Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Ex Troutbum
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So folks I have fly fished for the vast majority of my life, and a lot of that for stripers and blues in New England. Now living in the Tampa area I am learning what works and doesn't here. Learning the game here has been challenging on many levels.

First I wade fished the flats mostly around upper Tampa Bay. A couple of days I actually caught fish both reds and trout. On those days the fish were in and happily tailing and eating. Some days I must have seen 200 fish around me, those days were few, two to be exact out of a dozen or more trips. Some days the fish were there and spooky and not apparently eating. Most days the fish were absent.

Now having bought a Beavertail Strike, I am learning anew. First I was shocked at how shallow Tampa Bay is. I am glad I bought a skinny water boat as a bay boat would have left me looking from the outside at many of the places I fish. Secondly I was surprised at how the fish spook at the boat. Even with the trolling motor off, and just sitting there. Many times before I see the fish they see me and veer off.

So still learning. Learning to have the courage to put the boat on plane to cross shallow areas. Trying to find the courage to get my 60 year old ass up on the poling platform. Learning to find fish, and learning how not to spook them.

Thank god for snook, I have caught a bunch of those from the skiff and they keep the day from being skunked.

Gad

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Some times tails all around you might just be mullet. They reds do hang around the mullet though. The fish are so spooky because of the constant pressure on them. If you can fish the middle of the week when the fish don't have as much pressure. Congrats on the new boat. Consider yourself lucky alot of people catch reds and no snook. Your way ahead of the game.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts