Thoughts on primitive launching

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jhreels, Feb 12, 2018 at 11:24 AM.

1. anytide

anytide Administrator Staff Member

rollers, extra winch strap and ext tonque will get it done.

2. mtoddsolomon

mtoddsolomon Lip Ripper

Don’t listen to these guys, get the bumper, get one for the front too, I mean they need to look the same

jhreels likes this.

3. richg99

richg99 1652 G3; Malibu Mini-X kayak

Nearly every kayak guy has seen or used a PVC trolley roller cart. My heaviest rig was probably 120 lbs. No reason why something similar couldn't be built using schedule 80 PVC to carry more weight. The trick was to run a line from the front of the trolley to the bow of the kayak. That stopped the trolley from jumping off when it hit a bump. As far as the bunks, I've topped off my last three boat's trailer bunks with 3x4 PVC gutter downspouts cut lengthwise. Where there is a will, there is a way.

jhreels likes this.
  4. Capnredfish

Capnredfish Well-Known Member

Just looked at your boat on website. Just does not look like that is too much boat to handle. 17ft and a 450lb hull. I think you really want the the winch bumper and want us to push you there!

5. jhreels

jhreels Well-Known Member

Your not supposed to find these things out. Your supposed to ignore the facts and get on the emotional purchase bandwagon. :)

Truth be told, I am starting to come to my senses and just might buy an extra winch strap like anytide mentioned. Cause Lord knows if I buy a winch bumper of course I'll need some aggressive mud tires to go with it, and mtoddsolomon is right, I'll need a front bumper too, and before I know it I'll be on a truck forum discussing putting 4.10 gears in my axles.....

Yeah I just need to buy some boards to use as ramps, get an extra strap, and dodge a bullet.

WhiteDog70810 and yobata like this.
  6. SomaliPirate

SomaliPirate Well-Known Member

Don't forget a rear locker and a 4:1 transfer case conversion.

7. Mike C

Mike C Well-Known Member

Damn,
    I thought paying 5 bucks was uncalled for.
    I still try to use the free ramps because it's less of a circus.

8. Mike C

Mike C Well-Known Member

Next time you launch your boat. Spray your bunks with silicone spray. When you get ready to put it back on the trailer, spray the crap out of it again and then load up.
    Dry launching a Tailfisher is possible after the spray.
    Ask me how I know...

PSA, If you do spray your bunks, don't back down a steep ramp without having your safety chain attached.

jhreels likes this.
  9. CurtisWright

CurtisWright Light, Strong, Cheap. Pick Two.

Its $10 everywhere in LA with no public ramps that I know of. From what I remember Venice is $20.

jmrodandgun likes this.
  10. SomaliPirate

SomaliPirate Well-Known Member

City of Cedar Key wants $16 a day to use their crappy ramp :mad:

jimsmicro likes this.
  11. Vertigo

Vertigo Carpe Diem

An airboat style trailer with a torsion axle, low bed and long tongue will get you in and out of most primitive launches. I think I'd rather have a front mounted winch to pull my truck/trailer/boat out of the sand rather than a rear mounted winch.
    [​IMG]

12. Zika

Zika Forgotten Coaster

Check with the county parks department. I buy several annual passes, including one for Wakulla County which covers all public ramps. They even offer a veteran's discount and if you launch at a particular spot more than a few times a year, it pays for itself. For federal lands like the National Wildlife Refuges, an annual duck stamp will cover a fiscal year. BTW, $10 daily is the going rate along this stretch of the coast.

13. zthomas

zthomas I Love microskiff.com!

I've seen several variations on this idea (http://www.bajaenterprises.net/BoatWheels.html) used in Baja with varying success. With a light trailer, you can hand-roll the trailer into the water, load the boat, then winch the trailer and boat up to where you could hook it back up to your tow vehicle.

Incidentally, I wrote a guidebook a few years back to launching offshore-capable boats in Baja — generally at remote, primitive spots. Did all the research firsthand with an old Kencraft 206. The cartels hung a bunch of human heads from an overpass in Tijuana the month after I published the book, which kind of hurt sales, and the security situation never really returned to what it had been before. So I barely broke even, but it was a hell of a way to pay for a couple years worth of adventures and fishing with my dad.

I quit selling them to Amazon last year, but if anybody really wants a copy I've got a closet full. https://www.amazon.com/Anglers-Guid...1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1518556486&sr=1-1-fkmr0

14. zthomas

Here's a video showing another take on the "third wheel" setup:

15. EvanHammer

EvanHammer I Love microskiff.com!

Is it still unsafe to drive down the peninsula from California? I've always wanted to do that but fear I missed my chance.

16. zthomas

I haven't driven down for 6 or 7 years now, so I can't say firsthand. But my 70-something parents drive round-trip twice a year to a house they have between Mulege and Loreto on the Cortez side about 12 hours down from the border. The conventional wisdom is to not stop until you get to Ensenada, about 70 miles down. From there to Cabo, it's always been pretty safe — very rural, very sparsely populated, generally friendly.

17. jmrodandgun

jmrodandgun Well-Known Member

After using the Leeville public launch, I'd be willing to pay $50 if it kept the trash out.

18. KurtActual

KurtActual Active Member

That's what they make these for:
    [​IMG]

jhreels and zthomas like this.
  19. jhreels

jhreels Well-Known Member

found out a front receiver hitch for my truck is only 150 bucks, this may be what I go with.

KurtActual likes this.