Tiller Conversion on Yamaha 50 2006 2 stroke

Discussion in 'Outboard Maintenance' started by BayStYat, Nov 15, 2014.

1. I ordered my parts and want to get educated before I do the conversion.

I am converting to tiller. Please give me some pointers if you have done one before.

Thanks for the help

2. swampfox

swampfox 01 Hells Bay Guide.07 ECC LOSTMEN-sold

I help a bud about ten years ago do a old Yamaha. I was shocked by how many parts it took. We even had to change the carb out. To one similar to a motorcycle. With the cable cam and spring on the side. It was definitely more than bolting on a handle. But it was pretty straight forward. It took about 4-6 beers. I don't know about the newer ones. I would guess there is more plug and play with the wiring now. Is this one fuel injected?

3. no sir its the 2006 carburetor. There is a install kit that is required. I talked to Yamaha and they said that the kit makes it pretty strait forward. Nothing about changing the carbs so that a relief.

Thanks swamp for the reply

4. Vertigo

Vertigo Carpe Diem

I stuck a tiller kit on a Yamaha 90 last year.  The kit is two parts, the tiller itself and the adapter kit that fits it to a specific motor.  Make sure you have the proper adapter kit before you start.  The instructions are pretty good and the tiller and parts are typical good Yamaha quality.  The most trouble I had was removing the nuts and studs that held the original stub tiller.  Hopefully yours won't be too corroded.  Access to the nuts without the proper tools can also be a problem.  New studs and nuts are included in the kit and if I recall, must be used because of the thicker base on the tiller.  Heat and an "Easy Out" may be your friends. If you're hooking up a tach or other instrumentation, the proper colored wires are to be found in the tiller itself capped off with a plastic plug.  If nothing goes wrong, it's an easy job, but then again, something always goes wrong.

5. noeettica

noeettica Well-Known Member

I will be doing a little tohatsu in the next few days (I hope !)

The parts list is about 30 pieces :-(

and I bought a second "parts Motor" so I can see how it all goes ...LOL (great learning tool having a second motor right there !!!) ::)

but I will be going back to remote when I have all those pieces ...

6. perfect. I did get the conversion kit. What part do i have to remove?

[​IMG]

thanks for the help

7. No Bait / Lures Only

No Bait / Lures Only I Love microskiff.com!

Mr. Yat,
    what boat will you be outfitting the Yamaha on? Good motor choice, my favorite.. :)

8. [​IMG]

Just scooped up this mint gem yesterday. 2006 80 hours in fresh water.

i am having a new Caimen built.

9. Vertigo

Vertigo Carpe Diem

Your photo shows the nuts and stud that need to be removed. Your motor looks very clean and corrosion free, so you should have no problem.

10. Awesome thanks for the help

11. Tommysmicroskiff

Tommysmicroskiff I Love microskiff.com!

Stopped by and heard Dave fussing !

He said "I hope St.Yat don't have to do this s%^t!"

[​IMG]

12. noeettica

noeettica Well-Known Member

Waaay too much fun ...LOL

[​IMG]

13. Vert,

are you saying you have to remove the studs in the pic i posted also?

14. Vertigo

Vertigo Carpe Diem

If I recall correctly, yes, the studs have to be removed because they're too short for the new tiller. Check the parts included. If there are new studs, then plan on using them.

15. ahhh, ok makes sense now.

Thanks again

16. jmrodandgun

jmrodandgun Well-Known Member

Someone should figure out how to fit the Yamaha four stroke tiller handle assembly onto a 2 stroke. That janky ass piece of plastic Yamaha considers a bushing is all but worthless and the tiller gets sloppy after after only a few hours.

17. I am installing the style on my 2006 2 stroke.

18. jmrodandgun

jmrodandgun Well-Known Member

You're installing the 4 stroke tiller? I've been searching for one for my 25.

19. I ordered the second one. 

click the link

http://yamahaoutboards.com/Marine_Rigging_Parts_Catalog/files/assets/basic-html/page122.html

[​IMG]

20. Hey Vert

I used a stud remover from AUTOZONE. Best part it was free, Worked perfect.

[​IMG]