Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
I Love microskiff.com!
980 Posts
Interesting, for sure. What part/parts of Florida did you fish?
Mostly the Panhandle- fished Choctawahatchee (sp??) Bay and ran the beach front a bit.

But also the Indian River south of Melbourne down to Sebastian (wife's roommate from college lives in Melbourne Beach). And I have a buddy who has a PM 18 Evo in Tampa who, in pre-covid times, I'd see when I had to go to my company's offices in Sarasota.

And Brian Floyd down in Islamorada who collaborated with Chris Morejohn on the 10 Weight skiffs used to run an Andros Backwater 18 which is basically the Panga Marine 18 Skiff but with the Evo cap & deck.

·
Registered
Ocean kayak
662 Posts
Mostly the Panhandle- fished Choctawahatchee (sp??) Bay and ran the beach front a bit.

But also the Indian River south of Melbourne down to Sebastian (wife's roommate from college lives in Melbourne Beach). And I have a buddy who has a PM 18 Evo in Tampa who, in pre-covid times, I'd see when I had to go to my company's offices in Sarasota.

And Brian Floyd down in Islamorada who collaborated with Chris Morejohn on the 10 Weight skiffs used to run an Andros Backwater 18 which is basically the Panga Marine 18 Skiff but with the Evo cap & deck.
Thanks for that. I'm closer to mosquito lagoon and spend time in IRL north. Right now only with my kayak. It seems like the panga may be on my list.

·
Sup?
2020 Hell’s Bay Waterman F70
211 Posts
These are the opinions I was looking for but would like your reasons so I can consider. Used mavericks seem to run in the same range pricewise as the Tavernier new depending on options. I'm not partial to maverick just had my experience with one but I assume skiffs in the same class should provide similar pros and cons.
My reason is simple, the performance is proven with maverick, hells bay, east cape, beavertail, etc. I owned an ankona native 17 for 7-8 years, was a decent boat but the differences between these other skiffs I mentioned are night & day. Go test drive some, if the manufacture doesn’t give you the time of day then steer clear.

·
Registered
Beavertail Strike
37 Posts
Wet test as many as you can. Use the 80/20 rule. Figure out what you will be using the skiff for most of the time, and what that looks like in a skiff, speed, stability, draft, ride, build quality, etc... and what you can live with and live without. You'll get better recommendations based on specifics on your wants and needs in a skiff.

·
Registered
Mitzi 17 Tournament
54 Posts
There is a used(new) Mitzi 17 in the classified section. I love my Mitzi. Not a Maverick or a Beavertail but also much cheaper and fishes great.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,146 Posts
I’d get on a Tavernier if you haven’t already before making a decision. I went from a new Ankona to used Maverick and they both served their own unique purpose. The people at Ankona are great to work with and provide excellent customer service as well.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Not mine - older skiff but priced to sell, and looks well cared for:
Yeah seriously this is a good deal. $20k with lots of stuff

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I was supposed to get a test ride from a Tavernier owner right before COVID hit. I still want to wet test one before making a decision. I was just so impressed with the maverick it really threw me for a loop. Like I said previously I don’t have much experience on anything other than a teeth chattering, body soaking Carolina lol. I have ridden recently on a 17 ft angler bay boat with a 90 and that was a pretty sweet ride but that was far from a “skiff”.

I’m really looking for something to fish Flamingo and Chocoloskee, with occasional trips to keys and Indian river. That’s my stomping grounds. Need something stable-ish since I’ll have my 10 year old with me most of the time, a livewell is a must as well as ample storage for gear and whatnot. I do not travel light and minimal.

