Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

861 - 880 of 885 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
anyone have an opinion on the standard spool vs spool2 for a pacific?
It’s a capacity thing.

The pacific with regular spool holds 600yds of 80# power pro and a 14wt line.
The spool2 (sadly discontinued) holds 400yds of 30lb and a 12wt line.
Basically the spool2 gives you Gulfstream capacity plus a bit with a higher retrieve rate.

If one was planning on hooking Pelagics in very deep water the regular spool is better, if one is planning on using for tarpon the spool2 is the preferred option.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Does anyone know how much hatch premium will fit on a gulfstream? My estimate is 510 yards, but I want to sanity check myself before I order a spool

·
I Love microskiff.com!
294 Posts
Does anyone know how much hatch premium will fit on a gulfstream? My estimate is 510 yards, but I want to sanity check myself before I order a spool
not exact, but pretty close to 20# dacron

·
Registered
402 Posts
anyone have an opinion on the standard spool vs spool2 for a pacific?
Newman is right. Only real difference is the spool 2 has a larger arbor and requires less backing. That may make it slightly lighter overall with backing and line vs standard spool. But it’s a pacific so no matter what it’s not real light. It’s still the best big tarpon reel with the spool 2 in my opinion, but not for everyone.

·
Registered
Capt Parker D
211 Posts
Newman is right. Only real difference is the spool 2 has a larger arbor and requires less backing. That may make it slightly lighter overall with backing and line vs standard spool. But it’s a pacific so no matter what it’s not real light. It’s still the best big tarpon reel with the spool 2 in my opinion, but not for everyone.
You fishing that on an 11 or 12? I just got one cheap and I’m trying decide what to do with it or if I should just flip it

·
Registered
Just livin’ my life easy come easy go...
827 Posts
Heck of a deal on a pacific right now on eBay. Moss green, new, BIN looks sub $500

Reactions: Smackdaddy53

·
Registered
Capt Parker D
211 Posts
That’s the third one this week that seller has posted, I scooped up one yesterday that was moss green with spool2

·
Registered
Capt Parker D
211 Posts
There’s a real pretty signature 11/12 on eBay, black and aqua if anyone wants it. I’ve bought from the seller before and it’s always been pristine

861 - 880 of 885 Posts