Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 Tohatsu, 30hp tiller has a bad seal on the stock trim unit. From ‘Y mechanic, looks like I’ll be spending quite a bit: $1,200-1,500 in order to replace, if I can get lucky and find a stock Tohatsu trim unit that will work. Does anyone else think that’s a bit much? I’m all for a skilled laborer making profit but kind of get the feeling that this guy might be blowing smoke.

I’m certainly out of the loop when it comes to where to search and hunt for this type of thing. This mechanic is asking around but coming up empty.

I have seen the after market trim units, CNC and Bobs Marine and am wondering if anyone has experience with these, good, bad, ehh?

My engine is in great shape otherwise and it’s on an LT25 Gheenoe. Loves to run and has never let me down for the last 2.5 years of owning it.

Open to all feedback and advice! Need to get it fixed so I can go find some fish.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Not sure what it should cost to replace it unfortunately....

I have a CMC on my Classic with a 25hp Merc on it. It's pretty good overall. I do multiday trips and have had my battery get low and I don't enjoy having to worry about the battery... Also, I've had the relays go bad on me once and I had to replace them. They are not waterproof..... They don't just FAIL immediately but the insides can corrode from my understanding.

I'm moving on from the Gheenoe and to an IPB 14 (early skimmer skiff) and I have ordered an On The Fly Jack Plate for it ($555). Basically it's a jackplate that you can quickly adjust while running.... Pretty wild. I like the thought of this as it doesn't rely on battery or any electrical components that can fail.

Video of it in action

·
I Love microskiff.com!
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great feedback, much appreciated. Interestingly enough, I went to school with John, the creator of that jack plate and have been meaning to call him to see about that option. I think it’s a great design.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Not sure what it should cost to replace it unfortunately....

I have a CMC on my Classic with a 25hp Merc on it. It's pretty good overall. I do multiday trips and have had my battery get low and I don't enjoy having to worry about the battery... Also, I've had the relays go bad on me once and I had to replace them. They are not waterproof..... They don't just FAIL immediately but the insides can corrode from my understanding.

I'm moving on from the Gheenoe and to an IPB 14 (early skimmer skiff) and I have ordered an On The Fly Jack Plate for it ($555). Basically it's a jackplate that you can quickly adjust while running.... Pretty wild. I like the thought of this as it doesn't rely on battery or any electrical components that can fail.

Video of it in action
I think your idea of “quickly adjust while running” is much different than mine.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yea.... it's certainly not like the CMC on my Gheenoe but I'm aiming for a more simple rig this go-round and will see how she turns out. May not like it......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts