Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
1121 - 1136 of 1136 Posts

· Registered
739 Posts
Just a heads up. You have 2 clutch pins facing one direction and 1 clutch pin facing the opposite direction. This is going to cause an issue with the drag.
I have an Everglades that’s about 10 years old. Picked it up for first time this season and am feeling pressure with retrieve. The tighter the drag, the more pressure on retrieve. Hoping it’s something fairly simple and am just a dummy. Drag is still silky smooth. If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be much appreciated!

· Registered
204 Posts
So... Tibor hasn't been shipping out reels for months now and everything is backordered. Anyone else have a hunch they may just be updating all the models or releasing a new one? It seems like it would be time for that, but wasn't sure if anyone had any info...

· Premium Member
13' Gheenoe Highsider
90 Posts
So... Tibor hasn't been shipping out reels for months now and everything is backordered. Anyone else have a hunch they may just be updating all the models or releasing a new one? It seems like it would be time for that, but wasn't sure if anyone had any info...
239 has gotten some in. I’ve bought 2 backcountry’s and a signature in the last 6 months and had them in 5 days. No custom colors though.

· Registered
209 Posts
I keep seeing Tibor post shops with new inventory on Instagram and see some shops on line with minimal inventory.

I ordered a Gulfstream in royal blue back in March and was told I had a six to nine month wait. To say I'm a little antsy is an understatement🤣

· Registered
103 Posts
As Ted gets further down the line and the kids take more of a say in the business, it will be interesting to see what kind of emphasis they keep on the reels. Also, if Ted owns the building and has for a while in Delray, it’s worth a ton more now and might even be big enough to be an exit unto itself. I hope Tibor reels survives forever, but that’s certainly in the hands of the heirs at this point. From what I’ve seen lately, I’m not sure exactly how serious they’re taking the reel business. That’s just my opinion though.

if anyone doesn’t know (I didn’t until recently), tibors reel business is a small fraction of what they actually do. I was told to me by someone close that it’s almost been a “passion project”.

· Registered
302 Posts
I don’t think Tibor is gearing up to replace any current models based on the conversations I’ve had with them and a few of their bigger dealers. The demand for the standard Tibor series reels is tremendously high right now and their supply chain has been constrained like everyone else’s. I know the lead time on custom Signature orders is a year right now but they’re regularly delivering reels to dealers and they go out the door about as fast as they come in.

As Ted gets further down the line and the kids take more of a say in the business, it will be interesting to see what kind of emphasis they keep on the reels. Also, if Ted owns the building and has for a while in Delray, it’s worth a ton more now and might even be big enough to be an exit unto itself. I hope Tibor reels survives forever, but that’s certainly in the hands of the heirs at this point. From what I’ve seen lately, I’m not sure exactly how serious they’re taking the reel business. That’s just my opinion though.

if anyone doesn’t know (I didn’t until recently), tibors reel business is a small fraction of what they actually do. I was told to me by someone close that it’s almost been a “passion project”.
Ted’s daughter Marianne has been involved in operating Tibor Reels for a long time: the first time I spoke with her was nearly a decade ago.

· Registered
31 Posts
I think the lack of reels stocked right now has a lot to do with Tibor's polished finish anodizing machine going down a while back, and they had problems finding parts to fix the machine.

· Registered
996 Posts
Always get a kick out of all the opinions but that is what makes this site so great, right? They are literally making them as fast as they possibly can. Most do not realize how much time goes into each reel. Plus the demand has increased. There are a number of factors that created such a large backorder log. Other manufactures saw similar issues and even stopped taking orders at some points. There was a polishing machine issue but they kept making the Frost option so many people like. That is the double edged sword of doing everything in house. The reels are made, polished, anodized and assembled all under one roof. Not many, if any of their competitors can say that. Some have to send reels out for polishing while others have to send out for anodizing...etc.

Keep in mind the family has been doing this a long time. There are non family members that have been working there for over 20 years. It is not like Ted just woke up yesterday and handed over the reins and we all now have to wonder what will happen. As @Tailer mentioned, I also have emails from Marianne from 2010.

There are and always are running changes on reels. Some you have to look close to notice and others you will never notice. No real new models in the work but always testing.

· Registered
103 Posts
Chris, I believe you are referencing my comment. It's solely my opinion, so no offense to anyone here, or Tibor of course. Money rules the world, no matter how much we'd like to think it's all rainbows and butterflies. Industries certainly change, and I see Tibor as a relic in a new age. I say that as someone who has sold off ALL of my new-age reels to go back to classic round-porting Tibors, so I'm a big fan.

Take the property value of their commercial parcel alone. I live in Delray, just to the east of their location. They bought it in 1997. If they haven't borrowed against it, they'd certainly be in for millions in cash if they sold today. It's over 3 acres zoned light manufacturing, and they bought way back when for 1.1mm. This area has grown substantially. Their parcel used to be on the outskirts of town, and now it's not. What happens if they decide to sell and pocket the huge upside? So many do, it's how our town has been changing and turning into Lauderdale for the last decade. Mom and pops are dying. Single origin manufacturing is dying. How long will Tibor hold out? I hope forever, but I'm certainly skeptical. There's many new challenges for them that weren't necessarily factors not too long ago. I could go on and on, but I won't. I don't envy their position. The fly reel business is competitive and not ultra high-volume, and as I understand it, a tough space to fight in.

There's many ways Tibor can continue to be successful (whatever that means for them), but also many ways it could slowly dwindle into the "bygone from another era" category.

1121 - 1136 of 1136 Posts