Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 15'4 gheenoe with no engine recently. Any gheenoe owners have pros and cons for the engine they got on it? 15in v 20in shaft, wish you had more or less power on it, whatever advice you got I'll take. Don't want to end up with a motor I'm not happy with.

If anyone wants to go fishin in north central florida area hit me up

·
Registered
422 Posts
I bought a 15'4 gheenoe with no engine recently. Any gheenoe owners have pros and cons for the engine they got on it? 15in v 20in shaft, wish you had more or less power on it, whatever advice you got I'll take. Don't want to end up with a motor I'm not happy with.

If anyone wants to go fishin in north central florida area hit me up
I'm refurbishing a 15'4 Highsider right now that my dad bought new in 1979. We ran it for many, many years with a 6hp Johnson and caught tons of fish. That motor was stolen, and I then ran an 8hp Mercury 4s for a few years but it was too heavy. You'll want a 15" shaft - and I ended up fabricating a fixed jack plate out of aluminum angle to raise the motor a few inches. I found a 1996 Mariner 9.9 2s that weighs 74 pounds that I'll be using when I get it back on the water - max rating is 10hp. I'm expecting 16-18mph or so, but if you're looking for much more speed than that you probably want a different hull.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ran highsiders and NMZ's for years. Definitely want the 15" shaft, and a bobs manual jackplate or the like will really help performance. I've had an 8hp, 9.9, and 15hp two strokes. 13-18-25 mph top respectively. 15 was nice with another passenger, or when traveling long distances/running from storms. 4 stroke 15 and probably even 9.9 is going to be pretty heavy on that very narrow transom. Whatever you do, wear that kill switch, I was thrown out at least three times with the 15 in choppy mixed up waters.

Reactions: Joeyyeslow
1 - 4 of 4 Posts