Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The tiller fiction lever keeps coming loose on my tohatsu 50 and I keep having to retighten the nut. If I tighten the nut and set the lever all the way to the left (most resistance) it only stays that way for a little while then loosens up. Very frustrating. Are there any aftermarket kits that work better then factory for keeping friction on the tiller and limiting torque?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you put a nylon lock nut on it?
It has one on it. Might try replacing and see if that works. Problem is if I want the lever to move (i.e. reduce the friction at slow speeds) then I can’t crank the nut all the way down which locks the lever. Might just say hell with it and locktite the thing in at a set position and deal with it.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
limiting torque?
Fix your trim tab. The friction lever is not designed to limit torque feedback. Adjust the trim anode by moving the trailing edge of the tab in the direction the boat is pulling. If it's making right hand turns by itself, adjust the trailing edge of the trim tab to the starboard side of the boat, then try again.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fix your trim tab. The friction lever is not designed to limit torque feedback. Adjust the trim anode by moving the trailing edge of the tab in the direction the boat is pulling. If it's making right hand turns by itself, adjust the trailing edge of the trim tab to the starboard side of the boat, then try again.
I will definitely try this. How much offset does it normally take to soften it?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts