Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

To all the past/present fishing guides out there......

10K views 50 replies 29 participants last post by  EvanHammer 
#1 ·
As fisherman, i'm sure we have all had the thought of being a guide cross our minds in some shape or form. I often hear people say "I wish I was lucky enough to be a guide" or "maybe ill just quit my day job and become a fishing guide." On the other hand I hear a lot of "It would ruin fishing for me" or "don't turn your favorite hobby into a job."

To those who made the plunge, can I get a little bit of your story? Why did you decide to guide? What did you do before you were a guide? How long did/do you plan to guide?

Were you happy? Did it ruin any part of fishing for you? Did it make fishing more enjoyable?

Did you make a comfortable living?

Not saying I am about to quit my job, just day dreaming behind my god forsaken computer screen....like all of you have.

#2 ·
It takes a special breed to be a full time or even part time guide for sure. I can say I would not expect to get rich guiding but generally speaking if you have some other irons in the fire you can make a decent living. I’d love to be a full time sight fishing/wading guide but I will be happy building a client base and doing it part time until then. It’s a pretty saturated field so expect to have lots of competition.

#3 ·
I considered it in my mid to late 20's and ultimately decided it wasn't the right timing, just starting a family. Maybe later in life when I don't have the stress of a family to support I would be more open to the idea.

I don't ever want to dread having to go fishing, the way I dread going to work on a Monday morning. I know at some point that will happen if I turn fishing into a job.

Income is somewhat capped and dependent on other variables. Only so many days a year and so much you can reasonably charge and that's assuming you don't have weather issues, environmental issues (red tide, algae), boat issues... Long list here of things that are out of your control.

Other things to consider are declining water quality / poor management ( in FL), constant sun exposure, inconsiderate customers, spending full days with people that you don't like, spending full days with people that can't cast. I'm not saying it's a bad job, but it's not for everyone. I'm sure the good days when you have skilled anglers are great, but all the other days in between will turn into a grind. You also need to be a patient person.

#4 ·
I've thought about early retirement with a Captain's license. But that's at least 10 years in the future and proving to myself that I can more consistently find fish in varying conditions. Our area of the bay would be damn tough to guide fly...

Also...I once turned my obsessive college football fanaticism into a position writing columns for a large metropolitan newspaper. It sucked all the fun and passion out of attending and watching the games. So there is that...

#5 ·
My perspective may be unique, hopefully not.
My father was and still is a relatively successful bonefish guide down here in Biscayne/flamingo. while i was growing up in the 90's and early 2000's we fished literally every weekend, i owe everything to my dad in regards to fishing/maintaining a boat, when most kids are thinking about their first car i was already thinking of my first boat (i wanted a b1 lol). When i was probably 14 or 15 i remember telling him of my aspirations to get a boat and take up guiding once i turned 18, to which his response was "Go to college, get a good job, and pay someone to take you fishing". Growing up he worked really hard, missed probably 3 Christmas, sometimes totally booked in the spring time, hauling the rig to homestead or flamingo, poling all day, and making the haul back home to rinse the boat off and do it the next day. I never really understood why he told me that until i got older, went to college and am now a teacher, Youre livelihood depends on someone else leisure time. Now im considering getting my CL this year to take the odd booking or multi boat charter with my old man, who now thinks becoming a captain part time is a good idea.
I say go for it.

#6 ·
I've had this thought...

I'm in retail already and love working with people and I'm damn good at it as well. Being a guide is being a salesman. You may not catch any fish... but your customer better say they had the best time not catching anything. The successful guides build relationships with their customers and don't even need new clients.

The fishing part is important but I would say the people part is far more important. If you don't like dealing with the general public guiding is not for you. A lot of weekend warriors that tried it out never understood that until they got into the game.

The only reason I didn't do it personally was because I didn't want to take the pay cut. Plus I'm not in the elements and make enough to support my habbit (fishing).

#9 ·
It’s not always about catching a bunch of fish. Most people are happy to get a couple of shots at a fish per trip. Some guides just do what the customer wants and goes where they want to go because it’s cheaper to hire a guide a few times a year than own your own boat. Some people just want a guide to run their boat and show them where to and not to run.