It would be nice to have something that could make a sandbar trip once in a blue moon for my family of 4 but that will be a rare occasion.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

Just to add a little flair to the conversation, this is why I NEED my own skiff so I can do this whenever I damn well please!
Son’s first tarpon and a niece red we caught poling a bank in Shark River.
The drum we caught in Lake Ingram during our camping trip after Christmas!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Buying a well treated used boat, will give you the most bang for your dollars unless you are set on buying something new. A used 5 year old Maverick can be made to look brand new if treated well. My 2005 Hewes Redfisher 18 looks like a new boat when its clean. I think you can do better in the used market than new and you dont loose the instant depreciation. Just my opinion. I have a friend in VA that just bought a Mosquito for 12k, the owner wanted 18K, the boat looks new. There are lots of good deals out there if willing to look and be patient.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would look into the Ankona advent its a nice 17 ft foot long technical poling skiff 60hp, 40mph, would probably be close to the same price as a tavernier 17. Or i would look into the Ankona native 17 or salt marsh heron 16, 60hp 40mph. I would go new Ankona or saltmarsh 10 year hull warranty, a new maverick only has a 5 year hull warranty. Also new engine, electronics everything will be built new to your liking. when you buy used be prepared to spend some extra money to get the boat and trailer up to par.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
354 Posts
Many good used boats are out there. Number 1 thing is take your time and make the search fun.
With kids, you want something they will enjoy and not intimidate them in terms of ride and overall seaworthiness especially.
Consider new boats and their warranties, especially the engine. A repower say for a 115 SHO is going to cost you at least $10,000 plus labor to install for example. If you buy new during warranty promotions, you can get the motor warranty extended an additional 2 - 3 years at no extra cost for coverage of 5 - 6 years.
If going new the old adage "you get what you pay for" holds true. If you're not careful, you can be in for expenses you did not anticipate with anything used.

·
Premium Member
2,426 Posts
The folks at Ankona are great. The matcumbe may be a good all around fit. @East Cape will customize to fit your needs and are also great folks to deal with. @Skiffmizer aka Brian Floyd is a great guy, knows his stuff, collaborated with @Chris Morejohn on the 10wt, and will also customize to fit your needs. The 10wt also happens to hit a median price point on new skiffs and would be at or near the top of my personal short list.

Another option, have a custom builder build you a fully custom skiff from one of Chris Morejohn’s designs, while it may not hold the resale value a factory skiff will... it will be truly custom and in some cases “excluding a few from above” built better than a factory produced boat!

·
Registered
61 Posts
The folks at Ankona are great. The matcumbe may be a good all around fit. @East Cape will customize to fit your needs and are also great folks to deal with. @Skiffmizer aka Brian Floyd is a great guy, knows his stuff, collaborated with @Chris Morejohn on the 10wt, and will also customize to fit your needs. The 10wt also happens to hit a median price point on new skiffs and would be at or near the top of my personal short list.

Another option, have a custom builder build you a fully custom skiff from one of Chris Morejohn’s designs, while it may not hold the resale value a factory skiff will... it will be truly custom and in some cases “excluding a few from above” built better than a factory produced boat!
This ^^
...and a biased vote for the Floyd Skiff Co. 10wt :giggle: (y)

·
Registered
2019 Jackson Mayfly, Jackson Kilroy DT
748 Posts
Before all this covid mess, I was ready to pull the trigger on a Tavernier build. I still love the idea of a Tavernier but now I'm confused.

The purpose of the skiff was to have something small and easy to maintain that I can keep in garage and take out whenever I want. It is mainly for me and my son but occasionally my son and Dad will fish with me. Most of my fishing is on the west coast of florida where my dad keeps his Carolina Skiff most of the year and we do a few trips in the winter time to Flamingo/ENP. I wanted something to fill in the gaps when I wasn't using my dads skiff (I live on the east coast, and want to explore other fishing grounds).

I liked the utility of the carolina skiff but hate the ride in even the mildest of chop. I considered a 16-17ft CS but no way Jose, that will be worse than what I'm used to. I had settled on the Tavernier because it seemed like a good compromise of cost, utility, and reasonably good handling.

Here is where things got screwed up. I went fishing recently aboard an older Maverick HPXv (17) with a 2 banger yammy 90 and holy shit was I impressed. The speed, the ride quality, the fishability. I don't do a lot of poling on my dads CS but I got to pole the maverick and I had a blast sighting snook and redfish. I was also impressed by the stability and the amount of storage aboard. It was 2 adults and my 10 year old aboard and was totally comfortable.

