Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner
921 - 940 of 980 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Sure....

It wasn't straight-forward taking off the spool- as compared to a Signature, Nautius, etc.. Not something you'd want to do on a boat. There's a small screw and a 'tie-fighter' nut holding the drag knob. Not as bad as a Billy Pate though. This is fresh outta the roll-top bag (no box)... factory grease.

Mouse Computer keyboard Peripheral Steering wheel Input device

Automotive tire Rim Spoke Automotive wheel system Wheel

Wheel White Bicycle part Rim Spoke
Automotive tire Handle Wood Rim Automotive wheel system

I got it back together, but damn if I didn't spend 10 minutes looking for a spring on the floor. LOL. Pretty solid reel.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
91 Posts
Ross Canyon Big Game. A big tarpon turned it into a small game reel within a few minutes. 🤣
Yep. That was big fish. Made a hard and fast run. after 20 seconds the drag stop functioning and it went into free spool. Sent it in for repair and got rid of it. I have only used Tibor Gulfstream and Tibor Pacific with spool 2 since that time. The only issue I ever had with a Tibor was when a screw holding one of the clutch dogs in place came loose while i was fighting a fish. everything still worked, just had a clunking sound while reeling and drag going out. took the reel apart with a penny and tightened the screw. good to go.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Rim Bicycle part

...just wanted to say thank you to this forum for helping me pair this new old stock Everglades QC with a Signature 7-8 spool. This Frankenstein Tibor maintains the same gaps and fitments as my other std. Tibor Everglades. Awesome to give this old QC a new life with this combo.

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
13,745 Posts
View attachment 175170
View attachment 175169

...just wanted to say thank you to this forum for helping me pair this new old stock Everglades QC with a Signature 7-8 spool. This Frankenstein Tibor maintains the same gaps and fitments as my other std. Tibor Everglades. Awesome to give this old QC a new life with this combo.
Are they directly interchangeable or was there something Tibor had to modify to get to fit?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sure....

It wasn't straight-forward taking off the spool- as compared to a Signature, Nautius, etc.. Not something you'd want to do on a boat. There's a small screw and a 'tie-fighter' nut holding the drag knob. Not as bad as a Billy Pate though. This is fresh outta the roll-top bag (no box)... factory grease.

View attachment 174240

View attachment 174241

View attachment 174242 View attachment 174243

I got it back together, but damn if I didn't spend 10 minutes looking for a spring on the floor. LOL. Pretty solid reel.
Just a heads up. You have 2 clutch pins facing one direction and 1 clutch pin facing the opposite direction. This is going to cause an issue with the drag.

·
Registered
124 Posts
@Origin do I? Shoot- that pic was taken 10 seconds after I took the spool off (bought brand new). I’ll check again in the morning. Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
@Origin do I? Shoot- that pic was taken 10 seconds after I took the spool off (bought brand new). I’ll check again in the morning. Thanks!
It could be the grease and the angle of the dangle sorta thing with the camera playing tricks but just crank down on the drag before you go to far, if you feel pressure on the retrieve then go ahead and open it up. I like the tie fighter reference too

·
Registered
124 Posts
I think it must be the grease/angle... I looked closely and all three clutch pins are facing the same way. Drag is super smooth and firm. No pressure on retrieve.

Appreciate folks looking out though!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
506 Posts
Baptized the new Pacific today boating a nice poon while fishing with Captain Mike Sorrel, aka, Marietta Mike. The Pacific is a line picking up machine getting that fish to the skiff in 10 minutes. Great reel which just retired the Gulfstream to the bench.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Baptized the new Pacific today boating a nice poon while fishing with Captain Mike Sorrel, aka, Marietta Mike. The Pacific is a line picking up machine getting that fish to the skiff in 10 minutes. Great reel which just retired the Gulfstream to the bench.
Did you put the Pacific on a 11 or 12 weight? I'm between a Gulfstream and Pacific for a tarpon setup but wasn't sure how the Pacific would balance with the added weight on a 11wt.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Did you put the Pacific on a 11 or 12 weight? I'm between a Gulfstream and Pacific for a tarpon setup but wasn't sure how the Pacific would balance with the added weight on a 11wt.
The Pacific is fine on a #11, plenty of folks fishing that combo in the Keys. I have a Pacific on both my #11 and #12 tarpon rods and Gulfstreams on my #10's. Nat Linville at the Angling Company has a good video on fly reel weight and rod balance on his shop's site.

921 - 940 of 980 Posts