Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before all this covid mess, I was ready to pull the trigger on a Tavernier build. I still love the idea of a Tavernier but now I'm confused.

The purpose of the skiff was to have something small and easy to maintain that I can keep in garage and take out whenever I want. It is mainly for me and my son but occasionally my son and Dad will fish with me. Most of my fishing is on the west coast of florida where my dad keeps his Carolina Skiff most of the year and we do a few trips in the winter time to Flamingo/ENP. I wanted something to fill in the gaps when I wasn't using my dads skiff (I live on the east coast, and want to explore other fishing grounds).

I liked the utility of the carolina skiff but hate the ride in even the mildest of chop. I considered a 16-17ft CS but no way Jose, that will be worse than what I'm used to. I had settled on the Tavernier because it seemed like a good compromise of cost, utility, and reasonably good handling.

Here is where things got screwed up. I went fishing recently aboard an older Maverick HPXv (17) with a 2 banger yammy 90 and holy shit was I impressed. The speed, the ride quality, the fishability. I don't do a lot of poling on my dads CS but I got to pole the maverick and I had a blast sighting snook and redfish. I was also impressed by the stability and the amount of storage aboard. It was 2 adults and my 10 year old aboard and was totally comfortable.

So now I feel like its back to the drawing board. Not sure I have the budget for a new maverick build, but now I'm reconsidering going with something a little more conducive to poling with a longer range. I still want some utility to possibly do a camping trip or 2 a year, and something comfortable to fish for my family. I loved the fact that this thing handled awesome in a windchop. Remember, all I know is Caronlina skiff so I'm sure anything with a pointy front will be better.

All this considered, what else should be on my radar? A used maverick or beavertail just got added to my list, but I like the idea of having something built just for me and the peace of mind of a new engine with full warranty as I'm not so mechanically inclined.

I still need to recover from the financial hit from all the time off, but I'd like to make a decision in the next 6 months so I'm back to the drawing board.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
453 Posts
You've opened a can of worms now lol. The Maverick HPX-V is a fantastic platform because of the advantages you mentioned. If you're not too discerning, especially as it relates to fit and finish, there are fortunately a lot of other choices. If you want speed, you will likely need a 90 or 115 to get you 40 mph+ on most hulls. In no particular order, other boats you should consider include the Action Craft 1600/1620, 1720, the East Cape hulls, Beavertail hulls, Salt Marsh Heron 18 (especially if you were already looking at the Tavernier), Dragonfly hulls...the list goes on.

·
Panhandler
2,686 Posts
Need to figure out your budget first, but in the meantime you can read all kinds of reviews/recommendations on here. Most boats like the Maverick, Hewes, Beavertail or ActionCraft will probably meet your needs. All are capable of shallower depths, poling and camping with comfort. Ordering a boat to your specs is nice, but can get pricey. There are lots of great pre-owned on the market that are already equipped with accessories and without the sticker shock.

Have fun with your research.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You've opened a can of worms now lol. The Maverick HPX-V is a fantastic platform because of the advantages you mentioned. If you're not too discerning, especially as it relates to fit and finish, there are fortunately a lot of other choices. If you want speed, you will likely need a 90 or 115 to get you 40 mph+ on most hulls. In no particular order, other boats you should consider include the Action Craft 1600/1620, 1720, the East Cape hulls, Beavertail hulls, Salt Marsh Heron 18 (especially if you were already looking at the Tavernier), Dragonfly hulls...the list goes on.
Yes that's what I feel like! It was an incredible ride, at least compared to what I'm used to. But was super dry and smooth in a nasty wind chop and we were cruising at 34mph.

As far as budget goes, the Tavernier I was looking into was well optioned and in the mid 20's so that WAS my budget more or less. I could probably stretch that a bit to get what I want but I can't see myself stretching into the 40's. 30's could be a possibility for the right situation.

