Tibor Reels

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by DeepSouthFly, Feb 23, 2017.

1. flysalt060

flysalt060 I Love microskiff.com!

All these tibors can be reversed. 4 out the 5 I have were left hand and I reel with my right. Billy Pate's cannot. Missed out on a right hand Pate not long ago. They are rare.

nativejax likes this.
  2. MariettaMike

MariettaMike Wish'n I was Fish'n!

The drag sound comes from those three little steel balls at 2, 6, and 10 just outside the cork riding in/out of all those little holes in the spool.

The reel sound comes from those two dogs riding over the teeth of the drag ring.

[​IMG]

Holding the reel frame, drag setting, how much grease is in those holes, how much backing is on the spool, and how tight the backing is on the spool are all things that can change the way the drag sounds.

The reel sound changes as the dogs wear in, and I seriously doubt any amateur owner has actually worn them out to the point of failure in their lifetime.

Do not spray any reels with a water hose, and definitely not a pressure washer. Take them apart like you would a firearm to clean them.

There is a lifetime supply of grease in every Tibor. Don't wash it away.

3. crboggs

crboggs I Love microskiff.com!

4. Caleb.Esparza

Caleb.Esparza Well-Known Member

Finn Maccumhail and mtgreenheads like this.
  5. crc01

crc01 Active Member

Did you
    Is this the one that was listed on up country sportfishing? I was going to buy that until I saw someone beat me to it. That's the second time in 2 weeks someone barely beat me to a good deal on that website.

6. jmrodandgun

jmrodandgun Well-Known Member

I hate you.

Direct drive, or anti-reverse? I have a right hand billy pate tarpon direct drive but I'm on the hunt for a right hand retrieve direct drive bonefish.

7. crboggs

Yeah. I got an "If you don't buy this in the next 30 minutes, I am going to" message and called the guy up to verify the images matched the description and the pricing. Pulled the trigger after speaking to him.

8. crc01

crc01 Active Member

Lol. Nice. I was on the opposite side of the same story. I'm hating myself. I watched it for days telling myself I didn't need it. Couldn't believe it lasted as long as it did. I finally messaged someone and said, "i can't stand it anymore, buy this or I will". Went to buy it and you must have barely beaten me to the punch.

MariettaMike likes this.
  9. MariettaMike

Don't beat yourself up. The Freestone has too small an arbor for the drag system, and isn't worth using. But it does complete the set if you're into collecting.

10. crc01

crc01 Active Member

Interesting, I've never heard that before. Do you mind elaborating?

11. crboggs

12. flysalt060

flysalt060 I Love microskiff.com!

It was a bonefish antireverse I believe.

13. Net 30

Net 30 Soy un Perdedor

HUH?

I've had 3 so far and couldn't disagree more. Used them from Bonefish, Reds, Snook, Trout & Smallmouth and the drag has aways performed flawlessly and I've never had an issue with arbor size or line pick up.

For a reel that "isn't worth using" they sure are popular and in super high demand.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017 at 11:23 PM
    K3anderson and Megalops like this.
  14. MariettaMike

A 5 wt is the all-around freshwater trout fly rod. That means 4x to 6x tippets that require very light static drag (start-up).

You would never make the 20-20 club with a Freestone. >=20" trout on <= size 20 fly unless you backed the drag all the way off and just palmed the reel.

15. MariettaMike

surely that's why they were discontinued.

16. jmrodandgun

This makes very little sense. I'm not sure this was ever the intended purpose of the Freestone. Seems more like a job for a spring creek or tail water.

I liked your answer better when I thought it was tricky speak to throw people off your hunt for your very own freestone. :D

17. MariettaMike

"In Fly fishing, a freestone stream flows seasonally, based on the water supply. In the summer and fall, freestone streams grow warm and have reduced flow because water from snow melt is less readily available."

I think "Freestone" was a bad choice in name for the reel's size in the line up. Who knows, if it had been named "Lagoon" or "Mosquito" it might not have been discontinued.

18. abgautier

abgautier fly fishing in an action craft 1720

19. jmrodandgun

I get that the freestone was named after a trout stream, I too thought it was a poor choice in names. What I'm getting at is would a 6wt be appropriate for casting a size 20 or smaller fly? Seems like someone who was after a 20 inch trout on a fly that small wouldn't even have the Freestone on their radar. For me it's a bad explanation as to why the reel was discontinued. A better one would be it competed with sales of the Backcountry wide which is a less expensive reel and better suited for freshwater 6 wt work.

Caleb.Esparza likes this.
  20. MariettaMike

That's it! "Backcountry" is what Tibor should have named the Freestone, and just stayed out of the freshwater reel market.

Even though I like the outside drum brake drag design in the Tibor Light reels, I just can't get past the drag setting knob being so different.