to prop or tab, that is the question

Discussion in 'Prop Shop' started by fishnride883, Apr 5, 2012.

1. fishnride883

fishnride883 I Love microskiff.com!

I have a palm beach white cap 151. Paired with a Yamaha 2 stroke 50. It has a stainless prop but I dont know the size or pitch nor how to determine it. Just came on the boat when I bought it. When I run solo, it runs great! I get 25-30mph jumps on plane and can cruize well. Problem is when I have a friend tag along with a friend or two, it struggles to get on plane unless they move toward the front of the boat. If that friend is rather large then it takes forever to get to plane. The prop that is on it looks rather small, I could probably get another 1'' larger. I was also told to put some "smart tabs" on it as well which will greatly help lift the "load" and keep my guests from having to jump to the front every time we take off. Would any of these suggestions help?

2. Cody_F

Cody_F 2012 ankona copperhead 60etec

A 4 blade prop will help a lot , so will smart tabs I had them on my old copperhead and loved them because they are completely hands free and work off of how much pressure is being pushed against them , I recommend both.

3. gbud1969@gmail.com

gbud1969@gmail.com I Love my Piranha even more...

Cody
    I have read around here that the smart tabs are not any good in chop, that they will make the boat plow???? In your experience how do they do in a good chop. Also would I want them with a PTT??

4. fishnride883

fishnride883 I Love microskiff.com!

Thanks for the input, quite a vast number of people suggested smart tabs to me, I think I will get them as well as a better prop.