Tiny Tach Help

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by rkmurphy, Jan 31, 2010.

1. rkmurphy

rkmurphy Well-Known Member

Hey guys. Just installed my Tiny Tach and took it out for a test today. It's the model number 2XLR for a Merc 25 EFI (this is the model Tiny Tach said I needed). The idle RPM seem to be pretty accurate (between 800 and 900) but the top end seems to be almost cut in half at around 3000 or less. I know I'm getting more than that but, why isn't it reading it?

2. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

I've never installed one RK. Did you read all the instructions?
    Is there a switch to change from 2 stroke to 4 stroke?

3. cal1320

cal1320 Well-Known Member

Mine was inaccurate as well until I wrapped the the red wire around the plug wire a couple of more times.

4. TomFL

TomFL Well-Known Member

Hmmmm.....slow to plane, and tiny tach isn't reading properly at WOT.....

Check your instructions for the TT install; be sure it's wrapped on the correct plug wire and if my memory serves me correctly it's 4 wraps then cut off the excess.

Be sure your ground is good.

Barring that, I'd start pulling spark plugs and see what they look like, although on an EFI motor I'd bet you'd not see anything abnormal.

Gears are running in my head wondering if you have a cylinder not firing or something at WOT, given all your concerns about your rig taking so long to plane.

-T

5. noeettica

noeettica Well-Known Member

I'm going to try a Sendec We'll see How that Goes LOL   :D

This one :)

http://www.sendec-products.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=151&Itemid=189

6. rkmurphy

They sent me the wrong one. Great customer service...I called this morning, told them the issue I was having, and told them the motor was an EFI 3 cylinder. The guy is shipping me the correct one today and I'll just send the old one back. No shipping charge. Good stuff!

7. noeettica

noeettica Well-Known Member

WOW a 3 Banger ! when did that happen ... You might be able to get the firmware flashed for more HP ;-)
    Dave

8. mark_gardner

mark_gardner I Love microskiff.com!

got a link to their web site murphy? i need one for my 2 smoke :cool: thanks bro :)

9. rkmurphy

Here you go, sir!

http://www.tinytach.com/tinytach/index.php

Call first to make sure you get the right one! Even then, they may give you the wrong one... :D

Great customer service, though!