#11 ·
All good food for thought. I realize that this a definitely a people business, and I love people! I am also an extremely patient person. Of all the fishing I do, and fish I catch, nothing compares to having someone else land a fish that you put them on. I would like to think that this feeling would keep me coming back day after day. I did look over the fact that a lot of clients have no idea what they are doing. These days would be frustrating but like some of you said, its about the time they had on your boat not necessarily the fish they catch.

The dream me and my soon to be wife have is to work hard while we are young, become financially set, and then take an early retirement doing what we love. She would be a personal trainer and I would guide. I just have this fear that in 25 years or so, her and I both may not be as physically inclined to carry out our dream jobs. Its like, would I rather spend my younger years of high energy behind a computer or on a poling platform? I can slave away behind a computer when i'm old and tired. I have not regretted a single thing in my life and I would regret it if I didn't guide in some shape or form at some point of my life.

I went to college, I have a good job in the construction industry, been at it for a few years. While being financially stable is great, feeling unfulfilled does not. I think about fishing from when I wake up to when I go to sleep. Almost all of my free time is taken up by fishing, tying flies, building rods, rigging for my next trip, and spending WAY too much time learning from everyone on this site. It wouldn't necessarily even have to be guiding, but if I could do something, ANYTHING in the fishing industry, that would fulfill my obsession with fishing I would quit my job tomorrow.

#13 ·
All good food for thought. I realize that this a definitely a people business, and I love people! I am also an extremely patient person. Of all the fishing I do, and fish I catch, nothing compares to having someone else land a fish that you put them on. I would like to think that this feeling would keep me coming back day after day. I did look over the fact that a lot of clients have no idea what they are doing. These days would be frustrating but like some of you said, its about the time they had on your boat not necessarily the fish they catch.

The dream me and my soon to be wife have is to work hard while we are young, become financially set, and then take an early retirement doing what we love. She would be a personal trainer and I would guide. I just have this fear that in 25 years or so, her and I both may not be as physically inclined to carry out our dream jobs. Its like, would I rather spend my younger years of high energy behind a computer or on a poling platform? I can slave away behind a computer when i'm old and tired. I have not regretted a single thing in my life and I would regret it if I didn't guide in some shape or form at some point of my life.

I went to college, I have a good job in the construction industry, been at it for a few years. While being financially stable is great, feeling unfulfilled does not. I think about fishing from when I wake up to when I go to sleep. Almost all of my free time is taken up by fishing, tying flies, building rods, rigging for my next trip, and spending WAY too much time learning from everyone on this site. It wouldn't necessarily even have to be guiding, but if I could do something, ANYTHING in the fishing industry, that would fulfill my obsession with fishing I would quit my job tomorrow.
Why don't you start out guiding on the weekends only? That way you can minimize your risk prior to going head first. Most people can only fish weekends anyway. Make your charter a little less $$$ than others and be up front etc. If you have fished a body of water for a long enough time you would know where and how to get on fish at certain times of year. Also developing a network of others that fish can help keep you in the loop.

As mentioned previously about people wanting to go out to just learn the waters and channels. You can also provide eco tours, burials @ sea etc if you want the side $$$. Not everyone is trying to get on the water to fish.

Also if you do get into it I would pay someone for SEO (Search engine optimization) so you get to top of google search list.

#12 ·
Its a physically tough job.
Its mentally tough. Most jobs (I said most there are certainly exceptions) at the end of the day you go home and are done. Guides have to prep the boat for the next day. Rig gear. Answer phone calls and emails. Watch the weather to figure out the next day.
Its a saturated field. There are already tons of guides (some would say too many) and there are only so many client days available.
Have you ever spent an entire day on a boat, in close quarters, with somebody you couldn't stand? Thankfully they are not the norm but there are plenty of them.

Now here to me is the clincher:
What do you have to offer that guide XYZ doesn't.
a. Better equipment.
b. More knowledge
c. Better attitude
d. Better marketing skills

All this is not to discourage somebody from doing what they MAY love. Just have seen way too many people go into the guiding thing without really understanding what they were getting into.

