Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 892 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Opinions. I know they are very nice but just curious as to why the price, what sets them apart? And if I get one, will it be the last reel I own?

Reactions: LowHydrogen

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,478 Posts
I have an Everglade and a Gulfstream...love them. Sturdy, simple, reliable...reels you can one day hand down to the next generation. I've taken mine apart and put them back together multiple times. Its amazing how simple the design is...but still the best around...

·
Registered
619 Posts
There are Tibor's that have been in service 20 years and still run like a top. They can also be found for a song on the used market from time to time.. I've picked up three of them that way over the past couple of years, haven't paid more than $400 for any of them and they are all functionally 100%. I could care less about a few scuffs or having an über cool color scheme to go with my flat billed hat

·
Registered
1999 HB Guide
617 Posts
I messed around with several other high end reels before finally buying a Tibor. After fishing them for a while I have converted my whole arsenal to Tibors from the Everglades to the Gulfstream. They require a little maintenance but not much (grease the cork once a year). There really is something about them that just makes my fishing experience much better. I will say I prefer the Tibors over the Abels even though they are comparable. The Tibor finish holds up much better (Abels scratch if you look at them too hard) and Tibor uses a double pawl design so if one fails or comes loose (it wont) you can still fight the fish. Abel uses a single pawl so if something goes wrong its game over.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Completely agree on all points above. Never had to send one back. Every other brand I have owned has went back, including Nautilus. I like Abel and have a 7/8n, but prefer Tibor over it. Oh, my Abel has not went back, but it is newest addition to the arsenal.

·
Registered
35 Posts
As much as I love my Nautilus reels and never had a problem with them, I have always loved Tibor reels and really debating one over a Monster/Silver King for a big rod reel.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
75 Posts
Pretty cool to see almost all of the original Billy Pate Tarpon reels first built by Tibor still whupping on the big girls every season. With all due respect, not sure some of the other reels will be doing that in 50 years or so. Plus, Tibor is a real gentleman, and the epitome of the American dream. It's a pleasure to support his business.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
3,478 Posts
I was trying to find an old Billy Pate when I stumbled across a deal on a used Gulfstream I couldn't pass up. Bought it from a Tampa area guide who was switching all his gear over to Nautilus.

Bumped into him a few weeks ago and he asked if I still had the Gulfstream and if he could buy it back. I politely declined. His words..."Never should have sold you that reel..." *lol*

Guy I tarpon fish with has a Nautilus Silver King on his 12wt. Looks like a sick reel too. So no bash against Nautilus at all. I just love the build of the Tibor reels.

I would LOVE to hang a Tibor Freestone on my 6wt...hard to find those...

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
I messed around with several other high end reels before finally buying a Tibor. After fishing them for a while I have converted my whole arsenal to Tibors from the Everglades to the Gulfstream. They require a little maintenance but not much (grease the cork once a year). There really is something about them that just makes my fishing experience much better. I will say I prefer the Tibors over the Abels even though they are comparable. The Tibor finish holds up much better (Abels scratch if you look at them too hard) and Tibor uses a double pawl design so if one fails or comes loose (it wont) you can still fight the fish. Abel uses a single pawl so if something goes wrong its game over.
Abel and Tibor both use type III anodizing. Its flat silly to say "Abels scratch if you look at them too hard."

Wrong. All Abel super series reels in the 6N and above have a double pawl.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Abel and Tibor both use type III anodizing. Its flat silly to say "Abels scratch if you look at them too hard."

Wrong. All Abel super series reels in the 6N and above have a double pawl.
Was going to chime in as well with the same thing. The Abel is just as nice if not nicer with their artistic finishing. Both amazing reels, would be happy with either.

1 - 20 of 892 Posts