Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Whipray, 2017 Tohatsu MFS50
714 Posts
Tohatsu 60 on all carbon Mangrove 18 reportedly reaches 42 mph with 1 person; high 30s with 2 guys & gear. Not too dissimilar to the F70 on the heavier Snake Bight 18.
I assume that's a non-tunnel Mangrove?

·
Zero Interest
244 Posts
Who has forked out the dough for an all carbon chittum, though?

I would be more interested in the numbers for a normal layup.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Everytime I run my 50 I am blown away. This motor really is the best in class, seriously unbiased. I could/have run ever other motor on similar boats except Honda so I may be missing out. But directly compared to Yamaha/Evinrude/merc and suzuki it def holds the crown "FOR ME"...
G8rfly how is that 50hp tohatsu holding up for you? I'm in the process of having my skiff built and I'm trying to decide on an outboard....thx

·
Registered
679 Posts
Who has forked out the dough for an all carbon chittum, though?

I would be more interested in the numbers for a normal layup.
I have a 50% Carbon with a 50hp Tohatsu and run 35mph with clients and gear. My max has been 36.8mph with me and light gear. Both are WOT figures.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
155 Posts
Love my Tohatsu 60! Had it since March and have about 60 hours on it. I have the foreman holeshot prop on my tunnel Conchfish and get 34 mph full load and no load. That's just where she stops. My skiff is definitely heavier than Stevie's and Chris's Chittums but thought I would offer my experience with the motor.

FWIW, a buddy of mine has a Fury tunnel with a Merc 60 and 4 blade mercury prop. I absolutely smoke him out of the hole and get better top end too.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
G8rfly how is that 50hp tohatsu holding up for you? I'm in the process of having my skiff built and I'm trying to decide on an outboard....thx

Are you wanting a short shaft? If not, your choices go way up. I'm wanting a short shaft so my choice is pretty much Tohatsu and Honda. With Tohatsu way in the lead.

Reactions: Stevie

·
Registered
108 Posts
Are you wanting a short shaft? If not, your choices go way up. I'm wanting a short shaft so my choice is pretty much Tohatsu and Honda. With Tohatsu way in the lead.
I like the Suzuki but I'm leaning toward the Tohatsu because of the short shaft... I just don't know to a lot about Tohatsu especially the maintenance...any input thx

·
Registered
1999 Whipray, 2017 Tohatsu MFS50
714 Posts
I like the Suzuki but I'm leaning toward the Tohatsu because of the short shaft... I just don't know to a lot about Tohatsu especially the maintenance...any input thx
Where are you located? The best Tohatsu service guy in Texas is Vantage Marine in Port O'Connor.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had a 50 Yamaha four stroke on my new to me release classic 15ft. The hull is kevlar, weighs in at under 400lbs. I just got a 2020 Tohatsu 60 in white to replace the old Yamaha. The Yamaha is about 60lbs heavier than the tohatsu. Getting the boat back from the shop the week after July 4th week. What do you think I would run speed wise?

21 - 40 of 56 Posts