Tiller Extension Aluminum

Discussion in 'Boating, Fishing and Marine Products for Sale' started by VezzaMobileWelding, May 17, 2018.

1. VezzaMobileWelding

VezzaMobileWelding Active Member

30AB6221-399D-4361-AB8D-9687AFCB6F7A.jpeg 7FD8E246-0C34-49F1-B059-90B05461FF0E.jpeg 0DFE96D3-471A-46B6-BE68-C0EF9D4517FA.jpeg Hey, just looking for some feedback ?
    This is a prototype for my own boat I’m going to make the next to sell.

NsbNelly likes this.
  2. Whiskey Angler

Whiskey Angler I Love microskiff.com!

It looks over engineered, heavy, and not very aesthetically pleasing. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but that is my first impression of your photos.

3. VezzaMobileWelding

VezzaMobileWelding Active Member

Cool thanks for the input !! I made it out of scrap stuff I’ve had laying arround!!

NsbNelly likes this.
  4. dgt2012

dgt2012 Well-Known Member

A beefy version of the one that Hell's Bay used back in the day. No longer available, they stopped putting them on once they broke off the first tiller handle.

5. Whiskey Angler

Whiskey Angler I Love microskiff.com!

A more productive response: there was a metalwork manufacturer (won't say the name but it rhymes with "schlong farm" who had designed a pretty nice and useful aluminum tiller extension, but according to a lot of customers, the customer service and fulfillment of orders was severely lacking. Maybe you could design a product that is similar, market it with reliable customer service, and possibly make a few bucks.

Sorry for what probably came off as crass in my first post, but the pipe u used looked like it had unnecessarily thick walls (heavy) and the pinned adjustment joint looks clunky and unnecessary (either stick with a set length or consider using a set screw), and the welded lugs and the large diameter bolt at the clamp end could be downsized for a sleeker look.

Lastly,polishing, powder coating, or painting the assembly would make it look nicer.

Ill say this....there is a need for a well designed AL extension with a price point lower thAn a carbon fiber extension.

Good luck!

VezzaMobileWelding and Hardluk81 like this.
  6. Hardluk81

Hardluk81 Well-Known Member

^^^ This! Was thinking the same exact thing.

7. devrep

devrep Well-Known Member

It will probably work great.

8. hunter4626

hunter4626 Well-Known Member

Looks are secondary to performance-I think you got something there!

9. EasternGlow

EasternGlow Well-Known Member

Something to consider regarding weight- it's not just about ease of moving the extension around or lifting it. Over time, a heavier extensions will cause more wear and tear on the throttle assembly. How do I know? It's currently happening on my Yamaha 20. I have an aluminum extension that was a prototype built by the second generation "schlong farm". It is a nice extension and I've been happy with it, but I now believe that every ounce counts for this reason.

Whiskey Angler likes this.