Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tohatsu has delivered the first of the new 60 HP 4 strokes to premier at the Miami Boatshow. Supposedly built on the same block as the 50 HP 4 stroke (209 lbs.), the 60 HP weighs just 213 pounds. Initially 20 inch shaft versions will be available. There's a push for Tohatsu to deliver 15 inch shaft 60's sometime later in 2019.

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hmm... I wonder if there is a ECU swap that would turn my 50hp to the 60. As impressive as the 50hp has been on my Mangrove, I would love to see what the extra 10hp would do.
Howdy @nativejax At the risk of provoking an obscene response --@Tx_Whipray ;-) --, I gather Chittum will have a demo 12 degree Mangrove 18 center console with a Tohatsu 60 hp at the Miami Boatshow...

I too have been very impressed with the 50 HP 4 stroke Tohatsu... The 60 HP will definitely be a sweet OB for a lot of microskiffs....

·
Registered
1999 Whipray, 2017 Tohatsu MFS50
719 Posts
Howdy @nativejax At the risk of provoking an obscene response --@Tx_Whipray ;-) --, I gather Chittum will have a demo 12 degree Mangrove 18 center console with a Tohatsu 56 hp at the Miami Boatshow...

I too have been very impressed with the 50 HP 4 stroke Tohatsu... The 60 HP will definitely be a sweet OB for a lot of microskiffs....

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ran the Tohatsu 60 on the Chittum Carbon Mangrove at the Miami Boatshow on Sunday. Strong engine. Felt significantly more thrust than the 50 in the mid range. The prop was made for a 50, so could not feel any top end difference. Also as a non-cupped prop, hole shot was normal compared to my cupped prop on 50. Understand the long shaft version will be available in the US in May. The short shaft will be in the Fall or early next year.

·
Waitin' on the flood !
2009 Beavertail BTX powered by a 2020 Tohatsu MFS60
211 Posts
I am super interested in this outboard. Do you guys know of any “Perferred” dealers? Ones that are typically easy to deal with??

·
Registered
46 Posts
upload_2019-2-28_17-21-1.png

I found this on the Tohatsu website. I have heard that the mid-sized motors from Tohatsu 60HP and above were rebadged Honda's. Since this is built off the 40/50 HP platform, I'm assuming the new 60HP will be a full on Tohatsu. Did anyone get any intel on this and the manufacturing location for this motor at the MIBS?

·
Registered
336 Posts
View attachment 62776

I found this on the Tohatsu website. I have heard that the mid-sized motors from Tohatsu 60HP and above were rebadged Honda's. Since this is built off the 40/50 HP platform, I'm assuming the new 60HP will be a full on Tohatsu. Did anyone get any intel on this and the manufacturing location for this motor at the MIBS?
I spoke to someone who as run one already.. They were blown away by it. Said it will make a lot of people think about switching engines for sure

·
Registered
238 Posts
The Tohatsu website is saying 217, now if they would only work that magic on the 90. I would be writing a check.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Everytime I run my 50 I am blown away. This motor really is the best in class, seriously unbiased. I could/have run ever other motor on similar boats except Honda so I may be missing out. But directly compared to Yamaha/Evinrude/merc and suzuki it def holds the crown "FOR ME"...

·
I Love microskiff.com!
191 Posts
Everytime I run my 50 I am blown away. This motor really is the best in class, seriously unbiased. I could/have run ever other motor on similar boats except Honda so I may be missing out. But directly compared to Yamaha/Evinrude/merc and suzuki it def holds the crown "FOR ME"...
did you compare the tohatsu 50 directly to the suzuki 60?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts