatsu hopefully this was just a one time deal.

·
BBA Counselor
7,323 Posts
No point in questioning Tohatsu's reliability. If you do then you are also questioning Most of Honda's line up, smaller Mercs, Many Yamahas over the years, Nissans, Zukes........ Tohatsu is the biggest outboard manufacturer in the world, and many just rebadge them. They also produce many of the parts for other outboards.

That said, every outboard model will have a few bad eggs, that's just how it goes. Outboards also aren't made for what we do sometimes. I'm guilty of burning the skeg and prop by finding an occasional sand bar or oysters. And getting wrapped up in fishing line! Sometimes you catch it, sometimes not. I'm no stranger to blowing a lower unit now. Hopefully this is the end of the issues.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts