Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2021 Ankona Advent
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm heading back up to Blue Ridge November 14-17 for my bi-annual camping trip. I have fishing on the 16th covered on private water in Eliijay for the whole day....but need some suggestions for some DIY for the other 2 days. I know we will hit Tammen Park and Curtis Switch the afternoon of the 14th after we get there....but need some suggestions for the 15th. I have never caught a brookie on fly so adding that to the list would be cool. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
533 Posts
A good spot if you’re willing to make the drive would be the Upper Chattahoochee near Helen. I lived up there for about 25 years and sadly IMO the trout fishing declined. There’s still a few good spots up there, The Toccoa being one of the best. There still may be some brookies on the upper Toccoa as well. A good source for information would be a man by the name Justin Powell. I don’t know him personally only through certain groups but he runs the Orvis shop in Atlanta. Hope this helps and you have a great time.

·
Registered
313 Posts
So I'm heading back up to Blue Ridge November 14-17 for my bi-annual camping trip. I have fishing on the 16th covered on private water in Eliijay for the whole day....but need some suggestions for some DIY for the other 2 days. I know we will hit Tammen Park and Curtis Switch the afternoon of the 14th after we get there....but need some suggestions for the 15th. I have never caught a brookie on fly so adding that to the list would be cool. Thanks in advance!
If you want to do wild trout fishing, you've got a ton of options available, and a good shot at brookies if you go far up enough on most wild-trout streams. The average wild fish is probably 4-7" with a possibility of fish up to 12".

·
Registered
313 Posts
I forgot to add. I’m pretty sure I’ve caught them in Smith Creek below Unicoi Lake at Unicoi State Park, which is also close to Helen
That is very true- Depending on wether OP wants to catch wild brookies or stocked brookies options are very different. Starting in November Delayed harvest waters will be open, including the upper Toccoa and smith creek. GA usually stocks brookies in all the DH waters, and they will readily eat a streamer typically. These are however not Southern Appalachian brook trout- but northern strain brookies that are stocked.

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2021 Ankona Advent
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just wanna catch a brookie and a tiger on fly. Those are the two I have not caught yet.....I'd also like to get a hooknose dinosaur brown trout. The last brook trout I caught was 30+ years ago on worms in upstate NY.

·
Registered
313 Posts
If all you want to do is catch the brook trout and a tiger trout regardless of if they’re wild or stocked, You can pretty easily catch a Brooke trout in North Carolina or Georgia DH. for the tiger there are some places that stock them on private water.

A wild tiger trout is a once-in-a-lifetime fish

·
I Love microskiff.com!
893 Posts
Due to the high temps and lack of rain NC put the stocking of they’re dh waters off, till water temps drop. If you wanna big brown, bring your 8 wt, 300 grain sink tip , ibuprofen and 3 days to chuck meat on the hootch here around Atlanta. It will be a wild brown, not a pellet head

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you are willing to make the drive, some of the prettiest Brookies I've caught have been on the Nantahala above the Duke Energy power plant in North Carolina. Depending on when you are there it can be pretty quiet and there are some good pools that hold decent fish. Not a terrible drive from Blue Ridge.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I caught that brookie that I posted above a mile and half hike up the Ramseys Cascades trail in the Smoky Mountain National Park. Because the water temps had been so warm that wasn't as many fish down below. But with the temps up there in Galtinlburg being 37 degrees this morning and a tropical storm coming in this weekend, the temps should lower and levels should rise.

·
Ankona Sales Rep
2021 Ankona Advent
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well looks like I'll be taking a float trip on that Friday down the Toccoa. So Tammen Park and Curtis Switch Thursday afternoon, float trip on Friday, and private water on Saturday. Cannot wait!!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I am going up to Blueridge as well in Nov. 8-12th.
Was going to bring my 6 at and just poke around. I will have the fam in tow so can't get serious.

Two questions if anyone can help.
First, what is DH? Not familiar w it.
Second - can someone show me a good streamer pattern. Curious what to bring. I made a bunch of dry flies and bead heads last year... need something new to whip up.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I am going up to Blueridge as well in Nov. 8-12th.
Was going to bring my 6 at and just poke around. I will have the fam in tow so can't get serious.

Two questions if anyone can help.
First, what is DH? Not familiar w it.
Second - can someone show me a good streamer pattern. Curious what to bring. I made a bunch of dry flies and bead heads last year... need something new to whip up.
DH- Delayed Harvest. Per GA DNR:
Anglers fishing delayed harvest streams must release all trout immediately and use and possess only artificial lures with one single hook per lure from Nov. 1–May 14 annually. The use of additional “dropper” lures on one line is permitted as long as each lure contains one single hook. These restrictions do not apply from May 15–Oct. 31 of each year.

Basically they just heavily stock rivers for catch and release only in the fall winter and early spring. Typically pretty good and not too difficult fishing.

Streamer patterns:
Sparkle Minnows (my #1)
if you want some more complicated stuff Kelly Gallop patterns are great, but typically more complicated ties.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.