Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone out there have or seen a tiller skiff with some sort of a backrest set up other than a mounted chair? I have been trying to come up with something that would not get in the way of the handle but also make some of the long distance slow zones or casual cruises more comfortable.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
341 Posts
I know what the OP means, but the most comfortable position I've found (aside from a chair - I've used a duck hunting removable swivel chair) is leaning on a poling platform or a very compact leaning post.

For long rides.

Make no mistake though, that chair takes up some space and is the instigator for many a blue streak on the water in my small boat.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
702 Posts
There is a guide that has a built in back rest on his poling platform and he uses a tiller. I was essentially a cushioned seat that was attached to one leg of the PP. I think it was on a mitzi and the skiff in question was on one of the newer fishing shows. On my caimen, I sit with my back against one of the PP legs while on long runs, no cushion.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
341 Posts
Brings back to mind those raptor consoled gheenoes. Seat in front of the platform, stick steer. Looks like the funnest thing in the world to drive.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
I see vids of guys sitting on the platform steering with the tiller. I've done it for short stretches in manatee zones. running on plane that ways is asking for it if you hit anything in the water. probably get launched out of the boat even if your sitting correctly though if you hit anything substantial.

·
Registered
6,749 Posts
I seem to remember that dragonfly had a setup on their website ...pad setup on poling platform

I use to sit on top of the pp on my backcountry for long runs ...tiller extension worked fine...no fast turns:)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Or a removable backrest off the rolled edge of a skiff as well as the post approach is good only if you have a normal/shorter front deck

·
Registered
144 Posts
Take a section of a pool noodle, cut in half longways and slide over the PP to rest your back/butt on while standing or vertically on the PP leg like the pic above if you wanna sit and sit on your throw-able float and you're good to go. All goes back in the hatch when you get where you're going and nothing permanent is left on your skiff.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Take a section of a pool noodle, cut in half longways and slide over the PP to rest your back/butt on while standing or vertically on the PP leg like the pic above if you wanna sit and sit on your throw-able float and you're good to go. All goes back in the hatch when you get where you're going and nothing permanent is left on your skiff.
I like the idea!

·
Registered
'04 HB Devilray Merc 25 HP
1,044 Posts
I see vids of guys sitting on the platform steering with the tiller. I've done it for short stretches in manatee zones. running on plane that ways is asking for it if you hit anything in the water. probably get launched out of the boat even if your sitting correctly though if you hit anything substantial.
Manatees every time...

·
Registered
270 Posts
I know both Capt. Ren and Capt. Kevin Mihailoff had their boats set up that way... Long skinny back rest on poling platform leg then seat pad for the buttocks! Looks cozy...If you watch High In The Low Lands on YouTube you can see Kevin running his skiff with that set-up!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts