Dedicated To The Smallest Of Skiffs banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
@bryson I think I’ve read a ton of builds but will say I defintiely cater to the conchfish and beryllium builds. Pretty sure I’ve read Seth’s, yours, Josh’s, Chris’ now vanmans, sublimes, Travis, and boatbrains/Jc and I’m sure there are others I’ve forgotten. I’ve read most of them over the course of about two years so I’ve defintiely forgotten some of the finer details and will have to go back and re-read.

most of my preconceived notions about the basalt I guess came from my hesitation about it maybe needing silica to help hold down and me thinking that’s just another thing to mess up but if it’s no big deal cool. Also I think there might be a basalt cloth dealer local to Houston if I understood correctly.

@VANMflyfishing y’all are defintiely doing a good job of convincing me to go epoxy since deep down I wanted it for it’s strength and secondary bonding but I didn’t have enough knowledge to know if it was worth the extra cost or if it was easier or harder to work with.

To be fair I really need to sit down and come up with a BOM but but wanted to nail down which hull and deck layout I want. I’m thinking leaning heavily to the 17.5’ with tunnel, modified transom to add a tombstone for the motor height, and rounded corners. I’ve done some prelimary asking around for builds that I know of with jigs available but still not quite enough jigs in circulation so I’m thinking I will get @jglidden to help me out there.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
If you really wanted to go out on a limb and be the bomb diggity, then make it a key slot transom. That would take care of a lot of the issues as far as fitting it in a garage.

I did use thickened epoxy on some of my edges, but I would have done that with any glass I think.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
i actualy talked to Chris about that a while back and he kinda talked me out of it I guess because of its poling characteristic but maybe the tunnel already takes away the poling characteristics. I’m sure I could be convinced.

I guess for as far as the garage goes I’m not super worried about fitting it in there I’ll just turn the boat sideways as needed. I think my 17.5 preference over 18.5 is really wanting to have a boat powered well by the 60hp class and maybe that foot less of wetted surface area will give a little better top end. I also think the 17.5 will give plenty of room for what I want as I’m not looking for near as large a back deck and as much space in front of the console as what Chris built into his 18.5.

·
Lowcountry Degen
1,755 Posts
i actualy talked to Chris about that a while back and he kinda talked me out of it I guess because of its poling characteristic but maybe the tunnel already takes away the poling characteristics. I’m sure I could be convinced.

I guess for as far as the garage goes I’m not super worried about fitting it in there I’ll just turn the boat sideways as needed. I think my 17.5 preference over 18.5 is really wanting to have a boat powered well by the 60hp class and maybe that foot less of wetted surface area will give a little better top end. I also think the 17.5 will give plenty of room for what I want as I’m not looking for near as large a back deck and as much space in front of the console as what Chris built into his 18.5.
On these smaller/lighter skiffs, the beam will most likely be the primary factor in how the boat runs with a given motor (within reason, obviously). My 17.8 CF was seeing speeds similar to the 16 version with the same power. I have no regrets about going longer. For how it seems like you will use the boat, my suggestion is to go as long as you can fit in the garage. It will track straighter, float shallower, and be able to carry more weight, with a minimal speed sacrifice.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
wait a minute. Everyone is supposed to agree on everything. Y’all aren’t allowed to fuel my indecisiveness

·
Registered
232 Posts
@Timmayy I used epoxy for a carbon fiber tiller extension and it took 4 days to fully cure at 50 degrees. Poly cures to in hours and to sand in about a day as long as it kicks which can be accelerated with a heat gun or space heater. Mat is a pain in the ass too. It sticks to everything, but it is helpful in certain areas and building mass. With the tunnel you could do a 60hp Tohatsu 15" similar to a Chittum or the 60R like the Floyd skiff build. Couldn't recommend @jglidden enough. He can draft up the 17.5' rounded transom with a tunnel. He can do a create a deck mold too which will help save time and effort. I didn't go that route since I'm decided to bond my deck straight to the hull.

·
Registered
Beryllium 17'
80 Posts
Are you totally against going sideways in the garage or is that not an option for you.
Mine will be straight back, I have tools, lawn mover, deep freeze Ext Ext on the other side. There’s just over 2’ behind it in that picture. It “should” fit with a few inches on each side

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
So I heard you shortened your hull even shorter than the 17.5. Any reason you did that over just a foldaway tongue on the trailer?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Don’t forget to double up on gloves. When spreading your fillets, make them as clean as Chris’ and Bryson’s. It will save you more time in the long run. And something I just learned today, change your garage light bulbs to LED “natural daylight” color, you can see all of your blemishes while fairing and sanding

Edit to add: Keep your silica and glass balloons clearly labeled and separated. You really don’t want to silica, when you meant to use balloons

·
Registered
Beryllium 17'
80 Posts
So I heard you shortened your hull even shorter than the 17.5. Any reason you did that over just a foldaway tongue on the trailer?
I have a fold away tongue that’s flush with the bow too. In a 20’ garage it’s tight. If I decide to put a jack plate on (if you have a tunnel you will for sure have a jack plate” that’s an extra 4”. So 17’6” hull + 4” jack plate + 24” of motor. That’s wayyyyy to close for me haha. Yes could put could always put it in at an angle. But I want to make sure I could put mine in straight.

·
Lowcountry Degen
1,755 Posts
When you do decide on which one to build bug @jglidden as he is sitting on a cnc machine and can save you days on the early work. Everyone who bought them from him say it was money well spent.
I think I'm in the minority here, but I really enjoyed the process of lofting the plans and cutting the stations out. It was very time consuming, but not "hard" work. If you are on a time crunch though, just get them cut or buy them from someone else. There is plenty of room for error, and I think feeling rushed would take away nearly all the enjoyment.

·
Brandon, FL
10,708 Posts
I think I'm in the minority here, but I really enjoyed the process of lofting the plans and cutting the stations out. It was very time consuming, but not "hard" work. If you are on a time crunch though, just get them cut or buy them from someone else. There is plenty of room for error, and I think feeling rushed would take away nearly all the enjoyment.
Spoken like a true engineer........................

·
Zephyr Cove is on FIRE!
11,600 Posts
If I was going to build one I would feel and do the same. It’s satisfying knowing you did everything.

·
Registered
Beryllium 17'
80 Posts
Not trying to take over your thread, but an update on length. With a Yamaha F70 turn to the side, no Jack plate, 17’ Beryllium, and Ramlin swing tongue I have about 4” of clearance in my 20’ garage. There is some trailer still sticking out in front of my hull but not to much. I think if you could get a trailer custom built where the hull was sticking out on both side you could fit a 17’6” in a 20’ garage.

·
Registered
Beryllium 17'
80 Posts
Sorry for the slow of this thread. On day 13 of 13 hour night shifts so doing little else than work and sleep.
I’m leaving to the 17.6 and just turning the boat sideways.
Very familiar with that schedule haha. We are finally going back to normal hours next week. If you call 5/12’s normal lol.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts