Tilt & Trim Problem

Discussion in 'Boat Yard Basics' started by svasey11, Sep 19, 2010.

1. svasey11

svasey11 I Love microskiff.com!

Well I recently posted about water in my hull.  Problem has been fixed thanks for all the great advice.  My new issue is I went to grease my Trim and Tilt and now its very slow and the motor was getting warm, so I took the hole uint off took it apart and found that the o-ring that keeps the grease from entering the electric motor must have been bad, because the hole motor was full of grease  :eek:.  So what do I do now? Can this be fixed?  The trim unit is a Panther Marine 25 or 35 model.  No idea the size of the electric motor.  I've attached a few pics.  Thanks for your help.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Grease inside the motor is a bad thing.
    It dissolves the insulation on the windings and shorts them out.
    And using a solvent in order to degrease will do the same thing.
    So it looks look you'll need to replace.

:'(

3. Swamp

Swamp I Love microskiff.com!

Brett, I know next to nothing about T&T motors. What about using good old soap and water? Windings are varnished right? Soap should not attack varnish. Then dry motor in the sun and relube the bushings in the motor. Like I said I don't know squat about this kind of thing so...

Swamp

4. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

The tech sites recommend contacting the manufacturer
    to obtain cleaning procedures for armatures and windings.
    But for a motor that's been packed full of grease under pressure,
    I'm going to guess that getting all the grease out is going to be a problem.
    Any grease left is going to dissolve the varnish insulation.
    I'd rather replace the "innards" and seal than have another problem.

5. Swamp

Swamp I Love microskiff.com!

Gotya. Guess you'll have to put the armature in a pressurized cleaning solution. No way to be sure.

6. richg99

richg99 1652 G3; Malibu Mini-X kayak

Well, you already own the unit. It is full of grease.

BEFORE you just go and buy another one...why not flush it out with WD 40? WD 40 was originally created for "Water Displacement--WD--" but it dissolves a lot of stuff. If it gets the grease out and doesn't screw up the windings ( which you may replace anyhow)...why not give it a try?

Don't let the WD 40 get into the end bearings, or you might clean the grease out of them, too.

I do agree that I wouldn't go too far from home for the first half dozen trips if you need the T&T to get back. regards, Rich

7. Frank_Sebastian

Frank_Sebastian Well-Known Member

There is a once common solvent that might be of use in this instance. Look up tetrachloromethane (carbon tet) and see if you can find a small quanity from a chemical supplier of drugstore. It is used in the navy to clean electric generator components. I once used it in conjunction with acetone in infra-red spectroscopy.

It is toxic and should be used outdoors with safety equipment and gloves that it won't dissolve.

Frank_S

8. Un-shore

Un-shore Well-Known Member

Can you take the motor apart? If so wipe the grease off with a rag and bath it in dawn for dishes. you will need to protect the clean metal parts with a light coat of oil.

Don't get dawn in the bearing either.

9. svasey11

svasey11 I Love microskiff.com!

Great News I took the motor to Longwood Auto Electric on 427.  For 45.00 dollars they cleaned, replaced brushed, lubed and sealed.  Can't beat it :) Oh yea and I dropped it off at 9am and picked it up at 1pm the same day! Thanks for the help.

10. richg99

richg99 1652 G3; Malibu Mini-X kayak

Good news! regards, Rich

11. Un-shore

Un-shore Well-Known Member

that was gonna be my next suggestion ;D

Glad it worked out for you! :)

12. Gramps

Gramps Living &amp; Dying in 3/4 Time

13. Brett

Brett > PRO STAFF <

Did they tell you what they cleaned out the grease with?
    I may need to know someday... :-?