Is there a big difference in ride between the maverick v, s, and t? I see these occasionally on CL and other places. I suspect I rode the best riding one but not sure how the others compare as I have not been on many boats other than offshore and carolina skiffs of all sizes. Weird but I grew up on john boats and carolinas.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Which one of the ECC hulls should I be looking at. Seems like the Fury and Lostmen probably fit my needs best. Which one most compares to the HPXv? Same with the beavertail Line. Seems like the mosquito would be the one I would be looking at.

·
I Love microskiff.com!
453 Posts
The HPX-V is known for its ride. The S and the T are better known for their extreme shallow water capabilities.

For the East Cape boats, check out the Fury or Evo.
For Beavertail, probably the Strike or the Elite

These boats new will be into the $40s. The Maverick is well north of there.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The HPX-V is known for its ride. The S and the T are better known for their extreme shallow water capabilities.

For the East Cape boats, check out the Fury or Evo.
For Beavertail, probably the Strike or the Elite

These boats new will be into the $40s. The Maverick is well north of there.
Thanks. My Dads neigbor on west coast has a BT strike. Always loved his boat but seemed on the small side. I always thought it was a micro so I'll look at the elite!

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,032 Posts
I recently sold my Panga Marine and am waiting on my Sabine Versatile to get built but if I lived in Florida I wouldn't have sold my Panga.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Any interest in a used East Cape Fury? That sounds like it could check all of your boxes and fit in your price range. 352-229-3832

·
Registered
Ocean kayak
851 Posts
I recently sold my Panga Marine and am waiting on my Sabine Versatile to get built but if I lived in Florida I wouldn't have sold my Panga.
I've heard mixed reviews on the panga style. I live near Cocoa Beach and am wondering why do you like them for Florida. I am looking for my first skiff as well, and really like that ankona/salt marsh/tavernier line.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Before all this covid mess, I was ready to pull the trigger on a Tavernier build. I still love the idea of a Tavernier but now I'm confused.

The purpose of the skiff was to have something small and easy to maintain that I can keep in garage and take out whenever I want. It is mainly for me and my son but occasionally my son and Dad will fish with me. Most of my fishing is on the west coast of florida where my dad keeps his Carolina Skiff most of the year and we do a few trips in the winter time to Flamingo/ENP. I wanted something to fill in the gaps when I wasn't using my dads skiff (I live on the east coast, and want to explore other fishing grounds).

I liked the utility of the carolina skiff but hate the ride in even the mildest of chop. I considered a 16-17ft CS but no way Jose, that will be worse than what I'm used to. I had settled on the Tavernier because it seemed like a good compromise of cost, utility, and reasonably good handling.

Here is where things got screwed up. I went fishing recently aboard an older Maverick HPXv (17) with a 2 banger yammy 90 and holy shit was I impressed. The speed, the ride quality, the fishability. I don't do a lot of poling on my dads CS but I got to pole the maverick and I had a blast sighting snook and redfish. I was also impressed by the stability and the amount of storage aboard. It was 2 adults and my 10 year old aboard and was totally comfortable.

So now I feel like its back to the drawing board. Not sure I have the budget for a new maverick build, but now I'm reconsidering going with something a little more conducive to poling with a longer range. I still want some utility to possibly do a camping trip or 2 a year, and something comfortable to fish for my family. I loved the fact that this thing handled awesome in a windchop. Remember, all I know is Caronlina skiff so I'm sure anything with a pointy front will be better.

All this considered, what else should be on my radar? A used maverick or beavertail just got added to my list, but I like the idea of having something built just for me and the peace of mind of a new engine with full warranty as I'm not so mechanically inclined.

I still need to recover from the financial hit from all the time off, but I'd like to make a decision in the next 6 months so I'm back to the drawing board.
Not mine - older skiff but priced to sell, and looks well cared for:

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,032 Posts
I've heard mixed reviews on the panga style. I live near Cocoa Beach and am wondering why do you like them for Florida. I am looking for my first skiff as well, and really like that ankona/salt marsh/tavernier line.
They're a tremendous all around platform. They don't do any one thing at an A+ level but they do a bunch of things at a solid B level.

