Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

Tibor Reels

228588 1135
Opinions. I know they are very nice but just curious as to why the price, what sets them apart? And if I get one, will it be the last reel I own?
Reactions: LowHydrogen
1081 - 1100 of 1136 Posts

· I Love microskiff.com!
31 Posts
Quality machining and one of the best drag designs in the business. I still have one of the original ones that Ted Sr built on the old equipment. I send it in every two years for reconditioning and get a handwritten note about how nice it still is.

I’ve moved over to Abel reels in the last 5 years - just a personal preference of mine, but I still think the Tibor reels are some of the best made. If you can get a gently used one at the right price - jump on it.

· Premium Member
13' Gheenoe Highsider
90 Posts
I'm a fan of the Tibor Backcountry and Lamson Cobalt combo. Have a 6wt and a 7wt setup and they can handle most of what my Gheenoe can get me into here. For the rare occasion I need an 8wt I've got a Redington Grande and a Redington Predator combo that can sling heavier bugs. 7wt Cobalt punches into the wind better than the Predator though.

· Registered
103 Posts
I just put up 3 really nice right hand retrieve Pate's on eBay. 1 Salmon and 2 Bonefish, all-black, direct drive. I have decided not to re-learn fly fishing and stick with left hand retrieve. They're in excellent shape.
Welp. Tried and failed to sell at higher money. I re-listed these today at $100 starting bid and no reserve. They might go for a song after seeing the action I got on them before.

· Registered
25 Posts
I've owned a number of them over the years including the Spring Creek, Tailwater, a couple of Signatures, Riptides and Everglades. I never had a problem with any of them and the quality was top notch. The only negative to me is they are somewhat heavy and I've migrated to a few lighter makers. You can't beat the quality of the Tibors though.

1081 - 1100 of 1136 Posts