Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Tibor Reels

228588 1135
Opinions. I know they are very nice but just curious as to why the price, what sets them apart? And if I get one, will it be the last reel I own?
Reactions: LowHydrogen
1101 - 1120 of 1136 Posts

· Registered
264 Posts
I am adding to my Tibor arsenal. For whatever reason, I like the old ones (not sure why- but I like the classics) and keep looking on EBAY etc.

Any big advantages of the new ones? It would be easier to just go get a new one- seems maybe a few less ounces.

I am not sure why I like the original hole pattern- but it may just be me thinking the old stuff was made better than the new stuff. The old ones with wear and tear cost about the same as a new one.

· I Love microskiff.com!
1,622 Posts
Any big advantages of the new ones? It would be easier to just go get a new one- seems maybe a few less ounces.
I have one Signature Series but I like the originals better. I have two New BackCountry and I do like them.

Reactions: Jared D

· Registered
“10K Islands adrift on a skiff,my worries escape me,with the flick of my wrist”
1,258 Posts
I am adding to my Tibor arsenal. For whatever reason, I like the old ones (not sure why- but I like the classics) and keep looking on EBAY etc.

I am not sure why I like the original hole pattern- but it may just be me thinking the old stuff was made better than the new stuff. The old ones with wear and tear cost about the same as a new one.
I spent years swapping Tibors for the new stuff. Now I have spent a few years swapping all mine back to the original old school ones. Which is way harder and more expensive now. I got rid of lighter and more high tech sealed drag models. For the simple bulletproof open cork drags. It’s nice to be able to to put your fingers on everything if needed. Not that in twenty years of using them. They ever needed more than a occasional deep clean and lube.

· Registered
103 Posts
Hey guys, so I opened up my newly purchased non-cl backcountry wide. The actual drag surface that presses against the brake drum is dark gray in color, even after wiping it off and trying to clean it up. I also noticed that unlike the reports I've read, my drag feels a bit "sticky", with fairly high startup inertia. Pretty tough to turn it really slow without it "slipping" (hard to describe, but it's not smooth if you try and go against the drag very slowly).

Is the black-surfaced drag candidate for replacement, or is this just how they are? It's cork, but the actual surface certainly doesn't look like it. Does Tibor even offer these parts for sale anymore?

· Registered
“10K Islands adrift on a skiff,my worries escape me,with the flick of my wrist”
1,258 Posts
Yep you wiped off your lube. I’m sure you can get some from Tibor. If not they can tell you what to get. Pretty sure it’s just a graphite grease. Possibly a lithium base but not sure. The corks will soak it up that’s why you can’t wipe it off. But you need a good smear all around the drum/shoe area.

· Registered
No boat
62 Posts
I spent years swapping Tibors for the new stuff. Now I have spent a few years swapping all mine back to the original old school ones. Which is way harder and more expensive now. I got rid of lighter and more high tech sealed drag models. For the simple bulletproof open cork drags. It’s nice to be able to to put your fingers on everything if needed. Not that in twenty years of using them. They ever needed more than a occasional deep clean and lube.
I'm in the process of trying to the same thing. There's really no reason to go elsewhere.

1101 - 1120 of 1136 Posts