Tohatsu 30hp Lower Unit

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by Ckirk57, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Ckirk57

Ckirk57 Well-Known Member

I bent the shaft this weekend on my 2000 Tohatsu 30hp two stroke. The housing seems to be ok, any suggestion on where to get it fixed? I heard Admiral C&B propeller  can straighten it.

A few pics of the boat.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

I've never attempted to straighten a bent shaft.
    Figured if it took a shot solid enough to bend the the prop shaft,
    it was probably better to replace the shaft along with the seals and bearings.

I'd be curious as to the price difference between straightening and replacing... :-?

3. Frank_Sebastian

Frank_Sebastian Well-Known Member

Check here for part numbers and get a quote for a new propeller shaft.

http://www.tohatsuoutboardparts.com/

It is likely 346-64211-6 They will respond to your request rather quickly. If you can install it yourself it will save a lot. You may have to shim a little.

Best regards,
    Frank_S

4. makin moves

makin moves Well-Known Member

Ive used admiral for some props. They do great work, not sure if the can help you but the guys are very helpful if you give them a call

5. Creek Runner

Creek Runner Well-Known Member

Go with a new 1, chances are you have damaged the integrity of the shaft already and any more stress could cause it break.

6. Ckirk57

Ckirk57 Well-Known Member

Thanks, I wish these parts were easier to get. I almost feel like its faster to buy a used tohatsu on Craigslist for parts than try to work with the dealers. The good news is that I have two boats and I can still fish in the mean time.

7. Creek Runner

Creek Runner Well-Known Member

That's what I would do!

8. The_Skiff_Shop

The_Skiff_Shop Well-Known Member

Kirk,

I have a buddy that had a prop shaft straightened up in your neck of the woods. I think it was the Yami dealer in CR. He had the same concerns and the dealer was straight up about the results. You might want to just carry it in and have them look at it. Couldn't hurt. ;)

9. HighSide25

HighSide25 Well-Known Member

i had mine straightend for a 40hp and it was a little more than $200. i didnt take it out like you did, so it may be a little cheaper for you.

btw, ive hit a few things/sandbars and its still straight as an arrow since the work