Want to pole the flats? The PM 18 Evo is heavy but poles well for the size. Mine was a 10" poling draft which is more than shallow enough in the areas I've fished in Florida but where I fish in Texas if you're not in 6" you're out of the game. Plus, it is heavy so you're not going to be able to muscle it over a hump. You don't want to pole it all day but it works. Flats in Florida tend to be deeper and clearer water so you can troll a lot of them that you can't here.

Want to fish deeper holes or structure? Like drifting reefs and with multiple people? It's a very stable platform and depending on how you have it laid out is efficient.

Want to run offshore a little bit or handle rough, open water? The panga will do so far better than any normal skiff.

Want to do a family sandbar day or pull a tube? You're good.

They're not a fast boat but they're very efficient.

It's not a microskiff or a technical poling skiff so if that's your main use you won't be happy with it. I had planned on a poling skiff originally but the Mrs. wanted more versatility so I went with the panga and it just didn't work for what I really wanted to do here so I'm going with a poling skiff.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I’d try to find a used maverick before buying a new Tavernier
These are the opinions I was looking for but would like your reasons so I can consider. Used mavericks seem to run in the same range pricewise as the Tavernier new depending on options. I'm not partial to maverick just had my experience with one but I assume skiffs in the same class should provide similar pros and cons.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Any interest in a used East Cape Fury? That sounds like it could check all of your boxes and fit in your price range. 352-229-3832
The Fury is the the one from ECC that caught my attention the most. Truthfully I'm not ready to pull trigger immediately but would love to chat about it thanks!

·
Registered
Ocean kayak
851 Posts
They're a tremendous all around platform. They don't do any one thing at an A+ level but they do a bunch of things at a solid B level.

Want to pole the flats? The PM 18 Evo is heavy but poles well for the size. Mine was a 10" poling draft which is more than shallow enough in the areas I've fished in Florida but where I fish in Texas if you're not in 6" you're out of the game. Plus, it is heavy so you're not going to be able to muscle it over a hump. You don't want to pole it all day but it works. Flats in Florida tend to be deeper and clearer water so you can troll a lot of them that you can't here.

Want to fish deeper holes or structure? Like drifting reefs and with multiple people? It's a very stable platform and depending on how you have it laid out is efficient.

Want to run offshore a little bit or handle rough, open water? The panga will do so far better than any normal skiff.

Want to do a family sandbar day or pull a tube? You're good.

They're not a fast boat but they're very efficient.

It's not a microskiff or a technical poling skiff so if that's your main use you won't be happy with it. I had planned on a poling skiff originally but the Mrs. wanted more versatility so I went with the panga and it just didn't work for what I really wanted to do here so I'm going with a poling skiff.
Interesting, for sure. What part/parts of Florida did you fish?

·
I Love microskiff.com!
1,032 Posts
Interesting, for sure. What part/parts of Florida did you fish?
Mostly the Panhandle- fished Choctawahatchee (sp??) Bay and ran the beach front a bit.

But also the Indian River south of Melbourne down to Sebastian (wife's roommate from college lives in Melbourne Beach). And I have a buddy who has a PM 18 Evo in Tampa who, in pre-covid times, I'd see when I had to go to my company's offices in Sarasota.

And Brian Floyd down in Islamorada who collaborated with Chris Morejohn on the 10 Weight skiffs used to run an Andros Backwater 18 which is basically the Panga Marine 18 Skiff but with the Evo cap & deck.

·
Registered
Ocean kayak
851 Posts
Mostly the Panhandle- fished Choctawahatchee (sp??) Bay and ran the beach front a bit.

But also the Indian River south of Melbourne down to Sebastian (wife's roommate from college lives in Melbourne Beach). And I have a buddy who has a PM 18 Evo in Tampa who, in pre-covid times, I'd see when I had to go to my company's offices in Sarasota.

And Brian Floyd down in Islamorada who collaborated with Chris Morejohn on the 10 Weight skiffs used to run an Andros Backwater 18 which is basically the Panga Marine 18 Skiff but with the Evo cap & deck.
Thanks for that. I'm closer to mosquito lagoon and spend time in IRL north. Right now only with my kayak. It seems like the panga may be on my list.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts