Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to buy a 50 Tohatsu ,looking for any info anyone has the good, the bad , and the ugly,

Thanks Jim

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have a 40hp tiller which I believe uses the same block as the 50..have had mine since October and put just over 40 hours on it. It’s quiet and powerful. I have had no issues with the engine or parts in the short time I’ve had it. Changing the oil filter, oil, and gear oil are very simple (if you are doing own maintenance). Gas mileage is excellent. 9-13mpg according to NMEA depending on load, conditions, etc.. speaking of that, it is NMEA compatible obviously and easy to hook up.

So far my only gripe is the steering friction adjustment. May be my own fault but I have worn down the bolt which tightens or loosens the friction and adjustments aren’t easily made anymore. Does not affect the performance or safety.

Aside from that it’s an awesome little motor. I have not heard many negatives from the guys running them. Think Tohatsu did really well with these.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have a 50 4 stroke that I don’t run as tiller. Probably 150 hours or so with no issues. I think these motors came out in 2014 and so far haven’t heard of many issues. They are far less expensive than some competitors (Yamaha) with 5 year warranty. Probably still a little new on finding out any issues but so far so good. Light efficient powerful

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,254 Posts
Love mine. Its a beast.

The friction adjustment is useless on mine as well, but its not something I'd probably make much use of anyways.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
214 Posts
I’ve got the 40 tiller. Echo the statements about the friction adjustment. A few other small pins that rusted after a few trips out.

However, the motor is light and powerful. It is actually fairly loud when you run it in the higher RPM range, but I’m guessing they saved some weight on the insulation.

Still new to me, so we will see how it holds up. So far I am impressed and the 5 year warranty is a nice piece of mind. Just make sure you have a dealer nearby as they are not as plentiful as some of the other brands.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Is the friction adjustment an option?

I see it called out in the owners manual, but mine (2017 Tohatsu 50 4Stroke) doesn't seem to have the lever?

·
Registered
745 Posts
I had a 2016 for about a year and a half and I also had issues with the friction adjustment. I had it replaced under warranty once but it didn't work well very long after that either.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Mine is about 3 years old with about 200 hours. Excellent so far but I too have replaced the friction bolt under warranty.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Would I be safe in assuming a recreational angler like myself would see an engine hitting 400hrs without problems as very good? I can see being a captain you will rack up hours at a much faster pace therefore need more reliability. Just thinking at my current pace will put ~100hrs a year. So I could get 3-4 years or more of problem free running potentially.
Just thinking out loud here. In no trying to say Capt Eli is wrong with his statements.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
I don't doubt the Captain but the 2 stroke Tohatsu's have a stellar rep all over the world. the 4 strokes are fairly new but they share most of the components he is having trouble with. I have 2 of the TLDI's (a 50 and a 90) with zero problems but one has half the hours he has and the other only has 200 hours. I guess I shouldn't say zero as the tiller 50 has the same crappy friction bolt set up. I just don't deal with it.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Seems kind of knee jerk to never by a Tohatsu again over three issues within the first 600 hours, none of which are mechanical. Kind of like remodeling your kitchen because your garbage disposal isn't working.

I don't really understand why a tiller assembly would need to be replaced unless it broke in half and I've never in my life seen a broken tilt/service lock on a motor with power tilt. Strange problems to be having on a new motor.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
142 Posts
I have a new (10hrs) 50hp 2 stroke, however, it is a jet lower. It cranks every time, tilt trim is smooth, having to get used to using left hand for tiller vs Merc, etc.

My only complaint wouldn't apply to 4 stroke, the direct oil container leaks out the fill cap when filled to the top.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
142 Posts
Should add that the 2018 on my jet drive has a different tiller handle than 2-3 years ago models. This one looks very much like Merc big tiller. Everything from shift to tilt/trim and kill switch is near the throttle , not as the older ones with some controls on the side cowling.

Make sure you ask it to be set up from factory or dealer as such, because my dealer didn't know how and I had to hire it done from fabrication shop. Mechanic said it took a trick or two to fit.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts