Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Generally, what tippet strength do you use for inshore? I tend to 16 but sometimes think it is overkill. However I've hooked into some obvious heavy fish that snap me off so quickly that I think 16 is as light that I should be using. Not talking about going for records or going with light line weights for personal skill satisfaction. Obviously oysters and other structure can influence tippet selection. Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Im still a novice but I have been using 12lb tippet for red fishing. The schools lately have been mid slot so real comfortable with that, if I was dealing with over slot reds or decent sized jacks etc. I would probably be comfortable with 16lb.

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
We fish in the 'glades where the water is dark (and the fish are hungry...). I generally hand my anglers a poor boy leader with a straight 20lb fluoro leader with no bite (or shock) tippet at all... When we start to get into larger snook or reds then I'll add a short trace of 30b as a bite tippet... for really big snook and small tarpon up to around 40lbs the bite tippet goes up to 40lb... For bigger tarpon the bite tippet goes up to 60 or 80lb, depending on the size of the fly.

No you don't need a 20lb tippet for trout or slot sized redfish - but use anything lighter and a snook will just clean your leader - and send you home wishing you'd had a bit heavier leader (and the fish get to choose what they eat mostly so you need to be prepared....).

·
Registered
223 Posts
Maybe I’m just a simple guy from SC but I use 20lb floro almost exclusively for redfish. I do Taper my leader 4’ 40lb mono, 2’ 30lb mono, and 2’ 20lb floro and it makes a difference with presentation.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
10 or 12 lbs mostly. No snook here and I let them run if need be. If I’m throwing to gar I’ll sometimes add a little 20lbs bite tippet because they miss the fly a lot.

I should add that I mostly throw to slot to upper slot reds with the occasional slightly over slot (28-34) red fish. I’ve yet to hook into any real big fish.

I fish 12-15 lbs line on my casting rods. I never fish with heavy line and never had any issues of breaking fish off that I couldn’t contribute to something I did incorrectly. I can not see why I would need heavier line on my fly rod than I would on any other rod.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Generally, what tippet strength do you use for inshore? I tend to 16 but sometimes think it is overkill. However I've hooked into some obvious heavy fish that snap me off so quickly that I think 16 is as light that I should be using. Not talking about going for records or going with light line weights for personal skill satisfaction. Obviously oysters and other structure can influence tippet selection. Thanks
In super clear water and average redfish, 16lb might be overkill as you suggest. Especially if it is not fluoro. On the other hand, there are a lot of saltwater fish that are much more toothy than reds, and the water is not always clear. So depending on what and where you are fishing, 16lb could be fine. The key is to adjust to what you are currently doing. I wish that one tippet would cover all, but it doesn't. I would put 16lb fluoro in the range of good all around tippet for saltwater

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,235 Posts
16-20lb hard mono. I’m usually casting to reds in off color water and wind. The heavier tippet helps turn over the bigger flies

Reactions: Gervais

·
I Love microskiff.com!
510 Posts
Where do you live? Like Capt Lemay said, if snook/tarpon are around you gotta up your thickness on your bite tippet or they wear through way before you ever land them. Redfish and trout are another story.

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2,879 Posts
For reds, trout, sheepies I use 12# or 8# depending on how stealthy I want to be. In the winter time, the waters of Tampa Bay get super clear and super skinny, so stealth is key....especially with our asshole redfish...who are not only spooky but use the spookier sheepshead as their lookouts. However, I run the risk of tangling with a snook and getting broke off. Once the stealth factor is lessened, I'll go with a simple 40# wingspan connected to a 20# wingspan of FC leader....then I add a bite tippet as needed.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,254 Posts
I start with 16 and drop down to 10-12 if the reds are being snobbish...

·
Registered
189 Posts
If I am not fishing for records I usually use an old tapered leader that had the tippet section shortened. It is probably 30lbs at this point and only 6 ft long plus 2 for the butt attached to the flyline. Most of the reds in Texas are not leader shy so I do not need long leaders and small tippet.

Mike

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,096 Posts
12# FC for reds, albies, and general fishing. Add 30# FC bite for Spanish, 40# if good-sized snook are a possibility. For cobia and Tarpon on the 12 wt., 20# FC with 60 or 80# FC bite. For 'cudas, kings, and other toothy ones ni-ti wire bite.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts