Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Whatever you get is going to be a huge upgrade in ride, fishability, and utility from a CS.

Wouldn't over think it - if you liked the Maverick it's awfully hard to go wrong with one in Florida. Buy a used one in decent shape that fits your budget and call it a day. After you use it for a few years, you will find things you like/don't like and can consider for your next one!
Yeah. Its just this will be my FIRST boat that I have on my own (I've always fished from my dad's, which is like having my own) so I want to get it right from the beginning, but realize that may not be possible. I try to consider the type of fishing I normally do with my dad's CS and want to continue with that style, but also looking to expand my horizons and possibly get more into sight fishing (which I love but don't get a chance to do much). I will still likely use my dad's boat for our camping trips because of the room for all our junk. I'm just having a hard time defining that line between having a comfortable skiff that is family friendly and fits with the type of fishing we do most of the time, and one that will open up new avenues to styles of fishing I would like to explore and give me more range. All that and still fit in my garage!

Still researching and I do plan on attending that show on Sunday. I am reconsidering my budget for sure now. I started way back when with 15k, then went to mid 20s now considering north of there if I can find something that really "fits". I'm all about buying the best I can afford and buying once (or at least for a long time).

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,018 Posts
I’m in south Florida! When and where is the show? It’s my sons birthday weekend but maybe i can sneak away with him I’m sure he’d love to go. This is not the Miami show is it? I heard it’s a ZOO. Would still love to drop by. I’ll send you a PM!
I’m not sure where you’re located
I just got home from a keys trip.
While I was there I heard there is going to be a boat show at Duck Key weekend of 21st.
Don’t know anything about it, except I heard it’s on!😀

71 Posts
Before all this covid mess, I was ready to pull the trigger on a Tavernier build. I still love the idea of a Tavernier but now I'm confused.

The purpose of the skiff was to have something small and easy to maintain that I can keep in garage and take out whenever I want. It is mainly for me and my son but occasionally my son and Dad will fish with me. Most of my fishing is on the west coast of florida where my dad keeps his Carolina Skiff most of the year and we do a few trips in the winter time to Flamingo/ENP. I wanted something to fill in the gaps when I wasn't using my dads skiff (I live on the east coast, and want to explore other fishing grounds).

I liked the utility of the carolina skiff but hate the ride in even the mildest of chop. I considered a 16-17ft CS but no way Jose, that will be worse than what I'm used to. I had settled on the Tavernier because it seemed like a good compromise of cost, utility, and reasonably good handling.

Here is where things got screwed up. I went fishing recently aboard an older Maverick HPXv (17) with a 2 banger yammy 90 and holy shit was I impressed. The speed, the ride quality, the fishability. I don't do a lot of poling on my dads CS but I got to pole the maverick and I had a blast sighting snook and redfish. I was also impressed by the stability and the amount of storage aboard. It was 2 adults and my 10 year old aboard and was totally comfortable.

So now I feel like its back to the drawing board. Not sure I have the budget for a new maverick build, but now I'm reconsidering going with something a little more conducive to poling with a longer range. I still want some utility to possibly do a camping trip or 2 a year, and something comfortable to fish for my family. I loved the fact that this thing handled awesome in a windchop. Remember, all I know is Caronlina skiff so I'm sure anything with a pointy front will be better.

All this considered, what else should be on my radar? A used maverick or beavertail just got added to my list, but I like the idea of having something built just for me and the peace of mind of a new engine with full warranty as I'm not so mechanically inclined.

I still need to recover from the financial hit from all the time off, but I'd like to make a decision in the next 6 months so I'm back to the drawing board.
I had a Maverick Mirage with a 90 2 stroke, great boat, if you find one, buy it for sure

·
Registered
20 Posts
You have more input that you need...but...I fish a 2010 HPX-T. If you are going to run across water 10 inches to a foot often then it may be worth looking at. Its actually more stable than a V when poling. If you're wiling to trim it down and run at 20-25 mph in chop it'll do fine. I don't think I'd want to fish out of any skiff on a day when I wouldn't run the HPX-T but would run a V....but...bottom line any of the Maverick line will fish well and hold up well.

71 Posts
I had a Maverick Mirage with a 90 2 stroke, great boat, if you find one, buy it for sure
I bought my used Maverick Mirage with 90 HP Yamaha and trailer excellent shape
in 2009 for under 10K
I fished the Maverick from Charlotte Harbor, Boca Grande, all down the SW FL coast to Key West all the way out to Marquesas Keys plus all over the Glades

Reactions: crboggs

·
Registered
10 Posts
Before all this covid mess, I was ready to pull the trigger on a Tavernier build. I still love the idea of a Tavernier but now I'm confused.

