Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was looking at the Biscayne Boatworks 17. Im interested in a full carbon/epoxy infused version of this boat. Got a quote, I think its fair. Any feedback out there on the pros and cons of a rounded stern? I like how it looks but how practical is it really?

IMG_6311.jpg

·
Registered
609 Posts
Looks like a cool skiff to me, can you say how much they quoted for a hull? If they want 25K, my first impression is go buy yourself a HB Eldora or get on the list for a Drake.

Their website is a bit primitive still and I’d never heard of them until this morning, but this skiff looks interesting. What kind of speeds do they advertise with different power options?

The website says the boat weighs 450lbs, if that’s a bare hull, no console, then they are definitely not the lightest kids on the block. If that’s fully rigged with a center console and a motor, well that’s different.

the site mentions a bilge box for managing water. I think Chittum uses this idea on the Islamorada skiffs, maybe others. I’d like to see how this goes together, make sure it’s reliable (not going to start leaking) and maintainable. Sooner or later you will be replacing a bilge pump and it better not be an impossible task.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,531 Posts
Rounded stern is great. It spins easier and quieter than a sponson or even square corners, and it also helps minimize water coming over the transom when backing down or coming off the trailer as the water tends to move around it as opposed to over it.

The boat overall looks really cool. Might be the angle of the picture, but that forward chine looks like it might slap in some small chop. Go wet test one and report back. If you haven't ridden in a full carbon boat, you will definitely notice a difference in the feel compared to a glass boat.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Doesn’t look like you can put a nice platform design on it. Hatch goes way back. You would have to put one of those where front and back legs taper towards each other. Looking at pic.

·
Brandon, FL
10,976 Posts
Looks like a cool skiff to me, can you say how much they quoted for a hull? If they want 25K, my first impression is go buy yourself a HB Eldora or get on the list for a Drake.

Their website is a bit primitive still and I’d never heard of them until this morning, but this skiff looks interesting. What kind of speeds do they advertise with different power options?

The website says the boat weighs 450lbs, if that’s a bare hull, no console, then they are definitely not the lightest kids on the block. If that’s fully rigged with a center console and a motor, well that’s different.

the site mentions a bilge box for managing water. I think Chittum uses this idea on the Islamorada skiffs, maybe others. I’d like to see how this goes together, make sure it’s reliable (not going to start leaking) and maintainable. Sooner or later you will be replacing a bilge pump and it better not be an impossible task.
I am basing my comment on what you stated so you better not be fibbing.

450 is a hell of a lot of weight for carbon...I would hate to find out what it would weight as non-carbon.

A bilge box is the cats azz. Normally reserved for big boats but really is a great upgrade. Plumbed right they are nearly fail proof.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am basing my comment on what you stated so you better not be fibbing.

450 is a hell of a lot of weight for carbon...I would hate to find out what it would weight as non-carbon.

A bilge box is the cats azz. Normally reserved for big boats but really is a great upgrade. Plumbed right they are nearly fail proof.

Yeah just to clarify the 450lbs is the standard Vinylester build weight. They're really not trying to build a super light skiff....almost reminds me of a Chittum but built heavier like a Beavertail...if that makes sense. They said the all carbon version would be around 315lbs.

·
Brandon, FL
10,976 Posts
Yeah just to clarify the 450lbs is the standard Vinylester build weight. They're really not trying to build a super light skiff....almost reminds me of a Chittum but built heavier like a Beavertail...if that makes sense. They said the all carbon version would be around 315lbs.
Before you commit to carbon you better trial it. There really is something as too light of a design. Think beachball.

·
Brandon, FL
10,976 Posts
PS: this might be a Chris Morejohns design.

·
Registered
609 Posts
PS: this might be a Chris Morejohns design.
They credit Chris on the first paragraph of their website:

“The hull sports an extra large and strategically placed and pitched spray rail to create the driest ride of any super skinny skiff in its size range. A rounded stern, inspired by legendary skiff guru Chris Morejohn allows for effortless and silent turns when stalking fish.”

1 - 14 of 14 Posts