Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the concept of micro skiffs. I read about people complaining about a skiff being tippy. If you fish solo would you be concerned about a 60 inch beam...is the tippy issue more of a issue for guys the fish 2 or 3?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Welcome! The stability of a skiff comes form is hull design, weight and the beam but more importantly the beam at waterline. Of course the more feet and more weight shuffling around the boat can make it feel more tippy than fishing solo. A 60” beam isn’t very wide, however there are skiffs that narrow and narrower that I would not consider very tippy. Which skiff do you have in your sights?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
Modified Styrofoam Dixie Cup powered by a 20 horse soap sliver and HB Waterman with 50 HP tiller.
205 Posts
I am new to the concept of micro skiffs. I read about people complaining about a skiff being tippy. If you fish solo would you be concerned about a 60 inch beam...is the tippy issue more of a issue for guys the fish 2 or 3?
Hull shape has everything to do with stability. A 60" beam is very stable if the hull isn't too round.
A flatter hull will provide more side to side stability but it'll be louder and ride rougher in a chop.

Adding anglers isn't a big deal as long as they move with consideration.

It's tough to do, but I'd wet test a few skiffs before you decide what you like.

Whatever you do, don't buy it based on someone else's opinion.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not really sure. Wondering if a 60 inch beam is wide enough but wet testing is tough since most skiffs aren’t in my area.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
Modified Styrofoam Dixie Cup powered by a 20 horse soap sliver and HB Waterman with 50 HP tiller.
205 Posts
Not really sure. Wondering if a 60 inch beam is wide enough but wet testing is tough since most skiffs aren’t in my area.
That's what this forum should be able to provide for you.

Who isn't happy to show off their skiff?

Come see me. I have a little Spear skiff about that width.
I'd be happy to show you the pros and cons.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Tippy is a running joke about skiffs...all skiffs are tippy...no getting away from it...some better some worse

you will get use to after a few swims for lack of attention or to many beers

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tippy is a running joke about skiffs...all skiffs are tippy...no getting away from it...some better some worse

I have very limited experience on a skiff. I've been in a 18 foot with a 72 beam a couple of times. It doesn't feel tippy to me. I fly fish in a kayak on ponds a lot and stand up from time to time. For a guy of my age and size I'd consider my balance to be better than average.

I really don't have a clue about skiff. I have a towing and storage issue so I would prefer something in the 16-17 length but I am not certain about width. I like the BT Micro, Native SUV 17 and/or possibly the Shadowcast. I fish alone more than with someone else. I'd also like to simply be able to cruise around the tidal creeks with my wife (on the rare occaision) but not fish.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Tippy also varies by the way the boat actually tips. I’ve been on larger skiffs that moved less than a more narrow boat, however they made me feel less comfortable moving around just the way it tips if that makes sense. For instance my Bonefish bohemian moved far less than my Outlaw, but I felt less comfortable running around the gunnels. The Outlaw has a very predictable tip to it vs the Bonefish.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
wide boat and hard chine will be less tippy......u will be fine...I had a 17 suv and loved it...

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,370 Posts
Tippy is relative since you learn to move around your boat and also get a little better balance. 60" bottom should feel pretty stable for a skiff. You are coming out of a kayak and that you stood up in...

·
Registered
60 Posts
It has been a give and take with my Towee. Meaning, I went into this boat with the notion that it would allow me to get into skinny water. While it moves with body weight I have never felt like the boat would put me in danger. If anything, I would go for a swim first before it would turn over in anyway. I am slightly on the big guy spectrum and love the way this boat handles with me and another beer drinking hillbilly, even in chop.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Had a 70" "beam" BT Mosquito. It was fairly tippy, but a nice sled. Front end had a sharper bow entry, cut waves nicely was tippy due to bow entry. Chittum 2 degree, wide beam (80") and no sharp bow entry. Compartively, it's VERY stable. I've only gone in the drink when I was pushing super hard and found a drain on a flat. Chittum is way shallower drafting and running but a bit "chatty" in chop. Trade offs...all skiffs have them. Wouldn't trade my Chittum for anything else.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts

This.

It is sometimes a compliment as well. "Looks tippy" means it looks like a pure micro skiff.

60" is the small class of micros, but there are smaller. This is the beam on a Glades Skiff. First design was 48", then later 52", then jumped to 60" for better displacement for heavier engines. You'll be just fine at 60.

You just learn your sea legs and adjust.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts