Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

841 - 860 of 885 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,181 Posts
Ordered a Gulfstream from Trident. Learned that Tibor had no Gulfstreams until the 22nd. They asked if I could use anything else, told them I'd take a Pacific if they could get it to me by the 17th. Trident upgraded me at no extra cost and sent it UPS overnight, got it Friday. Then I had to rig it. Took 1300 yds. of SA 30# gel-spun (all I had on hand) but it filled it perfectly with a 12 wt. BTT. I think I've had boat trailers with wheels smaller than that reel.
Got a surprise this morning. Package from Tibor with the Gulfstream I originally ordered from Trident. Now I have the Pacific and the Gulfstream, both for the price of one Gulfstream. Nah, I called and told them what happened and paid for the Pacific. Leaving for Shallotte in an hour or two to get the boat and leave for Choko in the morning. No time to rig it before I leave, have to do it down there. Life is hard.

·
Lowcountry Degen
1,755 Posts
Got a surprise this morning. Package from Tibor with the Gulfstream I originally ordered from Trident. Now I have the Pacific and the Gulfstream, both for the price of one Gulfstream. Nah, I called and told them what happened and paid for the Pacific. Leaving for Shallotte in an hour or two to get the boat and leave for Choko in the morning. No time to rig it before I leave, have to do it down there. Life is hard.
Good man.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Could swing by 239 Flies in Bonita on the way down and get it lined up. Not too far from the highway before Choko and they open at 10AM.

·
Registered
1999 Whipray, 2017 Tohatsu MFS50
747 Posts
Looks like a steal on a Gulfstream... $399, black

Man that would be a nice match for my black Riptide. Round porting and everything. Now, do I ask for permission, or forgiveness?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Good luck!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm looking at a couple of possibilities for an older 6/7 wt. Tibor reel. One is a Backcountry (original, non-cl) the other is a Billy Pate Salmon Direct Drive. I have a few Tibor Lights, and I love them. I've never had a Billy Pate, but I'm intrigued, as I've heard great things about them. What would the pros/cons of the Billy Pate be vs. the Backcountry?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
294 Posts
I'm looking at a couple of possibilities for an older 6/7 wt. Tibor reel. One is a Backcountry (original, non-cl) the other is a Billy Pate Salmon Direct Drive. I have a few Tibor Lights, and I love them. I've never had a Billy Pate, but I'm intrigued, as I've heard great things about them. What would the pros/cons of the Billy Pate be vs. the Backcountry?
Billy Pates are heavy, you could club a bull shark to death with one. Also, the Salmon is a little big for a 6/7 (probably OK for a dedicated 7wt), IMO. I have a BP Tarpon DD on a 10wt....a little heavy, but about the correct size...and I fished it on an 11wt.
I have a Backcountry Light on 8wt and Tailwater on a 6, they both feel about right. If I were looking for 6/7, I'd look for a Billy Pate Trout, if that's the direction you're looking to go. Or talk to your banker and look for a Freestone to come up, they are nice.....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for the info Mr. Man! I may pass on these and keep waiting. I would love to get my hands on either or both the Tailwater (especially the CL) or Freestone! I have a few Springcreeks and Backcountry Wides, in CL, but I haven't come across a Tailwater CL yet. The Freestone is a nice reel, but I haven't seen one lately. If you could be so kind, and let me know if you know of someone looking to off-load either reel, I'd be more than happy to do so.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've got a Backcountry Non-Cl, a Billy Pate Salmon DD and a Billy Pate Trout DD - the Backcountry is light and easy to remove the spool but the drag isn't as strong as the Pates. The drag is smooth. The Pate reels are heavy, but not heavier than most reels of that time: 6 oz for the trout, 8 oz for the Salmon. They are rugged and durable but you've got 6 parts to remove to take the spool off - not a problem at home, but you prob. wouldn't want to do it on a boat. I mention this because I have had the Salmon apart more than a few times - it has a bad habit of pulling the tippit into the reel if I forget to thread it through one of the porting holes in the spool. I don't have this problem with the Trout. Maintenance is easy for these reels. The Salmon, as stated before, is a better 7wt reel - I can't see using it on a 6wt. I have it matched up to an old TFO TICR 7wt. The Trout is matched to a 6wt TICR. The only problem with the Trout is the space available for line - to make it work with an airflo bonefish 6wt line, I had to cut off 10' of fly line and use about 125 yards of Hollow Ace Pro. The other reel you should look at if you want classic is the Abel Big Game 1

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
I have 2 backcountry wides one on a Sage Rplxi 7 weight and the other on a 7 weight Scott Tidal perfect feel for a 7 weight IMHO. I also have a Tailwater on a 5 weight Sage SP thats my sea trout road and it balances well with the 5 weight.
I also have the holy grail Freestone on a Sage Tcr 6 weight but barely use it. And no I don't wanna sell it that's going to one of my Grandsons when it's time

·
Registered
1999 HB Guide
616 Posts
I have a salmon direct drive and it is basically a poor(ish) man's freestone. Bulletproof construction, cork drag, perfect for a 6 or 7. I actually think the salmon is the best proportioned Billy Pate reel. The spool isn't too wide for the frame and it doesn't feel as heavy as the bonefish/tarpon models. Only difference is the drag knob is on the handle side. I sold a backcountry to replace it with the Billy Pate Salmon because my backcountry spool got bent. Not worried about the Billy Pate, as others have said, you could use it as a weapon. It also has the classic Tibor sound unlike the backcountry. Don't think ill ever sell mine at this point.

If it were called the Billy Pate Redfish, you all would have one.

They go cheap on ebay, give one a try and you wont be disappointed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a salmon direct drive and it is basically a poor(ish) man's freestone. Bulletproof construction, cork drag, perfect for a 6 or 7. I actually think the salmon is the best proportioned Billy Pate reel. The spool isn't too wide for the frame and it doesn't feel as heavy as the bonefish/tarpon models. Only difference is the drag knob is on the handle side. I sold a backcountry to replace it with the Billy Pate Salmon because my backcountry spool got bent. Not worried about the Billy Pate, as others have said, you could use it as a weapon. It also has the classic Tibor sound unlike the backcountry. Don't think ill ever sell mine at this point.

Thanks for the info, @Pierson ! There's one I found online, and I think I'll pull the trigger.

·
Registered
785 Posts

I have a DD Salmon as well and great in the 6/7 range. I love it too.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
294 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with the Speed Handle? looks to me to be a gimmick, does it get in the way?

·
Registered
58 Posts
There was a very nice trout on ebay last year that I really wanted, but couldn't justify it as I'm trying to thin my gear at this point. Still very cool reel.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with the Speed Handle? looks to me to be a gimmick, does it get in the way?
It's discontinued, no? That right there should tell you...... I would think it would get in the way. Of course, I have no actual experience with it.

841 - 860 of 885 Posts