The purpose of the skiff was to have something small and easy to maintain that I can keep in garage and take out whenever I want. It is mainly for me and my son but occasionally my son and Dad will fish with me. Most of my fishing is on the west coast of florida where my dad keeps his Carolina Skiff most of the year and we do a few trips in the winter time to Flamingo/ENP. I wanted something to fill in the gaps when I wasn't using my dads skiff (I live on the east coast, and want to explore other fishing grounds).

I liked the utility of the carolina skiff but hate the ride in even the mildest of chop. I considered a 16-17ft CS but no way Jose, that will be worse than what I'm used to. I had settled on the Tavernier because it seemed like a good compromise of cost, utility, and reasonably good handling.

Here is where things got screwed up. I went fishing recently aboard an older Maverick HPXv (17) with a 2 banger yammy 90 and holy shit was I impressed. The speed, the ride quality, the fishability. I don't do a lot of poling on my dads CS but I got to pole the maverick and I had a blast sighting snook and redfish. I was also impressed by the stability and the amount of storage aboard. It was 2 adults and my 10 year old aboard and was totally comfortable.

So now I feel like its back to the drawing board. Not sure I have the budget for a new maverick build, but now I'm reconsidering going with something a little more conducive to poling with a longer range. I still want some utility to possibly do a camping trip or 2 a year, and something comfortable to fish for my family. I loved the fact that this thing handled awesome in a windchop. Remember, all I know is Caronlina skiff so I'm sure anything with a pointy front will be better.

All this considered, what else should be on my radar? A used maverick or beavertail just got added to my list, but I like the idea of having something built just for me and the peace of mind of a new engine with full warranty as I'm not so mechanically inclined.

I still need to recover from the financial hit from all the time off, but I'd like to make a decision in the next 6 months so I'm back to the drawing board.
Look at Bay Craft boats. I own the 18 tunnel hull. Nicely built and half the price of a Maverick

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2018 Tavernier, 60 hp Suzuki, with about 25 hours on it. It was a special build.
Build details-
Tavernier 17-
Whisper gray hull with a two tone whisper gray and matterhorn white deck.
Whisper gray console and livewell.
Moved the livewell and console forward 3”.
House battery and power pole pump is in console.
Suzuki 60 four stroke
Motor guide Xi5 TM
8’ Power pole
V Marine push pole holders
Simrad
Quick release brackets for the TM and ladder. Can also use the rear quick release bracket to store the TM.

I purchased from “privateer” a long time microskiff member. I fish the big bend and the oyster beds and rocks out of the Aucilla river limit my time to high tides only. The boat is far too nice for that exposure. Let me know if interested and I’ll get you pics.

·
Registered
25 Posts

Look at the Ankona Native SUV 17’. You can into this for around $25K decked out and it rides good, runs shallow, and poles great in 5-6”.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
13 Posts
I have a 2018 Tavernier, 60 hp Suzuki, with about 25 hours on it. It was a special build.
Build details-
Tavernier 17-
Whisper gray hull with a two tone whisper gray and matterhorn white deck.
Whisper gray console and livewell.
Moved the livewell and console forward 3”.
House battery and power pole pump is in console.
Suzuki 60 four stroke
Motor guide Xi5 TM
8’ Power pole
V Marine push pole holders
Simrad
Quick release brackets for the TM and ladder. Can also use the rear quick release bracket to store the TM.

I purchased from “privateer” a long time microskiff member. I fish the big bend and the oyster beds and rocks out of the Aucilla river limit my time to high tides only. The boat is far too nice for that exposure. Let me know if interested and I’ll get you pics.
PM sent. If Rovster is not interested, let me know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Which one of the ECC hulls should I be looking at. Seems like the Fury and Lostmen probably fit my needs best. Which one most compares to the HPXv? Same with the beavertail Line. Seems like the mosquito would be the one I would be looking at.
I'm right where you are looking at new builds. I've been talking to EC and have settled on the EVOx. It's got some refinements that the Lostmen doesn't have. LM is a great all around hull but is an older model. Other boats I'm looking at include the Ankona Cayenne, Sabine Versatile and Deadrise Zero 18. If I win the lotto I'm getting a Chittum.

Good luck with the process. Lead time is 10 months and up as far as I can find!

·
Registered
3 Posts

Good morning, take a look at Ankona’s Salt Marsh Skiff. I have a 2020 16’ Heron. It fits into my garage, the quality is great and the boat is solid. I know there are lots of great options and many opinions about
brand vs brand, so take a look online or visit the factory in Fort Pierce, Florida.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts