TLDI 40 breakin question

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by CedarCreek, Jun 15, 2013.

1. CedarCreek

CedarCreek I Love microskiff.com!

First new motor in over 20 years so I hope you guys can help me out. I just got around to doing the forced engine oil feeding step for my new Tohatsu TLDI 40 as called for in the manual. While it was idling and later after sitting in the garage some dark oil dripped out of the lower unit. Is this normal? Is this just the unused oil from the richer mixture? Also, is there any min or max fill lines for the oil reservoir? I dont see any. Thanks.

2. DuckNut

DuckNut Brandon, FL

Can't answer all of your questions but I can answer some.

If your oil is too low your alarm will sound so fill it up. The oil system is fed by gravity and not a pressure system like some gas tanks on cars where the pump sends more fuel than the injector pump can handle and then diverts it back to the tank.

Oil drippings is most likely unburned oil. If you can't find answer in the manual, give a call to the dealer to make sure.

3. CedarCreek

Thanks for getting back to me Duck. My local service guy said it wasnt anything to worry about after feeding the engine extra oil. He didnt say it, but I got the impression from him that that breakin step may be overkill, but I did it anyway.

4. beavis

beavis Well-Known Member

No marks on the internal oil tank for high and low. I always carry a 1 quart bottle with me just in case I forget to check it before going out. Generally, my 50 uses about 2 tank fulls of gas, 24 gallons, per internal oil tank fill up.

Dark oil coming off the bottom. Don't know there, but just check and make sure both of your lower unit gear oil sump screws are snug.

5. CedarCreek

I will check the screws to make sure. Not dripping any oil now. Just after idling with that link rod detached.

6. Gramps

Gramps Living & Dying in 3/4 Time

They gotcha covered. No issue with the oil, mine did the same thing. And topped the oil tank off to about 2" from the filler neck.

You'll love that motor!

7. CedarCreek

Thanks guys. I need to slime this new boat and motor up soon so I can stop worrying about everything.