So now I feel like its back to the drawing board. Not sure I have the budget for a new maverick build, but now I'm reconsidering going with something a little more conducive to poling with a longer range. I still want some utility to possibly do a camping trip or 2 a year, and something comfortable to fish for my family. I loved the fact that this thing handled awesome in a windchop. Remember, all I know is Caronlina skiff so I'm sure anything with a pointy front will be b
Before all this covid mess, I was ready to pull the trigger on a Tavernier build. I still love the idea of a Tavernier but now I'm confused.

The purpose of the skiff was to have something small and easy to maintain that I can keep in garage and take out whenever I want. It is mainly for me and my son but occasionally my son and Dad will fish with me. Most of my fishing is on the west coast of florida where my dad keeps his Carolina Skiff most of the year and we do a few trips in the winter time to Flamingo/ENP. I wanted something to fill in the gaps when I wasn't using my dads skiff (I live on the east coast, and want to explore other fishing grounds).

I liked the utility of the carolina skiff but hate the ride in even the mildest of chop. I considered a 16-17ft CS but no way Jose, that will be worse than what I'm used to. I had settled on the Tavernier because it seemed like a good compromise of cost, utility, and reasonably good handling.

Here is where things got screwed up. I went fishing recently aboard an older Maverick HPXv (17) with a 2 banger yammy 90 and holy shit was I impressed. The speed, the ride quality, the fishability. I don't do a lot of poling on my dads CS but I got to pole the maverick and I had a blast sighting snook and redfish. I was also impressed by the stability and the amount of storage aboard. It was 2 adults and my 10 year old aboard and was totally comfortable.

So now I feel like its back to the drawing board. Not sure I have the budget for a new maverick build, but now I'm reconsidering going with something a little more conducive to poling with a longer range. I still want some utility to possibly do a camping trip or 2 a year, and something comfortable to fish for my family. I loved the fact that this thing handled awesome in a windchop. Remember, all I know is Caronlina skiff so I'm sure anything with a pointy front will be better.

All this considered, what else should be on my radar? A used maverick or beavertail just got added to my list, but I like the idea of having something built just for me and the peace of mind of a new engine with full warranty as I'm not so mechanically inclined.

I still need to recover from the financial hit from all the time off, but I'd like to make a decision in the next 6 months so I'm back to the drawing board.
You've already gotten more opinions but, here's just one more. As James at JC Designs pointed out, don't discount the possibility to build a true "custom " skiff with a company like JC Designs. You would work and plan with the builder through every step of the build getting exactly what you need/want.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
980 Posts
Ultimately you really have to have an honest assessment of how you want to use the boat and where you’re going to fish it. As you can tell in here I’m a fan of the pangas and the versatility but they simply can’t do what I want the most and need- run and pole super skinny and quietly to fish the back lakes, marsh, and flats we have on the Texas coast.

·
Paddling away...
6,419 Posts

So now I feel like its back to the drawing board. Not sure I have the budget for a new maverick build, but now I'm reconsidering going with something a little more conducive to poling with a longer range. I still want some utility to possibly do a camping trip or 2 a year, and something comfortable to fish for my family. I loved the fact that this thing handled awesome in a windchop. Remember, all I know is Caronlina skiff so I'm sure anything with a pointy front will be better.

All this considered, what else should be on my radar? A used maverick or beavertail just got added to my list, but I like the idea of having something built just for me and the peace of mind of a new engine with full warranty as I'm not so mechanically inclined.

I still need to recover from the financial hit from all the time off, but I'd like to make a decision in the next 6 months so I'm back to the drawing board.

Where are you located? If you aren't too far from Miami, come down for The Florida Boat Show this weekend. I will have the Matecumbe, Ankona Caicos, Salt Marsh Savanna, and maybe even my Ankona Advent in my booth. Check us out Fender Pointe Fishing Company in booth C21.

·
Registered
Ocean kayak
662 Posts
Where are you located? If you aren't too far from Miami, come down for The Florida Boat Show this weekend. I will have the Matecumbe, Ankona Caicos, Salt Marsh Savanna, and maybe even my Ankona Advent in my booth. Check us out Fender Pointe Fishing Company in booth C21.
Where and when will that show be, please?

21 - 40 of 54 Posts