Tiny Tach for mercury 25hp 2 stroke

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by love2flyfish, Mar 3, 2010.

1. love2flyfish

love2flyfish Well-Known Member

Is the proper Tiny Tach for this motor the TT2A?

2. mark_gardner

mark_gardner I Love microskiff.com!

good question, what year are we talking about? i have a 2003 and need to get one as well :cool:

3. love2flyfish

I have the same year motor, I think its the TT2A but I wanted to be sure before ordering one up!

4. mark_gardner

when you find out please let me know cause i want one too :) thank you sir ;D :cool:

5. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

From the website:

http://www.tinytach.com/tinytach/index.php

Ya'll no longer have a choice.
    They're only offering a single recreational model for outboards
    and one for commercial usage.

6. mark_gardner

thanks brett ;) only thing left to do now is pour me a big ol' sweet tea and position my chair by the front door to wait on the ups man :D ;D i'll let yall know how it goes :cool:

7. love2flyfish

Sweet thanks Brett! I think ill just check for the delivery date online with UPS. :p

8. jimbarn1961

jimbarn1961 GOT FEESH?

Hey guys I bought one last fall for my 02 merc 20hp. Customer service was great and easy to order from them over the phone. easy to follow directions and are also easy to install about twenty minutes for a basic velcro transom install. and they work beautifully.

So EASY a caveman could do it ;D

9. love2flyfish

Got my Tach today!!! I have a quick install question that hopefully someone can answer. Is the 03 25hp stroke mercury 180° = 2 sparks per revolution?

10. mark_gardner

got mine 5 minutes ago :cool: which is a good thing cause my jug of sweet tea is about gone and i need to pee soooo bad :D ;D

11. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Good question...I don't know...but I like finding out! :cool:

http://www.maritim.no/pdf/2/Velg%20riktig%20turteller%20(utenbords).pdf

12. mark_gardner

somethings not jiving with my machine (computer) cause that link pops up in writing that resembles a chinese love note :D ;D

13. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

update your adobe reader   ;)

2 stroke outboards require 1 spark per cylinder on each revolution
    and because you wrap the sensor wire around a single plug wire
    I'm going to say 1 spark per revolution is the setting you need.

14. love2flyfish

Good theory, and according to Tiny Tach you are correct because only one wire is wrapped!

Thanks for finding that chart!!

15. mark_gardner

yep thats exactly what i need to do, better call my computer handyman otherwise known as "dad" ;D i had mine on the 180* and somethings definitely not right, let me go out and switch it :)

16. love2flyfish

:mad: After routing the wire all the way to the motor, I came up a foot short! NowI gotta pay an extra ten bux to have them add length. And its not as simple as adding wire, you gotta add coiling(if thats an actual word)! :(

17. mark_gardner

ok so i got it on the 360* setting, fired it up and everything seems to be working great including the smoke alarm in my house :eek: guess i should have taken it outside first :D ;D :cool:

18. mark_gardner

disregard my last transmission scotty ;) when i changed it back to the 360* setting i cranked it and it seemed to read just fine until i remembered that i had forgotten to plug the frackin' spark plug wire back on :mad: now its reading funny again :(

19. love2flyfish

Did you try a fourth wrap on the wire? Instructions said something about adding wraps for stronger signal.

20. mark_gardner

yep tried that already, whats weird is that the top spark plug wire was disconnected and she seemed like she was working right, motor ran too  :-? thought i had it all buttoned up so i went back in to pour another glass of  sweet tea in celebration of another successful install on the boat, i walk back out and see the wires disconnected   [smiley=1-smack-myself.gif] now i'm back to square one  [smiley=cloud.gif]