#16 ·
Just personal preference, when I book a guide, I am looking for someone in the 20-35ish age range rather than the retired old timer. The young guys are hungry for it still, will go beyond and work harder than what others will and one of the most important things is are tech savvy. Last guide I took, Brandon Cyr in Key West was incredible and really worked for the fish. But also as I caught a ~8lb bonefish, he pulled out this dslr camera and took pictures, sent me the originals and edited some of them too before emailing me them. Its about the little things, and remembering the trips for years to come. Yes, catching numbers is great, but there is more to it.

#17 ·
For the last two years I have worked in an office. I spent all of my adult life up to that point in high adrenaline jobs and this desk is killing my soul. Every waking moment is dominated by thoughts of the water and I truly love the feeling of watching someone land a fish that I put them on. The problem is I generally can't stand people and the older I get, the harder it is to put up with BS, so guiding full time is probably not an option. I was thinking of getting my CL and running a few "trips" a year for friends etc. and show all the money I waste on this hobby as a business expense. According to my tax lady, it should work. If not, please put some money on my books when I'm in federal prison.

#18 ·
Going to offer a different viewpoint on the "start guiding on weekends" suggestion. I think that is a terrible idea for a reason not yet pointed out. When I am going to spend some hard earned cash and take a guided trip I absolutely shy away from weekend guys. Sure there are some really good ones. But I have found two issues with them.

1. Some of them are doing it as a means to get a little extra cash to pay for their skiff, etc. They may or may not have any business actually taking money to take somebody fishing.
2. There is just no way that a weekend guide has his pulse on the fishery as well as a full time guide who is out there everyday. Things change on the water quickly. What was happening a week ago may not be even close to where you should be looking this weekend.

#20 ·
I'm in the "i just want to guide on the weekends" category. What's holding me back is that currently i'm friends with a lot of guides around our over saturated guide town and I don't want to ruffle too many feathers for a little side gig and tax advantages. Another is that My wife and I are going to start a family in the next couple of years and after that happens I can't imagine that i'd have the time to give it an honest run.

I believe it's an all or nothing type of thing, the more I think about it. If you live in a touristy area, know the water, and there isn't a ton of other guides to compete with then I think it's something I'd go for. Unfortunately there are something like 450 registered inshore guides in the Charleston area and I'm not trying to make it 451.

Reactions: flysalt060
#23 ·
I'm in the "i just want to guide on the weekends" category. What's holding me back is that currently i'm friends with a lot of guides around our over saturated guide town and I don't want to ruffle too many feathers for a little side gig and tax advantages. Another is that My wife and I are going to start a family in the next couple of years and after that happens I can't imagine that i'd have the time to give it an honest run.

I believe it's an all or nothing type of thing, the more I think about it. If you live in a touristy area, know the water, and there isn't a ton of other guides to compete with then I think it's something I'd go for. Unfortunately there are something like 450 registered inshore guides in the Charleston area and I'm not trying to make it 451.
Yeah and how many of those 450 are really making a living at it. Its one thing to be doing something you love and that is a big deal. But at the end of the day you have to make a living....unless you have a trust fund or a wife with a big paying job good luck.

#21 ·
Evaluate the cost of doing business and your tolerance for living on no money before entering any self employed business. If you go into the guiding business, you will need at least a boat and a tow vehicle. Let's say that's $40K. You probably already have them, but if you're making payments, your current job is paying for them, as well as paying your other living expenses. When you go into business for yourself suddenly you have no income, you need a place to live, food, a vehicle, a boat, repair money, insurance, etc, etc, etc. I'd say it's a very risky venture. The rewards can be great, but only for the very determined.

#24 ·
Lots to say about this topic... but also lots not to say.

First thought - be careful what you wish for....

Second thought - an old joke from the Keys... "What do you call a guide down here that just broke up with his girlfriend?" Easy, one word answer.... (wait for it...) -Homeless

Last thought, most who consider guiding for money only look at the lifestyle issues, rarely the practical side of things. Yes, it's pretty much whatever you decide to make it. What folks might want to remember is that you don't get to pick and choose your days to fish (and mostly, the folks who you'll be on the water with...). Guiding on days when the fish are biting is like stealing money (more than one guide has said this to me in passing) - but guiding when the fish aren't biting can be the hardest work you ever did... That might just be why I've seen many take up guiding -then just fade away into something else a few years later when they've finally had enough.... That said, in my experience, the folks I've had fish with me are the nicest around (with rare exception...).

I'm in my 21st year full time as a guide (when I started at age 47 I planned to do it for a minimum of 23 years -one year more than I did in a law enforcement career). Health issues are the usual thing that ends a guide's career (and I've known more than a few that passed away from melanoma or related problems - some a lot younger than you'd ever have guessed...).

I'll finish with what was supposed to have been said by a very well known guide's wife towards the end of his career... She's supposed to have said that he had great heart and lungs, strong arms and back, and bad skin.... I asked him one day, some years ago, "Well Bill, are you getting enough bookings?" He said, boy, you never have enough bookings.... Bill Curtis passed away a year or two ago - long after he quit guiding. I think he was nearly eighty before he quit - so there's hope for the rest of us...

#25 ·
There’s more to being a guide than taking 4 googans out on a flat chunking live shrimp under a popping cork but you would be amazed how many lodges around my neck of the woods do that and make money hand over fist. It’s sickening actually because day in and day out these lodges are taking rich folks on corporate trips to “experience the Texas inshore fishery” and all they do is take 6-8 boat loads of guys out on the water slinging bait and usually come in after 3-4 hours on the water with a few black drum, a dink trout or two and a few redfish and charge them for a half day. They dump the clients and scoop up another group and do it all over again in the evening. I never understand that and probably never will. Maybe I’m weird but I’d rather be sight casting fish with artificial lures and releasing them or wading with lures, keeping a few fish for the table and seeing if I can catch a trophy class fish to take a few photos of and see swim away. It seems like people forgot what fishing is really about and think it’s running around drinking beer on flats boats with 300’s and keeping a limit every trip out. I guess I’m an oddball but I’m looking for clients that are wanting the experience and to grind it out all day...not a Facebook hero shot and a pile of fillets to throw in the freezer just to be tossed out a couple of years later. I’ll take those types every time and the others can go with the mainstream outfits.

#28 ·
Thanks you guys so much for all the input. It really helps me get an idea of things to think about in the future. Lets just say that I will still be showing up to work tomorrow...
On that note, it has still not left my mind and it probably wont. If I did decide to get into guiding, it would not be for the money. My soon to be wife makes more money than I, is extremely supportive, and cares for my mental well being. We are extremely financially responsible and have many safety nets to fall back on. This would be to fulfill a dream that I may regret one day when it is too late. Until then, you will find me sitting here....day after day.....browsing the pages of microskiff between projects.....pretending that I am living my life to the fullest.

#31 ·
Hi Gang,
I may be qualified to chime in here. I used to be in IT up in Tampa Bay. I liked what I did, but I wasn't as happy as I knew I could be. I grew up fishing and was a weekend warrior. I decided that I was about done with computers, and wanted to make a living on the water. My wife and I ended up falling in love with Key West on vacation and decided to "go for it" and move. Took a little time to figure things out, but we made it happen. That was four years ago. I am going into my fifth year as a full time fishing guide down here. It has been an incredible adventure and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I made more money pounding a key board, but I never cared about that.

The fishing is the easy part. Anyone can catch fish. You have to be good with the people to be successful and get the repeats and word of mouth. You have to be adaptable in every aspect. The weather changes, the bite changes, or people change their mind. It's all part of the deal and you just have to make it work. You get great people that end up being friends, you also get people who are never going to be happy. You have to find a way to be successful in both scenarios.

Another important part is having a way to make it through the slow times. Work can be very seasonal and you need to be smart to make it through the slower times.

I have fished around 1200 over the last four years down here. I've had some really great trips, and some tougher days. The passion and love for fishing is still there. Your goals may change though, at least for me they did. I'd rather help someone catch their first tarpon any day than catch one myself. I find myself guiding even when I'm just out with my friends.

I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat. It was scary at first, but in the end it worked out. Doing something you love can completely change your life.

Good luck if and when you decide to make the jump.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.